Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I just don't get these people. I know a couple of folks who are NEVER satisfied with what they have. They always want more. It also has to be bigger and better than what they currently have. Both of the people I know have good incomes, nice homes, drive nice cars and are in good shape financially but it just isn't enough. Whatever they have ceases to be shiny, pretty and interesting once they have it.

These folks don't seem to realize how incredibly fortunate they have been in life. I keep wondering if they'll look around one day and see others who are struggling to get by, yet still appreciate what they DO have.
Some of the happiest people I've ever met really didn't have much in material goods, yet they had such a good outlook on their lives.

Do you know anyone like that? What do you think drives them to be that way?
Well, I *kind of* knew someone like that. Her motivation for never being happy was not so much material goods but just a pervasive sense of there being something "better" out there. She had a decent job, a decent house, but yet, something kept calling to her. She moved several times in the few years that I knew her, got several different jobs in the process, etc . Went back to school, changed careers, etc., Yet, she never seemed to be happy nor satisfied with her life.

I have since lost track, which is unfortunate because she was a very nice person and I liked her. Last I heard she was in Florida somewhere.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:50 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Was this person .... you?
Think you have them confused with this person://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...st-update.html

Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Think you have them confused with this person://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...st-update.html
Oooohhh, naughty naughty poster

Old 11-21-2008, 01:23 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
The is a fine line there. I have ambition. I am sure some see it as never being satisfied. I don't complain but, I do want more. Never enough money.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
See... I think ambition is WAY different than someone who just complains about everything.

The definition of ambition is: the possession of motivation for power. Ambitious persons seek power either for themselves or for others.

You may be ambitious to get a nicer house, let's say... but do you complain about the roof over your head now, while others don't even have that?

It's one thing to want nicer... it's another thing to never be satisfied or content with what you have, never realizing someone out there has it a lot worse off than you do and being thankful you aren't them.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
See... I think ambition is WAY different than someone who just complains about everything.

The definition of ambition is: the possession of motivation for power. Ambitious persons seek power either for themselves or for others.

You may be ambitious to get a nicer house, let's say... but do you complain about the roof over your head now, while others don't even have that?

It's one thing to want nicer... it's another thing to never be satisfied or content with what you have, never realizing someone out there has it a lot worse off than you do and being thankful you aren't them.
In my case it is nothing to do with anyone else. I was "them" at one time.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Sometimes I look at people living in the park in a box or pushing a shopping cart and I think they are so much happier than I am because they don't have a bunch of bills, they don't have to worry about getting kids to school on time and weaving through traffic after that so they can get themselves to work on time too. They don't have to worry about making sure their house is clean all the time in case people "drop in". Don't have to keep up appearances, maintain their vehicle, or any of that stuff. Basically - no cares or worries.

Well, I'm sure they have worries, but not the same as the rest of us.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:47 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
One of the people I know landed a great paying job with many perks that most of us would Love to have. Within 3 months they were moaning that they were underpaid and should have asked for more money. (They are not underpaid)

This same person has had 7 brand new vehicles within a 10-11 year span. Soon as they got one, another vehicle would catch their eye and the laments would begin........."Oh gee, I wish I would have gotten gold-dipped lug nuts instead of silver dipped." Guess I'll trade this thing in for a better snazzy thing."

I told them once that I had no doubt that if they won 10 million in the lottery, they'd be angry because they didn't win 20 million.

It's not so much complaining as it is an "I think I can do better than this" mentality.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
One of the people I know landed a great paying job with many perks that most of us would Love to have. Within 3 months they were moaning that they were underpaid and should have asked for more money. (They are not underpaid)

This same person has had 7 brand new vehicles within a 10-11 year span. Soon as they got one, another vehicle would catch their eye and the laments would begin........."Oh gee, I wish I would have gotten gold-dipped lug nuts instead of silver dipped." Guess I'll trade this thing in for a better snazzy thing."

I told them once that I had no doubt that if they won 10 million in the lottery, they'd be angry because they didn't win 20 million.

It's not so much complaining as it is an "I think I can do better than this" mentality.
Those are the lottery winners who have to file bankruptcy shortly after they win.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
I just don't get these people. I know a couple of folks who are NEVER satisfied with what they have. They always want more. It also has to be bigger and better than what they currently have. Both of the people I know have good incomes, nice homes, drive nice cars and are in good shape financially but it just isn't enough. Whatever they have ceases to be shiny, pretty and interesting once they have it.

These folks don't seem to realize how incredibly fortunate they have been in life. I keep wondering if they'll look around one day and see others who are struggling to get by, yet still appreciate what they DO have.
Some of the happiest people I've ever met really didn't have much in material goods, yet they had such a good outlook on their lives.

Do you know anyone like that? What do you think drives them to be that way?
I'm like that, and I can tell you what drives you to be like that -- ambition. If you're ambitious with life in general, you always want more than what you have. I think that's good and healthy, your reach should always exceed your grasp.

I mean imagine if I woke up every morning, "Well, I'm doing so much better than some people, I have a roof over my head, I got food, I'm comfortable, healthy, I have it so good! Compared to a lot of people my age, I have more money and I should be so thankful." What do I do from there? Just sit around and be happy all day? No, I'd rather wake up and think of LeBron James and dot-com millionaires, celebrities, young filmmakers, people who have REALLY made it and think, "Wow, dang, I am nothing compared to that! I have to work harder!" It's much more motivating to look up at people above you than down at people below you. Of course it's healthy to have some perspective, and realize even if you're not LeBron James, you are also not a homeless drug addict, so you're not doing unbelievably historically great and you're not doing cosmically horrible, either.

Maybe there will come a point when I'm pretty satisfied with what I have, but I am not sure if that will ever happen. If I have a penthouse condo in an area I really enjoy, and have a supercar, and have achieved great career success, I'm still going to want a better vacation home, a second supercar, more career success, etc. That's what keeps life going, that's what drives you to be successful. If you just sit around and think, gee, life is so great, I have more than most people, or I have more than some people, or I have enough to "get by," you really never have the motivation to DO or GO anywhere in your life. It's just a very mediocre existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships