Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 18,322 times

Advertisements

What would you do if the woman you loved was leaving the country to study? Would you move with her? Long distance relationship? Other?
Is it selfish to ask her to stay with you?

-We are both serious about each other
-Will have a Bachelor's degree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
How long will she be gone for? If it was just for a couple of months, it should be no biggie. But if it were for longer and you wouldn't see each other for a long time, you really should evaluate just how much she means to you. If I were in you situation, I would break up with a guy who chose to leave the country for a long time to study. But if he left just for a little while, then that's something I could work through.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Depends, on the situation, I guess. How long have you been in this relationship?
How serious is it? Etc...

Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,585 times
This is a hard one. Loving someone def means making sacrifices the question is which one ofyou has to make that sacrifice. I would suggest talking it out with her and weighting all the pros and cons of you going with her or her staying with you. Good Luck!!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
My brother went out of the country while his girlfriend/now fiancee went to get her Phd and while he was there, he decided to get his masters! He misses being home but he is happy he went.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Been there done that several times and it never worked for a variety of reasons. For me anyways. You're in your world and they are in theirs and it's just not the same. However if you are truly committed and it is only a temporary thing, then certainly it can work and could make the relationship stronger. I think a separation with couples "in love" is a great thing. It's the ultimate truth teller. If you can't stay committed during a separation then you will never sustain a life long marriage with all the ups and downs that entails.

I don't believe you should hold someone back or play the guilt trip card. Sometimes there are just things people need to do in their lives.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 PM

She'd be gone for 2 years, maybe if we made a deal like move out there while she's in school and the come back? We're both very serious about each other, and I'd be willing to marry her, but I don't want to put that over her head, because she really wants to go.

We're actually apart right now without problems, but it is only a few months. I talk to her everyday for 5-15 hours per day. (yeah we're nuts) But two years just seems too long, and I think that would be a move or call it quits or something else. I'm not a desperate person, and I meet women easily, but I truly love her, and I have never met anyone in my life who is like her.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoEnHabana View Post
She'd be gone for 2 years, maybe if we made a deal like move out there while she's in school and the come back? We're both very serious about each other, and I'd be willing to marry her, but I don't want to put that over her head, because she really wants to go.

We're actually apart right now without problems, but it is only a few months. I talk to her everyday for 5-15 hours per day. (yeah we're nuts) But two years just seems too long, and I think that would be a move or call it quits or something else. I'm not a desperate person, and I meet women easily, but I truly love her, and I have never met anyone in my life who is like her.
I love romantic stories.....unfortunately i'm forced to live vicariously through everyone else's

Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I love romantic stories.....unfortunately i'm forced to live vicariously through everyone else's

Story of my life, I can't believe I found her :P

Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
^^^ I think I remember somone saying that to me once......lol

I kid.....i'm a lucky girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships