Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My wife buys most of my clothes. My wife usually picks out my clothes for me. She seems to enjoy it, I am more than happy to let her. When she is busy or away, I sometimes end up with bad compbinations. I just have no fashion sense. I see nothing wrong with that. She cannot cut a straight line with a skill saw, I cannot match a suit, tie shirt and socks very well. We each have our skills which compliment each other. I do what I am good at, she does what shee is good at and everything gets done.
Would be nice if more men had your good sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, things can be improved somewhat within reason depending on what you start with and how stubborn he is, but nobody can have expectations of converting a baseball-cap-and-shorts wearing American into a stylish French or Italian...
Oh, I completely agree. I've called it good with dark wash jeans, a few dress pants, nicer shirts & sweaters and a jacket honestly. But, he was near the bottom of the style barrel. In fact, I'm afraid even the homeless would have turned their nose up at some of his clothing. (Honey, if you read this just remember, I love you! )

Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Oh, I completely agree. I've called it good with dark wash jeans, a few dress pants, nicer shirts & sweaters and a jacket honestly. But, he was near the bottom of the style barrel. In fact, I'm afraid even the homeless would have turned their nose up at some of his clothing. (Honey, if you read this just remember, I love you! )
Good job! Some are just too stuck up on the idea of being "changed" in any shape or form...

Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My wife buys most of my clothes. My wife usually picks out my clothes for me. She seems to enjoy it, I am more than happy to let her. When she is busy or away, I sometimes end up with bad compbinations. I just have no fashion sense. I see nothing wrong with that. She cannot cut a straight line with a skill saw, I cannot match a suit, tie shirt and socks very well. We each have our skills which compliment each other. I do what I am good at, she does what shee is good at and everything gets done.
Wow...most guys I know would complain about their significant other doing something like this.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:48 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I once dated this guy that showed up for our date wearing a ugly green polyester "suite". I was horrified. We dated awhile and I gently changed his "style".

Now Im the one that needs a make over. Im doing good if my socks match and something isnt on inside out.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I LOVE MAKEOVERS! Anyone wana volunteer???
I had a mini-makeover thread that I hijacked on what clothes women like to see men where. You missed it...artsy tried to get me to dress like fruit-pie the magician.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:03 PM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Has anybody ever met someone who they were attracted to and the person has a great personality but they have horrible style. You just want to dress them and make them look better. What are your thoughts on this.....
Tell him that wearing X, Y and Z make you HOT! Reiterate the point. Enforce positive and negative response to this with the appropriate rewards. (Think Dog Whisperer for your BF)

My new gf wore a camisol ensemble on a date and I told her how much I liked camisols.....hmmm....wonder what she wore last night?

Old 11-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Tell him that wearing X, Y and Z make you HOT! Reiterate the point. Enforce positive and negative response to this with the appropriate rewards. (Think Dog Whisperer for your BF)

My new gf wore a camisol ensemble on a date and I told her how much I liked camisols.....hmmm....wonder what she wore last night?
That's a good point and it works to some extend, but it doesn't help much with verbalizing how much you DON'T wanna see something.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Heck, I think every woman I ever dated twice bought my clothes for the second date.

When I first met my late wife I really disliked how she dressed at times. She was trim with humongous breasts and wore tight slacks and an even tighter t-shirt the first time we went out. Honestly, I felt like all eyes were on us. (I hate to say this, but she looked like a hooker.)

I never did say anything about her clothing, but when we'd go shopping together she'd ask my opinion. I always guided her to more conservative, traditionally stylish clothing as my favorites. She picked up on my preferences right away and was soon dressing according to them. I really appreciated it.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
A few years ago, my sister, a self styled fashion expert, reckoned my racing shirts and blue jeans were not cutting it and hauled me off to the stores to buy pink shirts and all kinds of ****. And actually she did good and it was a hit with the ladies. Certainly I did look better and was probably more appropriate for the dates I was going on.

Now? Well frankly I don't give a damn anymore about what people think, so I do dress nice when I need too and want to look good, otherwise I've got my racing shirts on.

Would I let a girlfriend now take me out and make me over. Sure, if I get a shag at the end of it. Otherwise forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships