Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times

Advertisements

Another thread got me to thinking..............

How did you feel about introducing your boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse to your family?

Were you proud to introduce your parents and siblings to your significant other?

Did you know your family and S.O. would hit it off well?

OR...................

Were you in hopes that they would be on their best behavior and not embarrass you by trotting out the family scandals?

Did you worry about what your S.O. would think and hope they didn't throw you under the bus because your family was deranged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
The wife was scared to death when meeting my mom, the reason was the language barrier. The wife doesn't speak Spanish and my mom doesn't speak English so I served as a translator between them.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
The wife was scared to death when meeting my mom, the reason was the language barrier. The wife doesn't speak Spanish and my mom doesn't speak English so I served as a translator between them.
be honest, did you make make up things as you went along to "smooth over" the introduction?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
be honest, did you make make up things as you went along to "smooth over" the introduction?

some things did get "edited" to create a nice enviroment.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I was pretty nervous when I met my inlaws for the first time. The fact that they had a very poor grasp of english at the time and that they were coming to live with me for a couple months added to the stress level. They were cool though. They just turned my home into "little Moscow" by preparing all different types of Russian foods.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Another thread got me to thinking..............

How did you feel about introducing your boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse to your family?

Were you proud to introduce your parents and siblings to your significant other?

Did you know your family and S.O. would hit it off well?

OR...................

Were you in hopes that they would be on their best behavior and not embarrass you by trotting out the family scandals?

Did you worry about what your S.O. would think and hope they didn't throw you under the bus because your family was deranged?
I'm curious about how YOU felt when you were going to introduce your sweetie to your family.

I was a nervous wreck because as I have stated in other threads, there are a couple folks in my family that I am terribly ashamed of. They are so morally bankrupt that I wonder how we could be related. My hubbys family are so "together." They are hard-working, have good values, raise their kids to be respectful of others, etc....Nice, decent people.
My family sprung from the Jerry Springer show.
I worried that my future husband would take one look at that group and decide that he would be better off with someone else.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
My wife met my mom on our first date, sheerly by accident (My dad was already deceased). We went to a huge music festival and my Mom was there with some of her friends. So we chatted for five minutes and moved on. Two months later, my wife invited herself to Sunday dinner with my Mom. Piece of cake.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,077 times
I'm actually meeting my boyfriend's Dad and his two younger brothers this Christmas for the first time. I am nervous and excited. I'm mostly nervous because I always feel like I want to make a good impression. I already met his mom, and funnily enough, she is just as socially awkward with new people as I am, so I guess it was okay. She was really nice though.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I was proud.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
When I introduced my boyfriend to my mom, I just figured I'd keep my mouth shut. He'd already heard about her and actually, it was just better for me to sit it out & let her speak her mind, which she did, to him....it didn't seem to scare him off whatsoever.

She did proceed to tell him that she always dated older men who could take care of her...he just smiled sweetly at her...(remember the age difference thing)...well, I figure, all those men are way dead & maybe it's better the other way around! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships