Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:27 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times

Advertisements

If so, why?

Im normally pretty restrained and even tempered but my friend set me up on a blind date tonight with this guy from out of town and he was being such a jerk I left in the middle of the meal. Didnt even wait for the waiter to bring my take away box lol. He first got under my skin when he was claming to be a native Chicagoan when he was born and raised in Indianapolis. Actually he just moved to Chicago two years ago. He kept making comments like "as a native Chicagoan yourself you know what Im talking about", but he was so wrong on his facts about the city! Fine, call yourself a Chicagoan but dont lie and say native. Or better yet, just keep it real and rep your own city. Then he started making horrible comments about our waiter being gay but he used a bad word for it that begins with an "f" and he was saying it pretty loud too, but the last straw came when he said that he no longer felt comfortable in the restaurant because the hostess looks like a suicide bomber waiting to "do something in the name of Allah". We were in a f*cking French restaurant!!!!!! How stupid can you be???

Last edited by babigyrl5; 10-24-2008 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
I pay a lot of attention to the way that someone treats the wait staff. As it's said, that is the way they will supposedly will treat you in 5 or 10 years. . .good for you for walking out.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:37 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
An A$$hole is an A$$hole...period.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I pay a lot of attention to the way that someone treats the wait staff. As it's said, that is the way they will supposedly will treat you in 5 or 10 years. . .good for you for walking out.
you bring up a good point and I think im going to go back to the restaurant tomorrow and give the waiter a tip becuase Im sure he didnt leave one...

Old 10-24-2008, 09:42 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
An A$$hole is an A$$hole...period.
Amen to that! This guy is a freak...

Old 10-24-2008, 09:42 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
He was worth walking out on! You showed a lot of patience. I might have left earlier.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I think this old cliche is a bit overrated and ridiculous. So what... everybody should put up with substandard and unfriendly wait staff just to make a good impression on his/her date...?! I wouldn't be that impressed by spineless docility if I see myself the waiters are rude or unprofessional.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
haha, well that's true. I'm never rude to service industry people unless they really push the line. Usually I'm the kind of person who is very nice and polite about something when I ask a first time. After that all bets are off. If I'm in a good mood you could get a second very polite request. But if I have to bring it up again I will literally make sure that I ruin your day and everyone else's experience if that's what it takes to be heard. I just don't have the patience as a customer to put up with bullcrap. One time I went to a movie theater and the film started playing, for 15 minutes, without any sound at all. They didn't fix it and we were all wondering what was up. Then the manager comes in and says, gee, sorry, but if we restart the movie we can't show it again after this and sell more tickets, so you guys are boned. We'll give you a free movie pass, though! That was enough to ignite my rage, and when I'm angry boy you don't want to be on my bad side. A PASS?!?! Not even a refund?! I went to that guy, who was probably only about 28, and told him how inexcusable it is to have an issue like this continue for so long, and he tried to blame the projectionist, first sign of a bad manager -- anything that happens on your watch is YOUR fault. Don't like it? Don't be a manager! I'm a director -- when I make something that turns out bad, I can't blame my employees. It was MY job to direct them. Then he starts attacking me, basically, saying I'm being unreasonable by complaining about the situation. I told him he just wasted more than an hour of my time driving here and back, sitting through this, and now arguing with him. Finally, in the end, he apologized, said he was sorry for sounding like an ass, and he gave me 3 free movie tickets. Nobody else got that, only me, because I complained and made him see it from my perspective that he owed me more than just a refund, he owed me for time I'll never get back.

I think too many people are spineless in the face of bad service. As a customer, I'm always right. End of story. If I'm wrong? Refer to rule #1 -- the customer is ALWAYS RIGHT. One time we ate a meal in Hawaii and my dad thought it was awful, the service was bad, etc. When the manager came over to ask how things were, my dad said, "Terrible. Worst service I've ever had. It was a bad experience from the start and I'd never come here again." The manager apologized, said he was really sorry it wasn't a better experience and was hoping that maybe we'd give it a try again. He comped the entire $200 meal. Now, some people could say my dad was being rude, an ass, and a pushy customer. But when you're paying big bucks you have the right to expect quality, and he always does expect that, so it's his right as a customer to complain about a meal that didn't meet expectations. And that saved him $200.

I have a friend I've known for 10 years who says I "embarrassed" him by speaking up that time at the movie theater, but now he's started to realize it's not embarrassing or wrong to speak up when you're not getting your way and you're paying for it.

The worst instance yet was in Vegas only maybe last year, I guess, early 2007. I was there with another friend, and we went to see some exotic cars. I didn't care much, really it was for my friend and his girlfriend. My dad has several exotic cars, one of which they had on display there anyway, so I wasn't hugely excited about this but whatever it's fun enough. So we go in there, we were about 5th in line, our group that is, and we walk around this railing looking at the cars, then walk up the stairs. They're apparently going to do some sort of show, which we didn't even really care about. So this guy ushers us over and tells us to keep walking this way. It was kind of annoying, we didn't want to be shoved over there, but whatever. So we walk over and we're waiting for whatever the show is to start. Then the guy with the microphone says, "Hey all you guys up there, you're going to have to crowd down here," and at first I just looked at my friend and said, "What does he want?" I didn't even really understand what was going on. Then this guy tries to tell us to move the other way, and wants like 40 of us to crowd behind this other group for some reason, where we couldn't even see. People get frustrated and cranky, but when you push me I don't get frustrated and cranky, I get flat-out angry and I will seriously make you regret showing up for work that day. So I yelled down to the guy with the mic, "We already moved, we don't want to move again!" He was like, "You have to move over there." I said, "I'm not moving anywhere -- if you want to move me, come and make me." Then he was like, "Ohhh wow someone is angry," and I yelled back, "You want to see angry? Come up here and I'll show you angry you *********." Then he was really surprised, didn't even know what to say, and I said, "I want my money back NOW!" And about 12 other people yelled, "Yeah! This is *****! Give us our money back!" So then there was this angry mob scene and about 20 of us stormed out and got our money back, it was hilarious. I was the first one out and told the lady, "I want my money back now. This show was total horse crap and you guys are (blanks)." She just looks at her manager confused, "What should I do?" The manager yells at her, "Give the man his money back!!!" She hurriedly pulls a ten out of the cash register and gives it to me. I was so ticked off that day, good god. I do not take kindly to businesses trying to rip me off or people trying to push me around. Sometimes it takes one person with a spine to get other people to do what they should do, too, like in that case -- everyone was thinking it. We were all pissed off. I just happened to be the match in the room full of gas

Old 10-24-2008, 11:17 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I had to insist a date take me home.. unfortunately I wasn't in my own car. I was young and stupid, what can I say.... it wasn't exactly a blind date but I'd met him once briefly, 3 days before the date, so close enough.

It started when he insisted on buying me alcohol before we even went to dinner (stopped at a corner store) despite my insistence that I wasn't going to be drinking before dinner...he ignored me and bought the alcohol anyway.

It got really scary when he went into the store and I reached under the seat to slide my seat back and found his gun, then opened the ashtray and found bullets.

It escalated when he was persistently vague about exactly where he was taking me...

I played sick and made him take me home, but was afraid he wouldn't!

What was awful about the whole thing was this was a potential employer. I'd applied for a job at his place of business and this was supposed to be a dinner date for the purpose of discussing the available position and my "suitability"!

(jeez louise was i naive!)

Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think this old cliche is a bit overrated and ridiculous. So what... everybody should put up with substandard and unfriendly wait staff just to make a good impression on his/her date...?! I wouldn't be that impressed by spineless docility if I see myself the waiters are rude or unprofessional.
I mean it in terms when the wait staff is not acting out of sorts. When they ARE acting like jerks, they should be treated like jerks back. I meant in situations in general where wait staff is actually pleasant and tries to please. Not the A-typical situations where you want to bash their head in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships