Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,091,372 times

Advertisements

Well the good thing about these restaurant and bar smoking bans is that perhaps one day in the future, young people will finally get a clue and not smoke at all. It's a nasty, unhealthy and expensive habit. There should be no tobacco products for sale anywhere in the world. Chewing tobacco is also disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Before he made the move, he gave me a piece of gum.
Were this to happen to me, the dear visitor would find his way to the door in a jiffy.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:50 PM

754 posts, read 1,447,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well the good thing about these restaurant and bar smoking bans is that perhaps one day in the future, young people will finally get a clue and not smoke at all. It's a nasty, unhealthy and expensive habit. There should be no tobacco products for sale anywhere in the world. Chewing tobacco is also disgusting.
Well that's fine, but as long as alcohol and fast food are banned as well. Let's not forget to make exercise mandatory, and anyone with a high BMI should be put on probation immediately. I mean if you're going to ban unhealthy things you can't just stop at cigarettes. Anything short of that would be hypocrisy.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
Well that's fine, but as long as alcohol and fast food are banned as well.
Don't worry about it - it's getting there.

Quote:
I mean if you're going to ban unhealthy things you can't just stop at cigarettes.
Oh, no, they've no plans to stop! In case you don't know who started the latest witch hunt against smokers in recent history, google it.

Here's an updated version of the Pastor Martin Niemöller's famous poem, First they came...

WebWeaver's World: First they came for the Jews... variations on a theme

Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Don't worry about it - it's getting there.

Oh, no, they've no plans to stop! In case you don't know who started the latest witch hunt against smokers in recent history, google it.

Here's an updated version of the Pastor Martin Niemöller's famous poem, First they came...

WebWeaver's World: First they came for the Jews... variations on a theme
Very interesting, but it makes a lot of sense. Makes me wonder what's next. If cigarettes are banned, McDonalds is going down . All the people who complained about smoking in restaurants, lets see how they like it when they can't order a glass of wine LOL!!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
All the people who complained about smoking in restaurants, lets see how they like it when they can't order a glass of wine LOL!!
Well, if the (ok) people are not so dumb and selfish, none of this would happen so easily, but they embrace every agenda sent down the pipes not realizing their turn will come soon enough.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,210,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, if the (ok) people are not so dumb and selfish, none of this would happen so easily, but they embrace every agenda sent down the pipes not realizing their turn will come soon enough.
I see your point, but someone ordering a glass of wine doesn't effect my enjoyment of my meal and it can't give me cancer.
Breathing second hand smoke can do both of those things. I don't think it's quite the same to be honest.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,453,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Ok. Lets hear the good and the bad....from the smokers..being married too, or not, from their partner.
Is it an issue for you, in your relationship?
I am unfortunetly, a smoker. :-( Not something I am proud of, but I am.)
My husband, is a non-smoker. He doesn`t say much, but I know he don`t like it. What non-smoker does, right?
If they knew they were a smoker though, before you married, what gives them the right to ...b----...(complain)
now?
I've dated smokers before and obviously it's not the same as when you're married because you're around the person more when you're married and most things tend to get on each others nerves anyway...

As for the smoking,I find it disgusting because
1)That chronic,phlegmmy smokers cough...*yuk*
2)Sucks up my oxygen not to mention contributing to second-hand smoke health problems.
3)The irritating addictive behaviors like freaking out when you run low on cigs or making me go out to the store to get them for you,thus flawing my 'non-smoker' image
4)Prematurely aging yourself while we're married to you so later on you've got elephant-hide skin while we have to watch younger,prettier girls go by

Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 PM

926 posts, read 2,743,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Ok. Lets hear the good and the bad....from the smokers..being married too, or not, from their partner.
Is it an issue for you, in your relationship?
I am unfortunetly, a smoker. :-( Not something I am proud of, but I am.)
My husband, is a non-smoker. He doesn`t say much, but I know he don`t like it. What non-smoker does, right?
If they knew they were a smoker though, before you married, what gives them the right to ...b----...(complain)
now?
I agree with you 100% I dont smoke but 90% of my ex's did and though I put up with it because I did love them (you have to lolve an entire person, bad habits and all to truly love someone lol) I did have my rules.

1.They could not blow smoke in my face. If they smoke near me they have to blow it in the opposite direction. If it was cold and we were driving they would eithe rhave to freeze because we would drive with THEIR window down so they could smoke or hold off till we got somewhere warmer.

2. Brush your teeth before kissing me. I dont want to taste what I dont like lol

3. You must change clothes, take a shower AND wash your hair before getting in my bed because I dont want the smoky smell on my sheets lol

If they can do those three things then I accepted them smoking. If not then they either sleep on the floor or can't smoke near me

Old 10-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I see your point, but someone ordering a glass of wine doesn't effect my enjoyment of my meal and it can't give me cancer.
Breathing second hand smoke can do both of those things. I don't think it's quite the same to be honest.

The chances of getting cancer from 2nd hand smoke over the course of a dinner, is impossible. You may be unaware of this, but all the hoopla over 2nd hand smoke was proven to be greatly exaggerated. Also, no one here is arguing whether or not smoking is good for you and I also respect anyone's opinion who doesn't want to be around cigarette smoke. However, what I'm saying is it is pure hypocrisy to act like smoking is killing off everyone in America and conveniently forgetting about whatever vice(s) you may have. Vices that equally dangerous not only to yourself but others as well. So, go ahead and have your glass of wine with dinner, but if you have more than one please let someone else drive you home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships