Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:23 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

Why are us guys so vain to looks? By this I mean we highly rely on the looks of a woman if we are gonna consider dating or hitting on her. I had neighbor friends who were girls and not the prettiest but getting to know them - they were nice. But as an adult, yeah, I guess I'm fixated on looks a lot and if I don't get an initial attraction by looks I don't bother. Maybe it isn't genetic mind programming because you can consciously change this attitude.

Had to rant. Ok, - you rant now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 05:30 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Ego. Women do it too. I know women who wouldn't consider a guy who wasn't hot, built, etc. They may look great arm in arm at parties, but then they go home and fight like cats and dogs. Two huge egos are too much.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
Women are also vain and shallow when it comes to looks. Over 90% of the women here on this forum said they would not date my friend here. So over 90% of the female populaton here on city-data are shallow as hell.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:09 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
HAHA, god for the 1,756,397th time, it's NOT shallow to care about how someone looks! It's shallow ONLY to care about their looks. It's NATURAL to want to date people you are physically attracted to. Without that physical attraction, there is no spark. END OF ARGUMENT. Looks begin a relationship, then personality and intelligent and overall compatibility keep it going strong, or doom it.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:17 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Ok... sex, dating, marriage - a lot driven by looks. Guess that's why we spend so much on clothes, makeup, plastic surguries, diets, a vain car, & etc...

Guess it's too common! But an obssession with looks - maybe that's why some people are too often single!

Old 11-15-2008, 06:27 AM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
HAHA, god for the 1,756,397th time, it's NOT shallow to care about how someone looks! It's shallow ONLY to care about their looks. It's NATURAL to want to date people you are physically attracted to. Without that physical attraction, there is no spark. END OF ARGUMENT. Looks begin a relationship, then personality and intelligent and overall compatibility keep it going strong, or doom it.
I have to agree 100%.

Both men and women value physical attractiveness....men generally more so but then women have other criteria (success, wealth etc.) that gets valued more than by men.

<shrug> As you get a older, physical attractiveness is even more correlated to health due to fitness and this becomes more and more important.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Women are also vain and shallow when it comes to looks. Over 90% of the women here on this forum said they would not date my friend here. So over 90% of the female populaton here on city-data are shallow as hell.
This pic of your friend would turn off 100% of the women I know. There is nothing shallow about wanting to date someone that does NOT appear to be a pig.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
To the OP:
You speak for yourself.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Why are us guys so vain to looks? By this I mean we highly rely on the looks of a woman if we are gonna consider dating or hitting on her. I had neighbor friends who were girls and not the prettiest but getting to know them - they were nice. But as an adult, yeah, I guess I'm fixated on looks a lot and if I don't get an initial attraction by looks I don't bother. Maybe it isn't genetic mind programming because you can consciously change this attitude.

Had to rant. Ok, - you rant now!
Don't worry, the women you encounter feel the same way about you, maybe even a bit frightened.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:53 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Men are wired that way, and how you were raised by your parents is also a factor. If your parents, particularly your father thinks that a woman's good looks are all that matters, then likely you will feel the same way. JonanthanLB is one such example.

But in my family, my parents downplayed the value of a person's good looks and instead placed a high priority on being smart and having a good education. Even though my mom was very beautiful when she was younger, my stepdad loved her for her mind. My stepdad went to Harvard. My uncle was a brilliant mathematician, my grandfather was revered by his friends for his intelligence and was a career diplomat for Taiwan. So my sisters and I prefer smart men over guys that look hot. My parents would be very disappointed in us if we brought home handsome men that were lacking in the smarts department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships