Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i do, but i dont appreciate women that dont have good boundaries. or those looking for someone to orbit around them.
Good visual......kind of like "Barbarella." (Never seen it, but have seen the stills in a book at Borders or B&N).

If they're TOO independent, they seem to border on being butch. You all agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Even plus sized Jabbas?
Do women like that really exist? If they do, then no. I have standards they might be really low but they are still standards.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:47 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
^ awwwwww

Old 11-26-2008, 06:54 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
so, it still happens occasionally? interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, then, there are a lot of those guys, b/c I have a few intelligent, extremely successful lady friends who get hit on by guys...who run away when they find out what these women do and how much they make.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 AM

wow, that's too bad. well, I can't speak for all women, but I am sinlge and don't hace to sponge off anyone. I'm not in an abusive relationship and would NEVER let myself be in one like that. I don't need constant reassurance about anything.

sorry the woman you though would be great turned out to be a dud. She must have had zero self esteem despite of her qualities on paper, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Well, for example, I work in a building that is at least 95% women, with over a 1000 people working there.

It is almost a "battle-cry" for women to say "I'm independent". They seem to be the same ones that are either sponging off of someone, have an abusive boyfriend at home, etc

A lot of women I have dated for brief periods of time, they start off saying that. They more deep you delve into it, you find these are the ones that call you constantly, text you all day, need constant reassurance, etc..

I dated someone recently that is exactly like this.

That being said, I would LOVE to meet someone that has her stuff together and has those things. I met someone recently I thought would be a great catch, had almost all of that stuff. What a dud! Most boring person I have ever met, even though she was fantastic on paper!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 AM

well, they can be. Like they have something to prove or are very defensive. I'm not talking about the ones like that, I just mean a woman who has her s**t together and still friendly, outgoing, etc. But when a guy gets to know her, does he start to feel like he's not needed in her life?

I still want companionship and togetherness. I would still like the chivalry metioned in other posts. I don't want guys to run away thinking: oh she has everything she needs, she doesn't need me hanging around", etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Good visual......kind of like "Barbarella." (Never seen it, but have seen the stills in a book at Borders or B&N).

If they're TOO independent, they seem to border on being butch. You all agree?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:05 AM

I don't mean black or white or anything else, race aside, not sure why it gets singled out like that, but it applies to all races of women. It's expected of men to have everything together and for the woman to have just slightly less? but if women and men were matched in career, car, home, etc. would that be intimidating? not that she couldn't be in a successful relationship. It was a topic my sister and I discussed and I wanted to get some objective feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
"When I think of the term "Independent Women" I always think of the black community as they seem to be the only ones who use this term (i.e., "Im a strong, black, independent woman!!!"). Its like black men for some reason think that a woman who is capable of taking care of herself and is successful is someone who would be difficult to have a successful relationship with."

This has been my experience also. It's a instant turnoff for me when I hear this because they seem to think one's ability to take care of themself is a unique quality. They are the first to say my man should take care of me once you get with them.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 AM

exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Well I’m truly sorry for you.....that must not have been fun. Don't generalize though....we're not all like that.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 AM

right, I don't mean the overbearing ones that say "I am independent, I don't need you to do anything for me, blah, blah, blah"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I've worked with lots of women like that too and it just gets to be too much for me.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM

amen, brother!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Heck, I do. Man, I would hate for a woman in my life to depend on me for everything, including their opinions. How boring would that be?

Me? I always liked feisty women who have a brain in their head. That way, you knew they were with me because they liked me, not because they just needed somebody, anybody to be with to buttress their self-esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships