Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:18 PM

943 posts, read 3,334,420 times

Advertisements

I was reading an old article from Essence Magazine and the had a very interesting topic on men that are staying at home dads, NOT deadbeats that refuse to get a job, but men that are genuinely caring, nurturing and guiding their kids while the women climb up the corporate ladder (ex).

Is that something that you would consider? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 02:21 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
I absolutely would because I am a staunch advocate for one parent being at home to raise the kids. It's too risky nowadays to let others raise your kids. My (ex) husband and I agreed to live cheaper with less frills to be able to make sure our kids were safe in this way and I've never regretted it for one moment. A dad's love is just as important as a mothers and can be just as nurturing if he wants to.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
I was reading an old article from Essence Magazine and the had a very interesting topic on men that are staying at home dads, NOT deadbeats that refuse to get a job, but men that are genuinely caring, nurturing and guiding their kids while the women climb up the corporate ladder (ex).

Is that something that you would consider? Why or why not?
I'd probably give it a try.

Nothing wrong with a stay at home Dad.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,812 times
I heard that in 3rd world countries society looks down at stay at home dads.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
This question came up before and I have to be honest...the stay at home dads at the kiddos schools are a bit needy with the stay at home moms...there is no other way to describe it...

Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I absolutely would because I am a staunch advocate for one parent being at home to raise the kids. It's too risky nowadays to let others raise your kids. My (ex) husband and I agreed to live cheaper with less frills to be able to make sure our kids were safe in this way and I've never regretted it for one moment. A dad's love is just as important as a mothers and can be just as nurturing if he wants to.
Wise words.

I wish more people sacrificed material things to be home for the kids.

JMHO.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I work at home while my wife works at an office. Because my writing and my clients allow me a flexible schedule, if just works naturally. I get the kids off to school by 7:15-7:30, sit down at my desk, work until 3:00 and get rolling being a parent. I might have some overflow work, which typically gets done late at night. But this is a great arrangement for us, and the kids have somebody here at all times.

Now, the negatives. There is the cabin fever associated with being a stay-at-home dad. So how is this different from the cabin fever associated with stay-at-home moms? Because if a mom takes her kids to a public park and walks up to another mom there to pass the time of day, it's normal. If a dad takes his kid to a public park and walks up to a mom to pass the time of day, it's assumed you're hitting on them. Also, you're considered to be the oddball in the carpool line, the PTA meetings, and whatever else. It took a couple of years for the women in my children's life to understand what my deal was.

The other thing is that, no matter how much progress society has made, there is a bit of a stigma attached. After all, guys go to the office. Guys work with other guys. And, especially to those who don't earn any money at all, guys are supposed to be breadwinners. I'm not saying that's fair, but that's just the way the world thinks. So you'll have to spend time grappling with these perceptions. I'm fortunate that I have a good reputation in the business world and a strong set of contacts.

Overall, I'm in a great situation being semi-retired. But there are drawbacks, and you need to be prepared to accept them.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
I'd do it without a second thought. I don't want anyone raising my children(babysitter,daycare,in laws,etc..) I just don't trust people like that. Especially with my children(if I had any).

Not to mention those early years are important in the childs life. I want to be the person laying the foundation.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:13 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Stay at home Dad? How about a stay at home Mom?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
I don't know that I would be comfortable with the idea. I'm a traditionalist and that would be so far out of the norm and not what I would want to raise my son to be, so I wouldn't want that to set an example for him. I also wouldn't be comfortable with the financial well being of my family resting solely on my shoulders.

Of course if something were to happen where my husband couldn't work or worked out of home, that would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships