Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:34 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to my friend's wedding tomorrow evening. I've known her since high school and we kind of drifted apart after graduation. She looked me up when she moved to my city after college. We hadn't spoken in about 5 years. Our friendship has always been one of convenience. For her. She'd hang out as long as nothing better or exciting. She's fun to hang out with, so no big deal. Well, I got married last year and she attended my wedding because we'd been hanging out ever since she'd moved to town. She didn't bring a gift or a card. I didn't even realize until I was writing thank yous a couple months later. It really didn't bother me until I received her invitation in the mail a couple months ago with wedding registry cards in it. Should I buy her a gift? I'm only attending the ceremony because my husband can't make it and I really don't want to go alone and see a bunch of people I went to high school with. I believe the ceremony is the most important part anyway. I highly doubt I'll ever see her after the wedding because she's moving out of state to be with her new hubby. Should I buy a gift? Please justify your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:07 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Yes you should go & bring a gift. At the very least, doing so should bring you some small measure of satisfaction that you are not the cretin she is. Be the bigger person. However, I would not get her something she's registered for. Get her & her husband-to-be something very affordable, but very appropriate to your friendship with her.

My suggestion, if she celebrates, is to get them a Christmas ornament. 10 to 50 bucks, depending on how elaborate you want to be. She'll either think of you fondly every year she hangs it on the tree; or she won't remember where the devil it came from!!! One of my favorite things is decorating the Christmas tree every year & how almost every ornament comes with a special memory...

Not bringing a gift, IMO, won't make you feel any sort of justification....it'll just make you feel....devoid of any good will toward her? In which case, why go to the wedding at all?

Purely my opinion of course!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
If you don't want to get her a gift, then don't. It's not even a tit for tat thing. If the desire to give a gift isn't there, then don't incur bad karma by false gift giving. Wow. That was an odd sentence. I'm sure someone else can say that a lot better. Now, if you feel it's just rotten to not bring a gift, then maybe you can give them a gift certificate. Those are pretty easy to come by.

Honestly, in your shoes I'd bring a gift. I'm just a sucker for tradition sometimes.

Last edited by fjtee; 10-31-2008 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: submitted too soon

Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
If you feel it is a relationship of convenience, why are you going at all? It sounds like you are both playing games...if you go, go for the right intentions...because you are happy for her and you are wishing her a lifetime of happiness...this is not the time for egos to be dictating the terms of engagment.

And yes, if you go, bring your "friend" a gift.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Yes you should go & bring a gift. At the very least, doing so should bring you some small measure of satisfaction that you are not the cretin she is. Be the bigger person. However, I would not get her something she's registered for. Get her & her husband-to-be something very affordable, but very appropriate to your friendship with her.

My suggestion, if she celebrates, is to get them a Christmas ornament. 10 to 50 bucks, depending on how elaborate you want to be. She'll either think of you fondly every year she hangs it on the tree; or she won't remember where the devil it came from!!! One of my favorite things is decorating the Christmas tree every year & how almost every ornament comes with a special memory...

Not bringing a gift, IMO, won't make you feel any sort of justification....it'll just make you feel....devoid of any good will toward her? In which case, why go to the wedding at all?

Purely my opinion of course!
I totally agree
Good Post !

Old 10-31-2008, 11:37 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
I would not even go if I were you.....why bother? She did not even get you a card for your wedding? That is unheard of.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
If you choose to attend her wedding, get a gift. Two wrongs don't make a right. Be the bigger person and do the right thing.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Yes, take a gift.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:41 AM

3 posts, read 6,772 times
This is not what my version of friendship is......sooooo! You don't even sound like you want to go,nor does she deserve your gift anyway.Let it go,and move on.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
I agree, do not go because you feel obligated to. Only go if you want to.

But, if you go, you should bring a gift. Just because she was tacky enough not to bring one to your wedding, does not mean you should stoop to her level.

Really, this is why I had a small wedding in Mexico. If I didn't see or talk to you every week or so, you weren't invited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships