Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,285,732 times

Advertisements

Ajo y cebolla are a very important part of my diet. "Jost so yoo kno"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM

21,957 posts, read 19,080,264 times
i like the idea of a book or toy for the kid, people usually appreciate a genuine and sincere comment on their children. I've made friends with people in new towns based on common ground through the kids or kids' activities.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,002,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Ajo y cebolla are a very important part of my diet. "Jost so yoo kno"
Thank goodness I don't keep cats in my house! "Jost so yoo kno"...

Oh, something else comes to mind - harina! That's because I can't stand corn tortillas.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,853,425 times
Make her some Asian food and go out for a picnic under a fig tree....

Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,083,979 times
It's nice to reach out to someone and be friendly. However, there are people who move here who are not iunterested in learning English or assilimating to our culture. They find pockets of people who are from their country to socialize with. But if she was able to communicate that the child is a grandchild rather than her child, I'd say she's learned enough to communicate as much as she'd like. Just keep being friendly and saying hello. If she wants to learn English, she'll let you know. In the meantime, you can try Babel Fish as a written translator.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,285,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Thank goodness I don't keep cats in my house! "Jost so yoo kno"...

Oh, something else comes to mind - harina! That's because I can't stand corn tortillas.
In Spanish you gotta roll the R's for some words when you speak, so here's a good exercise:

"El Carro Rojo Corre Rapido" (The red car runs fast)

My wife brings out the white girl in her, she reads it : Ail Carrow Rowjow Coreii rapidoh.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:17 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,287,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Your Japanese sounds like my Spanish - playa, tequila, cerveza, camaron, mariscos, ajo, cebolla (the last two because I hate them and have to make sure I don't get them).
playa - si
tequila - no
cerveza - no
camaron - si
mariscos - si
ajo - no
cebolla - no

Japanese is a kick and fairly phonetic. I used to work with a Japanese lady, though Americanized, who would teach me a new word in Japanese on a daily basis. We used to laugh our a$$es off.

Seriously, though, if you want to befriend somebody of a different culture, it's not that hard to do, at least in my mind. Intentions are sometimes just as easily communicated non-verbally. I grew up in the second largest metro area in the country and made a lot of friends whose English was marginal. But if your effort doesn't work, it wasn't meant to be.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 AM

464 posts, read 1,737,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm living in an apartment complex and see this lady all the time with her little daughter walking around, looking bored. She says hi and bye but I think she is from Japan and doesn't speak much English.

I've been there (bored Mom with a little kid). I also would like to be friendly to her but I don't know how to be friendly to someone from Japan who cannot understand me.

I'm from out of the area, too (different state) so I don't know many people.

I don't want to offend her but I used to be a teacher and also volunteered doing ESL (English as a Second Language). I feel so sorry for people who are isolated not knowing English.

How should I approach her without being offensive? What if I gave the little girl a book from my son (ABCs) to 'break the ice." Should I just say hi and bye and mind my business? I have heard Japanese people are very 'closed' and don't like to be bothered.

Any comments? Anyone who knows how adult Japanese women meet and interact?

I do have a dog and the little one likes to see her.
Anyone know any simple words I can say in Japanese?
All i know in Japanese is : Sianara ,Kamakasi, and Bonzai ! What id do next time you see her walking , is just walk along with her and smile at her and say 'hello' (in english) then continue walking...even in silence if need be . She will feel your warmth and friendship which is the universal language . I think it will be a very nice experience for both of you.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 AM

736 posts, read 1,691,004 times
I know this is late...but you say you think she is from Japan. You might want to find out if indeed she is from Japan instead of assuming she is. If she's from another Asian country she might be offended if you assume she's from Japan.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:49 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,856,334 times
If she is older then the communication will probably be a problem. Are you sure she is Japanese and not Korean or Chinese?
Perhaps her cultural norms may make any real contact difficult but a smile and a few simple words can go a long way.

Last edited by the troubadour; 11-04-2010 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: spell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships