Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,345 times

Advertisements

Another I'm unhappy post...
I moved to a city I don't like. I've been here for a few years and I can not make a friend to save a life.
We moved here for housing opportunities, then lost the quality of life we were used to.
I can't afford sports programs for my kids, I can't afford "adult" education for me. (art classes, fitness, etc.)
I can't afford to go to neighbor's parties to buy things so I don't want to go at all...
I am not the type to join a "social club".
My neighbors complain about my kids being too loud outside. My husband works 9-9, and I am alone or with the kids 24/7.
I can be very social when I have the opportunity, but I feel like I can not afford anything ever and can't partake in anything, so how can I be social?
How can I get through this, with out looking like I am "poor?"
I really, really would appreciate comments. Because being a newcomer to poordom has me at a loss and if you don't have money to participate in things, how can you ever form any relationships at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Start a blog that gets a following. Make friends online.

CD is a good place to start. I made friends with a CD poster and I think we are going to be good friends. We will be having lunch within a week or so, we talk on the phone all of the time. I would have never met her unless I was a CD poster. I won't tell her screen name but she is a somewhat regular poster in this forum.

People may look at hanging out in online forums on Saturday night instead of having a date is for losers but that's not the case.

Join other forums and become a regular poster and get to know some of the folks from your city and before you know it you'll have plenty of friends.

BTW, true friends don't care if you're "poor" or rich. At least I don't

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Chevy View Post
I moved to a city I don't like. I've been here for a few years and I can not make a friend to save a life.
We moved here for housing opportunities, then lost the quality of life we were used to.
I can't afford sports programs for my kids, I can't afford "adult" education for me. (art classes, fitness, etc.)
I can't afford to go to neighbor's parties to buy things so I don't want to go at all...
My neighbors complain about my kids being too loud outside. My husband works 9-9, and I am alone or with the kids 24/7.
I can be very social when I have the opportunity, but I feel like I can not afford anything ever and can't partake in anything, so how can I be social?
I really, really would appreciate comments. Because being a newcomer to poordom has me at a loss and if you don't have money to participate in things, how can you ever form any relationships at all?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 PM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
I can't really comment untill I know more about your situation
I was going to suggest that you find a part time job, meet new people that way. Plus it will help out with the money side
But are you already working?
Are your kids to young for you to look for work?
You said I am not the type to join a "social club" but sometimes this is the best way to meet new people.Staying at home won't help
Other wise what Ron ^ posted sounds like good advice

Old 11-15-2008, 07:06 PM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I can't really comment untill I know more about your situation
I was going to suggest that you find a part time job, meet new people that way. Plus it will help out with the money side
But are you already working?
Are your kids to young for you to look for work?
You said I am not the type to join a "social club" but sometimes this is the best way to meet new people.Staying at home won't help
Other wise what Ron ^ posted sounds like good advice
Sometimes people need to step out of their comfort zone a little.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:16 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
Ok From one "poor" person to another, socializing isn't about money it's about your attitude and what you consider entertainment. If your neighbors complain about the kids, how about taking the kids to the park? Or invite the other neighborhood kids to your house to play. I'm sure there are moms who will appreciate the break and will return the favor.

Join a stay at home mom club or create one. You can go to a "tupperware" party without buying anything. Just don't bring attention to the fact that you aren't making a purchase and if asked, tell them you haven't made up your mind. If you'll feel totally self-concious, take a plate of deviled eggs.

If your finances are really tight, a part-tiime job might be a good idea. Try becoming the nieghborhood "Avon" lady and have your own "buy something" party.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and try new things. Being "newly poor" can be a culture shock, but there are lots of things you can do for free (or nearly free). The library might have a book club. Sometimes athletic organizations will offer assistance to allow children to participate for little to no cost. School activities are usually low to no cost as well. Good Luck

Old 11-15-2008, 07:19 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I agree, the part time job thing might just work out for you. And Avon is a good one. Set your own hours, do your own thing at your leisure. Right now isnt a good time though to try to sell Tupperware or Princess House crystal, with the economy being like it is, but Avon is reasonably affordable for many.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I hadn't thought of Avon until the last couple posts, but my mother started selling Avon a year or two after our family moved when I was a kid. I think she sold it for 30-35 years. She ended up knowing half the town of 5,000, including many she called friends.

She made good money at it too.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 PM

638 posts, read 1,917,799 times
Can't help you there sorry. I'm not very social. My life resolves around my hubby and my family (parents/bro & sil).

I don't go looking for friends because eventually one of us leaves or quits a job and I have tendency of not keeping in touch. Plus I trust family ALOT more than "friends"

Family is forever...

Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Chevy View Post
I can understand why you're not making friends, your excuses are excuses, not reasons.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I can understand why you're not making friends, your excuses are excuses, not reasons.
Perhaps her excuses are fear driven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships