Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,969 times

Advertisements

Is there a certain feeling inside....?
I haven't been happy for about a year now; I don't feel like typing all the details right now but was just looking for some advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
There could be a lot of reasons you are not happy that aren't necessarily the fault of the marriage.

Unhappiness doesn't mean the union is over. People seem to quick to ditch a marriage that somehow doesn't fulfill their expectations all the time every day year after year.

Maybe I'm just being grumpy, this forum really pi$$es me off as lot. People throwing their own children out of the house because of friction and disappointments. People who believe the elderly to be old fools past their sell-by date. People who just can't make a commitment to other people in their lives and stick to it.

America seems like a throw away culture. Our spouses, our appliances, our kids, our old people, our vows, our pets, our jobs. Throw it out and get a new one, we'll surely be happier without the old one.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,004 times
I have felt it for years yet here I am still married to the "paycheck".

Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I wish someone would come along with an easy answer.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Perhaps our unhappiness is rooted in a cultural anomaly upheld by the Constitution that guarantees us the "pursuit of happiness." This is found nowhere else in the world.

In other places people don't expect to pursue 'happiness'. One raises one's children because it is the duty of the parent to do so, not because it necessarily creates happiness. One takes care of the elderly because it is the right thing to do, not because of some utopian vision of happiness. One endures the difficult times of marriage because one has made a commitment to do so whether happiness is the constant result or not.

Happiness is not the be all end all of our existence. We must do many things that make us unhappy. Happiness is not a daily condition of life. It comes and it goes.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:30 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Is there a certain feeling inside....?
I haven't been happy for about a year now; I don't feel like typing all the details right now but was just looking for some advice...
If we knew more about it, we might be able to determine whether you're unhappy in general, or if there is something about your husband that makes you unhappy. Need to know more. Feelings can be misleading and can change depending on making changes and may not be a trustworthy guide for ending a marriage.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Okay guess I better include some details......

1) We are a young couple. I was married at 21 and we've been together about 5 years now. I never really got to experience dating & single life....just being free basically.

2) I am concerned about his drinking. He used to drink WAY too much and now is down to a few nights a week, a 6pack each time. He can't have just one though. He does hold a job down and is a hard worker but I grew up around alcoholics so it drives me nuts. He won't stop completely and feels he has cut back enough.

3) Our sex life sucks...I don't know what the problem is but we are lucky to have it twice a month if that. Which is not right for people in their 20's, IMO !!!!

4) He is generally a couch potato which I can't stand. I'm not super active but I don't like to spend the whole weekend watching tv.

5) I don't feel like we "connect". He is not intellectual AT ALL. We were raised completely different and I know that contributes to this but I'm finding myself wanting someone more educated and intellectual. Not just the "joe 6pack" type of guy.

6) I would love to be a stay at home mom after I have my first child and he wants no part of that. Thinks it's me wanting to be "lazy".

There are many other things but these are what I could think of right now. I'm really tired - I have 3 midterms this coming week!
Thank you for all the advice.....

Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,772 times
Don't walk away from your marriage, don't do anything , just try to relax first ,and make yourself normal. It is a big mistake to make decisions when you are on pressure or feel angry and sad .You need to think clearly about your life.
I want to ask you a question: Do you think one sad year is a reason enough to end your marriage???

Last edited by Mona Mee; 10-19-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,245 times
I think that when its time to leave you'll know. When you cant take it anymore, when your mental health is suffering, when you are the only one trying. Its sometihing YOU KNOW...IMHO when its time to let go. Have you given it your all? Have you exhausted all other options?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 PM

I don't know the answer to your question monaliza. Yes and no. Yes because I'm only 23 and I don't want to waste any more years of my life. No because I do love my husband and he is generally good to me. I have felt weird/different for awhile now and I don't know what to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships