Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It was a great party! We had about 75 people, plus their kids. I had the Party Barn (Our rec house out by the creek) rigged up so all the kids could not interrupt us. Still have tons of desserts and wine. Plus all our guests brought their own bottles of wine, so we now have a stash to last us until February.

This is actually the first Xmas party we've thrown since 1998, right before our third child was born. After that, we just ran out of steam for a while. Glad we're back into party mode once again.
That sounds like a blast! The Party Barn is a great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
That sounds like a blast! The Party Barn is a great idea!
Oh, it's pretty cool. We have about a .75-acre lot, with a creek that slashes diagonally across the back yard. It's the perfect backyard for kids, even in the middle of winter. And we have this large outbuilding, the Party Barn, that's 16 x 28 with a heater, A/C, and bar (No liquor), where we keep the ping-pong table, TV, etc. etc. All I have to do is hire a babysitter to make sure the kids don't get out of hand. If the economy stabilizes this summer, we're going to overhaul the entire thing and really make it cool.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Oh, it's pretty cool. We have about a .75-acre lot, with a creek that slashes diagonally across the back yard. It's the perfect backyard for kids, even in the middle of winter. And we have this large outbuilding, the Party Barn, that's 16 x 28 with a heater, A/C, and bar (No liquor), where we keep the ping-pong table, TV, etc. etc. All I have to do is hire a babysitter to make sure the kids don't get out of hand.
Perfect idea. We did not have kids at the party last night but occasionally we do during the summer and when we are at our house on the Chesapeake. I wish the kids had been there because I would not have consumed so much alcohol!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Perfect idea. We did not have kids at the party last night but occasionally we do during the summer and when we are at our house on the Chesapeake. I wish the kids had been there because I would not have consumed so much alcohol!
Well, we started doing it this way because having a sitter ensures that a lot more people can come. Sitters at Christmas time are scarcer than hen's teeth. Plus, there's less pressure for the parents to dash home. Heck, we even threw a few of the younger ones in the guest bedroom downstairs.

We just love throwing parties. We throw good ones, too.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Well, we started doing it this way because having a sitter ensures that a lot more people can come. Sitters at Christmas time are scarcer than hen's teeth. Plus, there's less pressure for the parents to dash home. Heck, we even threw a few of the younger ones in the guest bedroom downstairs.

We just love throwing parties. We throw good ones, too.
Good idea! We had a rehearsal dinner here a few years ago and hired a sitter and it worked out well.

We love to throw parties too. It was so darn cold here last night and the heaters in the tent did not heat very fast so most were in the house...CRAMMED like sardines! The bar and band was in the tent so as soon as the music started it got pretty warm with dancers

Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
I shave. Down there.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I shave. Down there.
How often?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
How often?

Every sunday night at 9pm.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:56 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyPoohFan317 View Post
When I was 7 we were living in FL in base housing and I was miserable, I hated FL (now I don't mind it so much, but it has too much sun and not enough snow for my tastes, but some great people) so I rebelled and 1-3 x's a week I would run away from home and sit right outside the main entrance to base till 1 of my parents would come get me, or one of my Dad's co-workers would be drag me home. I always packed my backpack with my Winnie the Pooh bear, books and whatever food I could grab and there I'd be sitting right by the base, protesting having to live there and having to live on base.

After a few months of this my Dad became exasperated with me (who wouldn't!?!) and when he and Mom got the call that I was back at my post (I always picked the same spot...close enough so there was someone official with a gun to shoot any alligators which at 7 I assumed were as common as mosquitoes in MN) he told the guards (he had some rank, not in charge, but up there. I don't remember what it was at that point) to leave me...it was getting dark and I was starting to feel abandoned, like "how dare they NOT come retrieve their runaway?". Obviously I was safe...but I was starting to get mad myself!

at 2130 one of Dad's good friends (a capt I think) came and sat down beside me. I remember that conversation well "so why are you here all the time?"

Me: "Because I hate it here, and I hate the base. So now I'm off the base."

the Capt. "Yeah, but what good is it doing you? You eventually have to go home."

Me: "It tells Mom and Dad what I think."

I don't remember the rest word for word, but it was during the 1st Gulf War (or about then, there was lots of War talk as I recall) and the Captain basically told me, this 7 year old to get over myself so he and Dad could focus on their jobs and doing what the President wanted. And that if I didn't he was going to tell the men to leave the alligators alone, I was off base after all.

The idea that I was going to be alligator food worked for a couple of months!

Anyway, that was my first big act of rebellion! I feel sorry for my poor parents, though I think I somewhat entertained the MP's that witnessed my rebellion.

I have always been proud that i had the opportunity to grow up an Army brat...........
We got to live in some beautiful states in our Great Country & other countries a year or two, meet new friends in different places, do a lot of fishin' & exploring.......................I saw Much Beauty moving around.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Throwing a couple in :

1. I've lived in four countries, and speak a little Japanese, and some very gramatically incorrect conversational Tagalog (Filipino), and can read some French.

2. I was a black belt and ranked 3rd in forms and sparring in a 5-state regional tournament in 1986.

3. I've been to almost 30 countries.

4. I was in Search and Rescue before I joined the Navy and was part of the search team who found a couple of the victims of the Trailside Killer in Calif.

5. I've saved 3 lives (one was my sister's).

6. I'm dyslexic.

7. I was voted "class comic" for our graduating class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships