Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM

926 posts, read 2,744,883 times

Advertisements

What do you do for a living and is it fulfilling? I am a Health Educator and it is extremelly fulfilling- I love helping people and getting the opportunity to change lives
Do you really enjoy your work or is it just a paycheck? This is my dream job, I get to travel all over the US on someone elses dime (hotel, food, rental car etc I charge to my corporate credit card) and I only "work" 8am-12pm!
Would you like to be doing something that gives you greater sense of happiness but you can't afford to switch jobs? I dont think it gets better than this
What would be your ultimate job that would give you the most joy? If finance's were not an issue. a housewife....seriously lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,605,904 times
I don't like my job...that doesn't mean I don't give it my best. Work is not MEANT to be enjoyed. So no job would give me joy. Even if it was something that I HAD enjoyed doing prior to it becoming a job. Once I depend on it, it ceases to be "fun".

Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,899,793 times
What! Some work can be enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't like my job...that doesn't mean I don't give it my best. Work is not MEANT to be enjoyed. So no job would give me joy. Even if it was something that I HAD enjoyed doing prior to it becoming a job. Once I depend on it, it ceases to be "fun".

Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,022,559 times
My job is a paycheck. Period. If I won the lottery, I'd bring in a stereo blasting "Take this Job and Shove it" before I walked into the office and quit.

Id miss my co-workers and a minute few of my customers. But other than that...nothing. Id walk out and borrow a few lines from Dr. King. "Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty Im free at last".

But I dont sit around and think about these things of course...

Old 10-21-2008, 03:58 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,655,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
What do you do for a living and is it fulfilling? I am a Health Educator and it is extremelly fulfilling- I love helping people and getting the opportunity to change lives
Do you really enjoy your work or is it just a paycheck? This is my dream job, I get to travel all over the US on someone elses dime (hotel, food, rental car etc I charge to my corporate credit card) and I only "work" 8am-12pm!
Would you like to be doing something that gives you greater sense of happiness but you can't afford to switch jobs? I dont think it gets better than this
What would be your ultimate job that would give you the most joy? If finance's were not an issue. a housewife....seriously lol
A housewife?.... Seriously? Its never ending and the paycheck isn't so great.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,655,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
I'm a stay-at-home wife with no kids and I LOVE MY JOB!

I wanted to be a stay-at-home wife since I was very little... and I was told over and over growing up how I could be "so much more".

I worked a good job before retiring 6 years ago to have my dream job.

Although I don't make money at what I do... I get "paid" way more than any job could ever give me. The benefits of my job roll over onto my husband also. A stress-free wife to come home to, who's spent all day thinking of ways to make him happy when he gets home ('cuz I like doing that). My husband provides us a house and I provide us a home.

I suppose I'll get flak for posting in this thread simply because I don't leave the house and collect a pay check, but my current job brings me GREAT joy and that was the OP's question.

I'd really hope everyone had a job they enjoyed. IMO, that's a huge factor in the outcome of so many other areas of life. Going to a job you dislike everyday can easily be reflected into many aspects of ones life... and not in a good way.
I'm glad that this gives you so much satisfaction. I, on the other hand, am in a "stay at home mom burnout" phase. I need to go back to work soon. I was all set to start work but then I had daycare issues. Now I am climbing the walls. If I see one more Dora cartoon I think I'll lose my mind.....Too late.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,311,263 times
I love my job, I just hate my coworkers (some of them).

Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,630,318 times
Nope. My current job gives me angina LOL I'm kidding, but it's definitely not my dream job. If I could, If I were younger, had more money, better situation, the stars all aligned, I'd have this amazing horse barn and give lessons to poor kids and teach people about the wonders of horses but, I digress. I's poor, aint got no money and aint got no edamucation LOL - Ok, that's a lie too.

I'm actually fairly intelligent, articulate and well spoken however, I don't have a lot of money, I do live paycheck to paycheck and my dreams seem to get further and further from me but I'm happy and hey, with our ecomony the way it is, I have to keep my job. I work for a military installation in a medical setting, surrounded by friends that I actually do hang out with outside of work and if it weren't for the so-so pay and the crappy patients with attitudes that I'm forever knocking down a few notches, then yes, I'd be in hog heaven.
I go home with not a lot of concern about my job, and not a lot of stress. I wish it paid more but I had to get a job and hey, it's work. I took a big pay cut to come here but a lot less stress. I guess it balances out.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:39 AM

36,352 posts, read 30,733,900 times
What do you do for a living and is it fulfilling? Data manager and algal taxonomist for an environmental consulting company. No.

Do you really enjoy your work or is it just a paycheck? Its a gravy job, but I dont enjoy it. Really like my paycheck tho.

Would you like to be doing something that gives you greater sense of happiness but you can't afford to switch jobs? yes

What would be your ultimate job that would give you the most joy? If finance's were not an issue. No job. I want to stay home and work on my house and landscaping, ride my horses more, play with the dogs, take care of my grandkids. Boring, I guess, but I've had to work since I was 16 and now I just want to stay home.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,302,714 times
I now have my fingers in three different pies but 3 years ago I decided to start something new. It meant a 60% cut at first in what I made prior but I love it...wish I had done it earlier. I now have 10 people in London working for me and another 4 in other parts of the UK that I have branched out to. Most days I love what I do and feel good knowing how much it helps others. Looking to franchise it a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships