Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:21 PM

156 posts, read 270,163 times

Advertisements

I wrote awhile back about my husband's driving anxiety. Well we ended up moving closer to his job.

We found a nice therapist also. He says it's helping. However when we go, we have to go all the way around the town in the opposite direction and back down south to get there. When from work it's like a 15-20 minute drive. It takes 45 minutes instead. He refuses to let me drive, he has to drive and take the long way.

Now that we moved, he wants to change the appointment times to during the day and wants us to take a 2 hr lunch every week. Before we were going in the evening. I feel like he's sabatoging this, sabatoging my job and his job as well.

I feel really stressed out. Today I still had to drive him to work and on top of that pick him during lunch bc his cafeteria was closed. He calls repeatedly wondering when I'm coming for lunch and when I'm picking him up after work. He started calling at like 4pm wondering when I will pick him up. I have meetings at 4 every Monday. I feel so stressed, I don't know what to do. I feel like running away. He's a nice guy and provides well financially. But I feel suffocated, stressed out, feeling resentful and feel like screaming all the time. I am beginning to hate him.

I don't know how to solve this and I don't know how to destress myself and not feel this hatred and anger any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
I wrote awhile back about my husband's driving anxiety. Well we ended up moving closer to his job.

We found a nice therapist also. He says it's helping. However when we go, we have to go all the way around the town in the opposite direction and back down south to get there. When from work it's like a 15-20 minute drive. It takes 45 minutes instead. He refuses to let me drive, he has to drive and take the long way.

Now that we moved, he wants to change the appointment times to during the day and wants us to take a 2 hr lunch every week. Before we were going in the evening. I feel like he's sabatoging this, sabatoging my job and his job as well.

I feel really stressed out. Today I still had to drive him to work and on top of that pick him during lunch bc his cafeteria was closed. He calls repeatedly wondering when I'm coming for lunch and when I'm picking him up after work. He started calling at like 4pm wondering when I will pick him up. I have meetings at 4 every Monday. I feel so stressed, I don't know what to do. I feel like running away. He's a nice guy and provides well financially. But I feel suffocated, stressed out, feeling resentful and feel like screaming all the time. I am beginning to hate him.

I don't know how to solve this and I don't know how to destress myself and not feel this hatred and anger any longer.
Sorry you are going though this..I can understand your frustration. Since you are already seeing a therapists bring this up in one of your sessions.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
You need to tell him. I don't have your same problem, but I know all too well about that hatred feeling. Probably best to bring it up at the next counseling session.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
I remember your original post.

First, I'm glad you two are going to therapy.

Second, maybe it's just a matter of time, going to therapy, before you see any results in his anxiety behaviour.

Hope you can hang in there long enough to see positive changes.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,680 times
I was thinking the same thing- bring it up in therapy. Sorry you are stressed out, i know you feel like you are on the verge of being worn out with all you do. What about telling him you no longer can take two hour lunches because your boss dissaproves and you need to go back to evenings? Why does he have to drive the long way? Tell him if you are going to sacrafice your lunch you have to take the short way because you have to get back in time/have things to do/gas is expensive etc...
and how about emailing him a schedule- of your meetings and the times you will pick him up- so that way he knows and wont call

Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:

That is just horrible. He seems to think that his anxiety is your problem, too. Classic co-dependency.

My advice to you: Put up some strong boundaries and tell him you are not able to accompany him on these insane roundabout outings. He will then unleash his anger, and you will see clearly what an angry intolerable person he is. Then get yourself out of this relationship.

Right now the anger you are expressing is HIS. When you put up the boundaries, he will express HIS anger and YOU will start to see the TRUTH.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
perhaps some ECT Therapy for the both of you?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
That is just horrible. He seems to think that his anxiety is your problem, too. Classic co-dependency.

My advice to you: Put up some strong boundaries and tell him you are not able to accompany him on these insane roundabout outings. He will then unleash his anger, and you will see clearly what an angry intolerable person he is. Then get yourself out of this relationship.

Right now the anger you are expressing is HIS. When you put up the boundaries, he will express HIS anger and YOU will start to see the TRUTH.
I agree with part of your advice..."Put up some strong boundaries and tell him you are not able to accompany him on these insane roundabout outings"

This is really what callalillie needs to do - no question about it - quit enabling this disabling anxiety.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 AM

156 posts, read 270,163 times
So how do I stop enabling him? I think I am definitely doing that. Should I say no to the 2 hour lunch appointment? Maybe I have to say, we will only go evening appointment and the short way. But I don't think that will work, bc he just won't go the appointment. He'll just cancel it. I can't force him to go, it's not like I can pick him up and tie him down lol.

How about for other things like if he needs to go somewhere or needs something dropped off at the post office or oil changes or dmv etc? Do I just not do it? Or do the things that I have to like car inspected (or else we'll get a fine)? And not do the rest?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
So how do I stop enabling him? I think I am definitely doing that. Should I say no to the 2 hour lunch appointment? Maybe I have to say, we will only go evening appointment and the short way. But I don't think that will work, bc he just won't go the appointment. He'll just cancel it. I can't force him to go, it's not like I can pick him up and tie him down lol.

How about for other things like if he needs to go somewhere or needs something dropped off at the post office or oil changes or dmv etc? Do I just not do it? Or do the things that I have to like car inspected (or else we'll get a fine)? And not do the rest?
There's an old truism I learned in a sociology class years ago - the person with the least amount of interest in a relationship has the most amount of control in the relationship. You are so busy trying to do all you can to make this all be alright that you are running around like a puppet on a string. HE IS MANIPULATING YOU. I am very sympathetic to his problems, really I am, but if he is allowed to continue to be the puppet master this stuff will never get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships