Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:08 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,759 times

Advertisements

Your mom needs to get into Al-Anon. In fact, why don't you invite her to go with you because it might help you to learn to deal with your family better?

It doesn't matter if your dad admits he's an alcoholic. It matters that the drinking is causing a problem in the family. You can't force your dad to get help but you and your mom can learn about the dynamics of your family and find the strength and tools to do what's best for you.

Oh, and about Alzheimer's, dealing with a spouse's alcoholism can lead to depression and depression can be accompanied by memory loss. You may think your dad's drinking isn't as bad as your mom implies, but even if you live in the same house there are things between a husband and wife that you have no idea about. You can't know everything your mom has endured because of your dad's drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Good suggestions here. You can go to Al Anon yourself- I think you will find a good support network there and may get other ideas on how to deal with the situation.

You also might try writing your mom a letter. Sleep on it for a few days, edit, sleep on it, then give it to her. Ditto with your dad- either a separate letter or one for both. Point out the things that you love about them and objectively describe the hurtful things. Sometimes just writing the letter itself and not giving it can help.

It sounds as though your mom is lashing out out of fear, misdirecting her anger at the family. She sounds scared and frustrated. Not acceptable, to be sure, but human, I guess. Easier said than done (I am still perfecting this), but if possible to keep an emotional arm's distance from her ranting- just disengage and let it go- it helps.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I've actually already brought up the drinking TO my dad, but of course he doesn't think anythings wrong. (some nights it's red wine, in the past it's been beer, lately it's been scotch and water).... so we've tried to get him to realize that it's a bit excessive, but really he never drinks enought to get totally DRUNK, but I'm not excusing it, he DOES drink every night when he comes home.

As far as my mom goes. I've noticed her deteriorating over the years. She USE to be a lot more pleasant and never was so combative. IT wasn't until she hit menopause and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and stopped working out that she suddenly started to be so negative. I've tried coaxing her to go back to working out, but she just uses the excuse that she's too busy (which is a load of CRAP cuz I'm currently working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day and I still fit working out 4-5 days in!).....
I agree, it's not healthy and it's excessive to drink every night after work. At the very least, it's self medicating gone wrong. Maybe you can get your dad to check out meditation or yoga as an alternative way to unwind. When the weather gets warmer, he and your mom could start taking some long walks together in a park. They could even be silent walks. lol

Your mom is a frustrated woman. While it's very admirable that she's stuck to her marriage vows all these years, she's still an unhappy unfulfilled woman. Here she is doing all the right things, and her life is miserable. Another suggestion is for her to get out of the house and find some volunteer or charity work for her to do that would make her feel good doing it. Sometimes seeing others in worse situations can help put a better perspective on her life.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 AM

809 posts, read 2,884,301 times
thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
I wouldn't bring up your mom's Alzheimer's potential to her at this time. That will just send her over the edge and get her even more defensive. Plus I think she knows her risk factors and it's already a worry for her. However, you can do more research in terms of treatments and mind exercises. If she doesn't like reading, maybe enrolling in some art classes might be enjoyable and relaxing for her. Just keep her using her brain.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 AM

625 posts, read 1,586,063 times
Surround and hug and don't let go til everyone gets it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships