Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM

809 posts, read 2,886,467 times

Advertisements

I have a question..... and a rant!

WHAT the CRAP has happened to people having common courtesy and civility? I work in customer service at a wireless department and today alone I've had 3 different people BELITTLE me and, yell at me and be rude to me, and I've only been here an hour and 45 minutes!!!!

I try my best day in and day out to have a positive outlook on life and be happy. But when I have to deal with these people who have the BIGGEST chip on their shoulder I just want to QUIT this damn job. But I CAN'T because we're in a recession and I have bills to pay.........

People need to understand that when something goes wrong with like your CELL PHONE BILL or something gets messed up with your order at a restaurant, that the person you're talking DIRECTLY to and dealing with DIRECTLY is 99% of the time NOT the reason things are messed up!!!!!!!!! SO BE NICE TO THEM IF YOU WANT ANYTHING DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The nicer you are to customer service people (and people in the service industry) THE FARTHER YOU'LL GET!

UGH......... done venting.........

here's a GREAT article from todays CNN website which EVERYONE needs to read........ WHAT'S HAPPENED TO CIVILITY?????????

Are you rude? Maybe you should think again - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,588,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I have a question..... and a rant!

WHAT the CRAP has happened to people having common courtesy and civility? I work in customer service at a wireless department and today alone I've had 3 different people BELITTLE me and, yell at me and be rude to me, and I've only been here an hour and 45 minutes!!!!

I try my best day in and day out to have a positive outlook on life and be happy. But when I have to deal with these people who have the BIGGEST chip on their shoulder I just want to QUIT this damn job. But I CAN'T because we're in a recession and I have bills to pay.........

People need to understand that when something goes wrong with like your CELL PHONE BILL or something gets messed up with your order at a restaurant, that the person you're talking DIRECTLY to and dealing with DIRECTLY is 99% of the time NOT the reason things are messed up!!!!!!!!! SO BE NICE TO THEM IF YOU WANT ANYTHING DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! The nicer you are to customer service people (and people in the service industry) THE FARTHER YOU'LL GET!

UGH......... done venting.........

here's a GREAT article from todays CNN website which EVERYONE needs to read........ WHAT'S HAPPENED TO CIVILITY?????????

Are you rude? Maybe you should think again - CNN.com
It goes even beyond this - how about Civility amongst family members, relationships, marriage, etc,.....? It's a rough world unfortunately with too much of "me-me" in it IMO.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
There's no better test of character. And there's always some self-justifying SOB who thinks the rules don't apply to him.

For example, it's extraordinarily rude to be late without alerting the other party, particularly in an age of mobile phones. Yet, you'll find people from all walks of life who laugh it off as a minor character flaw on their part, saying, "Gosh, I just can't ever seem to make it anywhere on time." Actually, what they're really saying is, "Gosh, I don't respect you enough to be on time."

Old 11-11-2008, 12:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,986,148 times
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
It goes even beyond this - how about Civility amongst family members, relationships, marriage, etc,.....? It's a rough world unfortunately with too much of "me-me" in it IMO.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,353,794 times
Common courtesy. If it was common then EVERYBODY would have it.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,986,148 times
lol so true....it is rare courtesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Common courtesy. If it was common then EVERYBODY would have it.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,939,338 times
I have honestly never understood the mentality of people who think it's their "right" to be rude... to any one, for any thing.

In all seriousness... when you're nice and polite, people actually want to help you more.

I thought we all learned that in kindergarten; like one of the first things we all learned... the Golden Rule and all.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:16 PM

809 posts, read 2,886,467 times
I've worked as a waitress, in customer service in MULTIPLE retail chains, in sales in multiple retail chains, and well, you pretty much get the picture.......

I've SEEN it all........ I've seen people LOSE it and start screaming their social security number (because that's how their credit card for the particular store was looked up....... DUH). I've seen a guy turn from REALLY nice to a COMPLETE manipulating A-hole in the matter of seconds (I was attempting to exchange something for him and I had referenced the wrong item on the receipt by accident. when I let him know there was a difference in price (before I realized my mistake) he began yelling that I was trying to jip him out of money. I insisted that I made a mistake and was in the PROCESS of fixing it but he STILL kept yelling that I was trying to steal money from him.... and he wasn't even a customer of ours (at the wireless company I work for))............

When I worked for a major electronics store I had a guy try and return an OLD 80's VHS in a box for a NEW dvd player. (He claimed he opened it up on xmas morning and THAT was in it)........ YA........ RIGHT. And of course he was INSANELY rude to me throughout this entire explanation (As I'm trying not to laugh at him)...........

Just today I had a guy DEMAND that I put financial services on the phone for him (No please, no thank you) Because he's been in default/past due on his phone since JULY and everytime he tells them he's guna make a payment HE DOESN'T..... so "He's pissed" and demands I get them on the phone..... Ummmmmmm SCUSE ME??????? Maybe if you said PLEASE I'd be a little more OBLIGED to help you........ JERK!!!!!!!!!

UGHHHHHHHH end rant. again :P

Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
It's parents not parenting.

Someone was railing against "Leave it to Beaver" values recently. James Carville I think it was. But at least back then as I understand it from old timers, people had a measure of politeness and respect for others.

I'm hoping in these harder times, we can get back to some basic family values and respect for others and not focus so much on las vegas vacations and getting the latest car and mcmansion while bankrupting society.

Also I think with the election and the economy people are stressed with many already affected by it. A lot of peoples lives are changing now or soon to be. The best thing I can offer is to be as kind as possible and kill them with kindness.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's parents not parenting.

Someone was railing against "Leave it to Beaver" values recently. James Carville I think it was. But at least back then as I understand it from old timers, people had a measure of politeness and respect for others.

I'm hoping in these harder times, we can get back to some basic family values and respect for others and not focus so much on las vegas vacations and getting the latest car and mcmansion while bankrupting society.

Also I think with the election and the economy people are stressed with many already affected by it. A lot of peoples lives are changing now or soon to be. The best thing I can offer is to be as kind as possible and kill them with kindness.
Yep. You know, anytime I hear somebody taking a dim view of teaching their children manners, including saying 'please' and 'thank you,' I always want to say, "You're responsible for the decline of civilization, you realize."

Seriously. Those tired wheezes, "People have to earn my children's respect before they give it" and "Manners are just a way to make kids subservient to adults," make my blood boil, because it essentially gives a ready excuse for all kinds of outrages. That belief system essentially teaches children to only treat others in a courteous manner after those people have done what you expect of them. It is a seriously ass-backwards approach to raising kids, and parents who subscribe to it should be ashamed of themselves. For a person growing up not knowing how to say Please and Thank You is a person who doesn't understand the meaning of gratitude.

So, if you're just starting out parenting, or even thinking about being a parent, do yourself and your children a favor and commit to teaching fundamental manners to them. It will make their lives so much easier, not to mention the lives of those around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships