Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,636 times

Advertisements

DimSumRaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges
Maybe I don't understand what it's about. I add people on here because I enjoy their posts/learn from them and I'd like to keep up with them. I don't really expect anyone to send me regular messages because I added them.

i agree with buildings here

to me the friends are people whose posts i like and enjoy, so i ask them to be my friend, or people on a thread who enjoy my posts, and they ask me to be their friend

i don't see it at as some let's jump in the sack thing

to me it's a way of saying i enjoy your posts i like your style i admire what you stand for, i have respect for the way you express yourself and how you carry yourself on the boards, or perhaps your posts are funny and give me a good laugh. Or having people say those things to me

lordy i never even dreamed it was any more than that!
Gee, I'd like to add you, too, DimSumRaja (I like your posts!). Really, though, I thought the same thing. I didn't quite figure this out either yet.

To be honest, part of the reason I invite friends is that I like those pretty colors on the header under the name, so I thought it would brighten up people's posts! Really! When I found out that I wouldn't be able to see my own lit up, I thought it'd be nice to see someone else's lit up! It's pretty!

I also asked some people who had left nice comments for me and signed their names. There are certain people who have great posts, and I don't always notice them on the threads, and the highlighted colors make me look more closely.

Now, if I totally disagree with a poster, I wouldn't extend the hand of friendship!

I hope those I asked didn't think we were going to meet up on Messenger or something -- yikes!

To me, it's a compliment to someone whose posts I admire, find amusing, like their style of writing, or just seem nice to others (I don't like nasty posters ). They are people whom I might like in "real life."

Maybe a mod will make this clearer. I just really like some of these posters! And sometimes we do DM each other, or exchange phone numbers (really), or connect each other up with someone we know in real life! I think that's useful. I've talked to some people who are my "friends" here on the phone, and I've tried to network and connect people up with other people in different places. That's kind of how I see it.

Gosh, I didn't think it was supposed to be something other than that. I hope no one is offended if I asked them to be my friend, and I don't usually write back to say "thanks." I thought that if I asked, they knew I wanted them to join me, and that by accepting, it was sort of a mutual acknowledgement. Oh, no, hope I didn't blow it! I don't think I know the C-D Friends' Etiquette!! Help!

You're a great group! I agree with MrStewart: "Let's all be friends -- Group hug!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
You know what I find the funniest?! When I see two people who can't stand each other being somebody else's friends - both of them! The friends of our friends are not necessarily our friends. Many times such a discovery makes me wonder about my "friend"...

Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know what I find the funniest?! When I see two people who can't stand each other being somebody else's friends - both of them! The friends of our friends are not necessarily our friends. Many times such a discovery makes me wonder about my "friend"...
Instead of wondering about your friend, maybe it is worth looking at their friend and trying to see their good qualities. My best friend is friends with a woman that I really never enjoyed spending time with and now I have grown to like her very much. I think I was in a bad mood when I first met her and I was snarky with her for a long time for no reason. I hope this didn't sound preachy...my words have escaped me this evening...maybe it is the cranky mood.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Instead of wondering about your friend, maybe it is worth looking at their friend and trying to see their good qualities. My best friend is friends with a woman that I really never enjoyed spending time with and now I have grown to like her very much. I think I was in a bad mood when I first met her and I was snarky with her for a long time for no reason. I hope this didn't sound preachy...my words have escaped me this evening...maybe it is the cranky mood.
Are you planning to add artsy or something and looking for insurance against "wondering"...?!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Are you planning to add artsy or something and looking for insurance against "wondering"...?!
Awww, Artsy is cool. He is so funny! I think he is misunderstood and people may take him too seriously when he is goofing around...

I'm going to start singing "Why can't we be friends?"...

If I, a hard core Red Sox fan, can be friends with Beowulf, a die hard Yankees fan, all things are possible

Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
If I, a hard core Red Sox fan, can be friends with Beowulf, a die hard Yankees fan, all things are possible
LOL, yeah, I'm friends with the anti-smoking Nazi, too, even though in real life he won't come any near me.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
LOL, yeah, I'm friends with the anti-smoking Nazi, too, even though in real life he won't come any near me.
See, opposites attract... It's all good...group hug!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 PM

918 posts, read 1,643,224 times
I have no friends!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
See, opposites attract... It's all good...group hug!
That's why we all have these virtual friends - 'cause we can't stand each other in real life...

Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
That's why we all have these virtual friends - 'cause we can't stand each other in real life...
I have often wondered if we would like each other outside of our boxes...hmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships