Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times

Advertisements

Dad left at an early age so I grew up with two women in the house. A bitter mom kept hammering on being responsible for my actions, and followed by telling me my dates were ugly...or her term homely. Years later I realize there were some mental health issues at play. So to respond to the OP, my guidance was to be polite and respectful to women. Which didn't get me much in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,663 times
Conservative, utraconservative father. But our adult age behaviors come more from not just the spoken but unspoken parental realtionships imo. Big on verbal abuse but never a word about sexuality or treatment of women, I grew into what you'd call a "womanizer" if you wish. Multiple relationships, cheating, purely sexual relationships. Not until I became sick and tired of being sick and tired, sought counseling, recovery, and dealt with my seeking love and approval, building my ego with sexual conquest and ability, did I become content with one relationship, one lady.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
My dad was weird that way. He had a strong puritanical streak in him, but he'd sneak downstairs to watch HBO at 2 in the morning.

I basically kept mum on my dating life, being the fourth of four, but my oldest brother could have seduced nuns in a convent. Dad accused my brother of being a "cocksman" at the dinner table. Small wonder I kept quiet about all my girlfriends.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Conservative, utraconservative father. But our adult age behaviors come more from not just the spoken but unspoken parental realtionships imo. Big on verbal abuse but never a word about sexuality or treatment of women, I grew into what you'd call a "womanizer" if you wish. Multiple relationships, cheating, purely sexual relationships. Not until I became sick and tired of being sick and tired, sought counseling, recovery, and dealt with my seeking love and approval, building my ego with sexual conquest and ability, did I become content with one relationship, one lady.
Wow. The honesty is appreciated.

My father was a very observant Catholic, but he was conservative about some things and liberal about others. He had seen too much of the world (Europe, Africa, Australia, US) to have his head in the sand. He subtly let me know there were "nice girls" and the ones you want to steer clear of. I think he was conveying this as it relates to a relationship. I don't think the sexual conquest part is what he was talking about. He definitely had a honed instinct about girls who came over to the house during HS and college...who was "good" and who was "bad news."

Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM

541 posts, read 984,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I had three sisters and a mother, so I also learned about women on my own.
Your not from tennessee or anything are you?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi-irish View Post
your not from tennessee or anything are you?

lmfao!!!:d

Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wow. The honesty is appreciated.

My father was a very observant Catholic, but he was conservative about some things and liberal about others. He had seen too much of the world (Europe, Africa, Australia, US) to have his head in the sand. He subtly let me know there were "nice girls" and the ones you want to steer clear of. I think he was conveying this as it relates to a relationship. I don't think the sexual conquest part is what he was talking about. He definitely had a honed instinct about girls who came over to the house during HS and college...who was "good" and who was "bad news."
My parents were heavily, heavily involved in our denomination. They caught me more than once making out or half dressed with girls from church. Nothing, and I mean nothing, was ever said or done about it.
But when I dated a catholic girl(who btw, was insistent on no sex before marriage), all hell broke loose! They knew only that she was the dreaded "catholic".Their judgements were based purely upon who was part of our denomination, the morals of the young lady involved meant nothing. I concluded some time ago that although I was raised in a "church" household, I attended church over 3,000 times before I was 18...I was raised without morals.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What fun would it be if you were?! Have I mentioned lately I enter the parking lot every morning through the "Do not enter" side?!

Some parking lots have metal spikes if'n you drive in that side........................................ ........................

Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
HEY!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
HEY!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships