Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, perhaps after you've been married a while you'll feel a little differently. My husband and I are thisclose but he has his own life and activities. As for me, I've had the same group of friends for 15 years and we get together at least once a month for a night out together. We're all happily married so we don't waste any time ragging on our guys - and we laugh so hard some of us need our asthma inhalers by the end of the night

Nah, I've known him since I was 10. I'm glad you and I are happily married. Many are not. That's why they have to get away from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
It's important to have relationships outside the marriage.
I don't know about that. Oh, I do spend some time with my mom once in a while, but as far as having relationships with unrelated people, other than my professional work relationships (which have nothing to do with my personal life), I don't have any. I don't know why this would be important if you are happy with the arrangement.

I'm really curious to know why you think it's important.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't know about that. Oh, I do spend some time with my mom once in a while, but as far as having relationships with unrelated people, other than my professional work relationships (which have nothing to do with my personal life), I don't have any. I don't know why this would be important if you are happy with the arrangement.

I'm really curious to know why you think it's important.

20yrsinBranson
hmmm...well, I can hazard a guess to your question.

It is generally recognized that healthy marriages are so healthy because each person remains an individual. When you become each others "everything" you are less well-rounded as a person. In addition, this makes your world very small and cloistered so that when one of the two in the marriage dies, the surviving spouse doesn't have much of a support network in place - which can make life VERY hard after such a blow.

But it's all about balance - you don't want to be so busy that you neglect your relationship with your spouse, just involved enough in life to allow you to HAVE a life

Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Mrs. Mathguy got to go out whenever she wanted to...as will the next Mrs. Mathguy.
In fact, she went to London for a week with her mom one year and I didn't bat an eyelash while watching the kids solo that week.

She also went to Florida with collegefriends for a long weekend plus a few other minor trips.

<shrug>

When I want a guys weekend....I would go have fun too. Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
must be nice

Old 11-20-2008, 01:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I don't care if Mrs. CPG goes out with friends, therefore my wife doesn't ask permission. She has bunko once a month, and typically some other evening out here and there.

However, she does check with me. After all, with three kids, homework, violin, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, soccer, baseball, tests, my work, and all kinds of other commitments, there are a few times when I've said, "You know, this might not be a great night for that." And she respects that.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
must be nice
It IS nice...but that is what happens when you are careful to marry the right person

Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
must be nice
It got A LOT easier to do this as we got older.

1) We had more money. Money was plentiful when we first married but tightened up A LOT when we went to a one income household. Years later my income got to the point that we could breathe more easily and splurge more.

2) This was MUCH tougher to do with very young children. To this day, I thank god that I'm raising a 9 & 11 year old solo and not a 2 & 4 yo.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It got A LOT easier to do this as we got older.

1) We had more money. Money was plentiful when we first married but tightened up A LOT when we went to a one income household. Years later my income got to the point that we could breathe more easily and splurge more.

2) This was MUCH tougher to do with very young children. To this day, I thank god that I'm raising a 9 & 11 year old solo and not a 2 & 4 yo.
I remember a few weekends where Mrs. CPG left me with a 5-, 3-, and 1-year old when she went to the beach with friends. Holy mackerel, I was never so glad to see her get home on Sunday evenings. One time, I just tag-teamed her at the door and sat in a bar watching a baseball game for a couple of hours.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
It is non-issue. If I want to go out, I tell him and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships