Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,609,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
In my younger days, trying to be a stand up guy and help out a friend of a friend who supposedly was beat up by the boyfriend of a girl he was seeing, it ended up being he got beat up for trying to take over that guy's drug selling territory and we all got ambushed in a shoot out. Nobody got hurt but it was a very scary situation in which led me to conclude do not stick your neck out for ANYBODY if you want to live longer.
Wow, haha, that's crazy / scary dude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Quote:
In my younger days, trying to be a stand up guy and help out a friend of a friend who supposedly was beat up by the boyfriend of a girl he was seeing, it ended up being he got beat up for trying to take over that guy's drug selling territory and we all got ambushed in a shoot out. Nobody got hurt but it was a very scary situation in which led me to conclude do not stick your neck out for ANYBODY if you want to live longer.
I don't think you got the right lesson out of that. I think the better lesson here would be to choose your friends more wisely.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,299,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't think you got the right lesson out of that. I think the better lesson here would be to choose your friends more wisely.
Well they were my childhood friends, but the guy who lied to me was a friend of one of my friends.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 AM

13,783 posts, read 26,220,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Nooooooooooo! Please let the poor woman have her remaining days in peace!
At least she would get a chuckle or two...or get highly agitated and have a heart attack out of frustration! Poor Grannie! She LOVES the computer I bought her...she checks her emails, sends those touchy feelie emails, has an IM account with her BFF's...she cracks me up.

Her doc put her on meds and even a small dose of ritalin as that seems to be a newer way to treat depression quickly...

Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Quote:
Well they were my childhood friends, but the guy who lied to me was a friend of one of my friends.
Man. That's too bad. I had a friend like that who went bad. It was like watching a train wreck, and there was nothing I could do about it. He just wouldn't listen to me or anybody else. Went to prison eventually. Don't know what happened to him. He's probably dead now.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Man. That's too bad. I had a friend like that who went bad. It was like watching a train wreck, and there was nothing I could do about it. He just wouldn't listen to me or anybody else. Went to prison eventually. Don't know what happened to him. He's probably dead now.
Same here...he lost it after high school, made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to sell in the parking lot at the Dead concerts and died of a heroin OD about 10 years ago...some people cannot be reached I guess. He didn't know his mother had died for almost a year since no one could find him.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,338,522 times
When I was a teenager I visited Russia for about a month.

Going to another country really opened my eyes to what being American is all about. For one thing, we are always claiming to be something else, "well, I'm half italian, a quarter french, some sweedish, german, and brazilian" etc. etc.. we have heard it all from everyone. And many Americans don't even know what really makes us American because they haven't seen anything else to know what differentiates us culturally from others. So seeing another country and seeing how other people live was a great experience.

Also seeing really, really poor people really opens your eyes to what you really need in life.

And I am talking about really poor people. Not people that are really poor but have a Gigantic, one wall of your Living room sized flat screen tv from Rent a Center kind of poor people. (yes I have a cousin who is a lifer on welfare with a bigger and newer tv than I have---this always cracks my Dr. DH up)

Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
At least she would get a chuckle or two...or get highly agitated and have a heart attack out of frustration! Poor Grannie! She LOVES the computer I bought her...she checks her emails, sends those touchy feelie emails, has an IM account with her BFF's...she cracks me up.
Eh, maybe she can handle it then. Still... why disillusion the woman...? Imagine she stumbles upon our forum! I was gonna ask you what BFF is, but found out. At first I was wondering if it's boyfriend effin' or something...

Quote:
Her doc put her on meds and even a small dose of ritalin as that seems to be a newer way to treat depression quickly...
Now that we have adults on Ritalin, too, we have it all made... all ready for the brave new world! Unless it's already shoved into our (so-called) food!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Eh, maybe she can handle it then. Still... why disillusion the woman...? Imagine she stumbles upon our forum! I was gonna ask you what BFF is, but found out. At first I was wondering if it's boyfriend effin' or something...

Now that we have adults on Ritalin, too, we have it all made... all ready for the brave new world! Unless it's already shoved into our (so-called) food!
Her BFF's came down from NOVA/DC area last week and took her to lunch and that made her happy...maybe she just hates me!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,299,203 times
Quote:

I don't know how many on here remember a Larry Davis, the guy who shot 6 cops in the Bronx back in the 80's. He was a friend of one of my childhood friends. So actually my friends didn't choose their friends wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships