Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I did tell her that and guess what? She sent me to hell.
Well, forgive me for being presumptuous, but I just can't imagine why you'd put up with that. Heck, I've known all kinds of people who lived a questionable life and, even in the worst cases, I'd never think in those terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
I am Catholic and my wife's Christian and she's constantly telling me that I am going to hell. What is it with Christian people and the whole "hell" issue? She says Catholics are Christians who don't give a hoot.
Excuse my ignorance of religion, but to the best of my knowledge Catholics ARE Christians... What in the world is the difference?

Is that what the deal is about?

There are many Christian denominations and churches: Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, and so on. Being a member of one doesn't determine whether a person is a Christian.

The real issue is whether the person individually has Jesus Christ living inside of him or her...if they actually have a personal relationship with God.

Q & A: Is there a difference between Catholic and Christian?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, forgive me for being presumptuous, but I just can't imagine why you'd put up with that. Heck, I've known all kinds of people who lived a questionable life and, even in the worst cases, I'd never think in those terms.
I was kind of joking on this last quote. But we do sometimes get at it on the you're going to hell part.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I was kind of joking on this last quote. But we do sometimes get at it on the you're going to hell part.
To me it would sound like an attempt to scare a dog with a big bone! I'm headed there anyway and I prefer it to boot!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Excuse my ignorance of religion, but to the best of my knowledge Catholics ARE Christians... What in the world is the difference?

Is that what the deal is about?
Exactly. As long as I believe in God is enough for me to have spiritual peace with myself regardless of what other religious people say. Amen.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I was Protestant, my first husband was Catholic. He never attended church, but was still adamant that any other religion was unacceptable. I thought Catholicism was very unsatisfying. Anyway, the net result was that we never went to church at all, and our kids never had a firm religious framework, which I regret.
My daughter, who managed to have some foundation in the protestant church through her own initiative, married a Catholic and decided that it didn't much matter to her where she went, so for the sake of family unity, she became a Catholic. She's a questioning one and kind of does her own thing, but at least their kids have the firm foundation and structure of a belief system.
In answer to the OP, I think it is more important than you realize until it is too late. It may even only manifest itself by a feeling that your partner thinks his religion is superior to yours..that somehow you are ignorant for not having the same beliefs. Not good for a relationship.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Sounds like it's really a serious issue for some people. I've no experience dealing with it, but what I do know is that nobody can drag me to church on Sunday mornings, I don't think... I'll leave it open to additional deliberating, though, when exceptions are involved – say the likes of Antonio Banderas. Lordie, I'm soooo compromising I can hardly stand it!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Ive been in inter-religious relationships and was also born into one. I have never had any problems with any of the inter-religious relationships Ive been in and dont think that it would be a big problem if two people have different religious views. Well, only if one is a bible thumping, conservative republican Billy Graham Evangelical southern white Christian then there may be a problem because those types are usually not very open to others who are different from them.

My first wife was buddhist, had one long time girlfriend who was Jewish, another who was catholic, my wife isnt really religious (old Soviet upbringing) and we've never had any problems.

My father was a southern baptist from deep deep deep south Mississippi and my mother a Jeohovas
Witness. The were married almost 50 years until death did them part and they never had any issues relating to their religion.

Again, I think the only people who would have problems with this are those Jerry Falwell conservative republican white southern gun toting right to life types. Pretty much anyone else would be open to it and have no problems with it.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I also have some very close friends who just go married after dating for several years. She's of Persian background and he's a Filipino catholic. Their wedding was wonderful as they had both readings from the Koran and from the Bible.

They never had a problem with their religions and are totally happy. The fact that they are both highly educated Im sure plays a major part as well.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Again, I think the only people who would have problems with this are those Jerry Falwell conservative republican white southern gun toting right to life types. Pretty much anyone else would be open to it and have no problems with it.
You know, I love cuddling on weekend mornings. Let's place these 2 items on a male scale: sex... chuch... ; church... sex... What's gonna win, guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships