Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

There's a difference between independent and domineering/controlling. I like the former, can't tolerate the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 PM

74 posts, read 141,874 times
What I want to know is why men say they don't like women who do that chick thing with their girlfriends where they have to ask advice or get approval from their girlfriends and go out with a kinda guy to impress their girlfriends, BUT when they find a woman who doesn't do that, they pick the girls they say they don't like anyway! It's screwy! I think men go for the make-up and the heels and that usually goes hand in hand with the type of girl who is on the phone for hours w/her girlfriend talking about you. That's the difference between a girlfriend and an "independent-of-her-girlfriends" woman in my opinion, and most men like girls, despite what they say.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 PM

74 posts, read 141,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
There's a difference between independent and domineering/controlling. I like the former, can't tolerate the latter.
I agree. There is nothing more unattractive than a man who will let a woman control and dominate him. It's a terrible role model in front of children, especially the boys. So many men who were raised by single parent women succumb to this kind of relationship and I find it sickening.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM

67 posts, read 213,741 times
Default My Experience

I am a very successful, well traveled independent woman who believes that men say they like independent women but very few (my age 55-65) can be involved with one.

I see most of them as sad, lonely men who are lack the necessary skills to full participate in a relationship. They seem to be needy and shallow about sex and communication.

On the web, I have seen them write about how they are going to go Russia or Thailand or Mexico and get themselves "a real woman" because American women don't know how to be real women anymore.

I guess I just didn't pop open that beer can fast enough, or maybe the underwear wasn't quite pressed enough or maybe I didn't run fast enough with the ashtray.

At 61, I expect to live the remainder of my life alone because I don't want to end up with some ol' fart who is has spent all his money on a Russian or Mexican woman or maybe has some kids to support into his 80's. (And by the way, he says, she didn't really want kids - I guess the anchor baby was an accident..poor kid)

I think this is a generation thing...these guys were so sold with the air brushed Playboy images, the Rat Pack image of booze and cigarettes. Poor souls, they just didn't have a chance.

The guys that are coming along now are great...I have met a lot of neat younger men in airports and they love talking with me about real world issues and books.

Maybe I will marry and immigrate a young Muslim for a husband. Honestly, they have very good values...no driniking, no smoking..they value marriage.

What do you think?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss61 View Post
Maybe I will marry and immigrate a young Muslim for a husband. Honestly, they have very good values...no driniking, no smoking..they value marriage.

What do you think?
I think you're nuts, but don't mind me... Go ahead with your plans!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,059 times
I like for a woman to have goals, and expectations in her life. I like for her to have the urge to better herself in whatever she pursues if it be career wise, as support of her husband, growing talents, and gifts, religion, whatever it is that inspires her. I also do not mind if a woman is independent in her thinking as far as her career, and these things. On the other hand I do not like women who are independent in their thinking towards their marriage, or relationships. I believe both individuals should rely on each other if it be with household chores, raising children, or holding a job.

Also I do believe that there can be issues for men who are the bread winners and women who also think of themselves as bringing home the bacon, especially if they are in the same household. I am ultimately an old fashoned guy in the thinking that a man should provide financially for his wife. I think too many of the men nowa days come from broken homes, or were raised by overly independent women who have confused the guys in their roles. In other words there are way too many mommas boys out there.

I don't think either the man or the woman should be in the role of "Man of the House" in the sense that the other role is submissive in their daily lives. On the other hand I do believe when an issue arises that needs to be taken care of if it be of a protective nature the woman needs to have a seat and keep her mouth shut. This is only in the case that the woman is disrespectful to the man being a man, and there are alot of women out there who think they are as bad as a man when it comes to physical nature, and serious issues of controversy.

Alternately, I also think that men in general shouldn't be so pansy as we see alot of these days, and should care for their sugnificant others no matter what they do day to day. Remember your wife isn't your suport ladder, she's your other half so treat her that way.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,074 times
Quote:
What do you think?
You sound to bitter and have higher expectations on your potential partner than most males do.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
I am a very successful, well traveled independent woman who believes that men say they like independent women but very few (my age 55-65) can be involved with one. .....................At 61, I expect to live the remainder of my life alone................What do you think?
I think that many men like independent women. I also think that not very many men are interested in older women, independent or otherwise.

I have never heard of a 61 year old trophy wife.

Last edited by karlsch; 01-04-2009 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

I have never heard of a 61 year old trophy wife.
Neither have I!

But I have a lady friend twice my age in her sixties. Very active, her own company, plus a job, plus four grown kids and a lot of travel. She packs a lot into one day that is for sure. I doubt she'd pull a guy in her 40's but over that she has no problem. Just depends on your attitude. If you've got that "i'm all that" attitude then it's a turn off no matter the age.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Just a couple quick questions for the guys out there. Do you like it when a woman is independent? she has a job, a car, a home, dresses nice, carries herself with style and class? She travels by herself?
Do even 2% of men not like this?

What they don't like is when this "independence" ends when the credit card bills become due, the car needs to be fixed (they take yours), all the tough decisions must be made buy the man, his income is theirs but hers is hers, etc.

Independence requires responsibility too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships