Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:46 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I think you should date for two years and then be engaged for a full year before getting married so altogether 3 years before getting married.
See, I would offer an alternative view. The younger you are, the more time you should be dating or be engaged. And I really don't think anybody should be married until they've been out of school for at least three years. Because the actual business of earning a living and taking care of yourself are far better determinants of a person's quality than how well they funnel beers at the Tacky Tourist Kegger down at the Lambda Chi house.

By the time my wife and I met, I was 27 and she was 26. We both had good jobs, had rid ourselves of all our immature ways, and had acquired some wisdom. It really didn't take very long at all to figure out that we were perfect together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 01:58 AM

55 posts, read 80,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl118 View Post
lol! - not getting any sleep now. . . It's 3:24am and i'm browsing threads on cd and this is far from an equivalent.

Well. Yanno. Pizza is like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Er. What was the question again?
I was just wondering because I have a friend, and she has a boyfriend and they have been dating for 2 years, dated for one before living together and they are not engaged or married I just wondering what the deal was.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 AM

To me, I would be engaged before living together if is that series. she is 22 and he's 25.

Last edited by J2006; 10-10-2008 at 02:32 AM..

Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 PM

378 posts, read 336,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Mrs. CPG35223 and I dated three months before we were engaged. We married within 10 months of meeting one another. We both just knew.
Similar to my husband and I. We dated about three months before we were looking at engagement rings and married 18 months later. However, the first time we actually lived together was after we were married. As some one pointed out, how long a couple lives together before marriage is pretty subjective, depending on the individuals involved in the relationship and their situation.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:36 PM

901 posts, read 2,983,246 times
It depends on a lot of things. Your age, his age, how much you see each other. If you are 30+ two years should be enough

Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,854,954 times
My grandparents dating for one week. They were married for over 50 years, until they passed away.
My parents dated for 1 year, did not live together and were married for nearly 30 years until they passed away (both too soon).
I dated my first husband for 7 years, lived with him for 1 year and our marriage lasted less than 3 years.

I dated my 2nd husband for 1 year, got engaged at the 1 year point, and then we lived together for 6 months while we planned our wedding which was 1.5 years after we met. Still going strong at 15 years.

So who knows?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 PM

sounds confusing, I never dated anyone; so I was just wondering, I'm 21 and never dated before, and I'm stating to get sit in my ways dating to me now would be very awkward. simply because I've never did it before.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 AM

464 posts, read 1,738,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2006 View Post
How long do people date or live together before getting married.
Psychologists generally agree that you should date for approx. 1 year and preferably 2 years to give enough time to thoroughly know the person since youre committing the rest of your life . The first year , you are both on your best behaviour ..and between years 1 and 2, you get to see the other person as they really are . As for living together before marriage, there are alot of pitfalls associated with this with the biggest being it results in a higher rate of failed marriages according to many studies ; heres some others which our pop culture and Hollywood Movies dont tell you about because they glorify it :

1. In a Shackup situation, its the man who clearly has most of the
benefits.
2. If the man leaves, the woman has a harder time supporting herself on
her own due to nearly always making less of an income. Her life is
usually sent into upheavel. At least for a time. Its not the same for
the man.
3. If the man leaves, its almost always the woman who feels deserted,
betrayed, used for sex, etc...and due to her emotional makeup as a
woman, she is devastated for a long time to come. Sometimes irrepairably
so.
4. If there are children involved , the Man can easily abandon the
family usually without any legal ramifications whatsoever ; because
marriage never occured , he is not placed in the same class as if he
were married and abandoned his family. He gets off without having to pay
child support leaving the woman in a real financial/emotional bind. Many
times, the Grandparents are imposed upon for support of many types.
5. It whittles away at the sancitity of Marriage which is always best
for a civilized nation. God ordained marriage and is a sacred covenant
; shacking up is not.
6. It adds to societal degradation thru promoting the philosophy of
using others for selfish reasons .
7. It doesnt develop integrity on behalf of the participants because
usually when things get too difficult and repeated...instead of being
committed to working it out, the door being left ajar is a greater
enticement . Its far easier to do than in a marriage.
8. Fornication is a violation of an absolute moral law and with it comes
plenty of ramifications ; some of which i list herewith. Others which i
have not.
9. Often, a subconscious or overt disrespect toward the woman , occurs
in the man because she is often seen as someone not having the required
respect for herself ,which the man appreciates.
10. The participants know, inherently, that its wrong to do but still
choose to suppress their moral consciences to accomodate the fun and
intrique that playing house affords . (at least it does initially).

Old 10-15-2008, 12:10 AM

Thats why I didn't think it was a good Idea to live with someone before marriage

Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 AM

8 posts, read 19,222 times
Dating is like Highschool football, you sweat and learn how to handle the ball's properly and try and get a touchdown, but once you do you want to make more of them.

Living Togther is like : Is like College football you know how to handle your footballs , you learn to take good care of them. and you know how to use them well. And you score more then ever, seems the better your balls are handled the more touch downs you make.

Being Engaged, Is like Pro Foot Ball, some one loves how you play football and is willing to make your game play special, the want you to make hard not fast touch downs and make sure the other players know when your balls hit the spot, there is sure to be points scored.

Being Married , Is Like being the news caster at the pro games, you know the balls and where they should go, you know what its like to score big, and make the crowd smile. But the only time your foot ball is carried to a touch down line is when they clean the house and dust your old ball.
:-)
Commentery of your footballs brought to you by
Cybertoad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships