Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Advertisements

No, Jeepers - you're not a birdbrain! (Caw! Caw!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Ok, so no one thinks I am a birdbrain, I admit that I am juggling offline things here while skimming threads. I await to find out his reaction. What would we do without you LovesMountains to keep us all in check?
hahahahahaha - just doing my job (the job of self-appointed accuracy monitor, LOL!)

Old 10-09-2008, 02:04 PM

27 posts, read 147,407 times
Default Offered to move

When I initially offered to move (six months ago) he was very overjoyed! We started talking about where we were going to live & how far I would have to drive to work. Then I got scared!! I currently live in MD and he lives in Syracuse...I work for the federal government and he works for the city of Syracuse. His response to me was that it would be so much harder for him to get a job in MD because as a firefighter he would have to start all over again, he couldn't just transfer his job and he doesn't have a degree (I have two). I did do my research and discovered that he would have to re-take the test and wait to find out if he was selected, go through training again (yadda, yadda, yadda) so I pulled back and told him I wasn't moving because I would be giving up everything and didn't feel like he would be willing to make a sacrafice (excuse the spelling) for me.

So now that we have revisited this idea, and I am serious about moving and am taking the necessary steps to make things happen (without having to give up my job)...he sems a little reluctant. I can't blame him because I did back out after much planning the first time, but I am serious this time.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
How do you stay in a long distance relationship for 4 yrs? I think there may be another woman. But in any case I dont see you guys lasting much longer. After 4yrs of long distance he should be more than ready for you guys to be together......prepare for the worst...hope for the best.
You stay in a long distance relationship for 4 years because you love each other and are willing to make it work. Situations and circumstances (careers & school) would not allow us to be physically together until now. He is ready for us to be in the same state, I just don't know why he is in this funk all of a sudden.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_lady View Post
You stay in a long distance relationship for 4 years because you love each other and are willing to make it work.
Not necessarily... It can be a perfect game for emotionally unavailable people who panic when push comes to shove, aka the possibility of really being together comes up.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not necessarily... It can be a perfect game for emotionally unavailable people who panic when push comes to shove, aka the possibility of really being together comes up.
Well if you want to look at the pessimistic side of things, I could see how you could say that . There are a lot of couples that are in long distance relationships and it works. In my opinion you would have to be a very emotionally strong individual to be in a long-distance relationship.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
I'm sorry, if the man is not willing to swim thru crocidile infested waters to bring you a glass of lemonade on a hot day - he is not the man to marry or move in with if you hope to one day marry. By the same token, if you aren't willing to put the relationship before your career, YOU aren't the woman for him either, right now.

When people truly love one another they will walk thru fire for one another. There is no shame in not being ready for that kind of committment, but if that kind of commitment is not there the relationship is not ready for the next step, marriage.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Well thanks for all the posts. They were very insightful.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_lady View Post
Well if you want to look at the pessimistic side of things, I could see how you could say that . There are a lot of couples that are in long distance relationships and it works. In my opinion you would have to be a very emotionally strong individual to be in a long-distance relationship.
OK. We'll live to see if you care to share the further development.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
f you aren't willing to put the relationship before your career, YOU aren't the woman for him either, right now.
If that is truly the case...then I guess I will never be married! I worked entirely too hard to obtain my degrees to give up my career. I refuse to settle for less when I am worth so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships