Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your take on the stay at home dad?
I'm a male - Being a stay at home dad is acceptable 18 22.22%
I'm a male - Being a stay at home dad is unacceptable 3 3.70%
I'm a male - I'm indifferent / Havent made up my mind yet 7 8.64%
I'm a female - Being a stay at home dad is acceptable 47 58.02%
I'm a female - Being a stay at home dad is unacceptable 3 3.70%
I'm a female - I'm indifferent / Havent made up my mind yet 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times

Advertisements

How close minded and old fashioned in your thinking are you?
Do you have children?
No one really wants their kids in daycare. Either parent should be suitable to be the care giver--if not then there is a whole other issue.
Who the hell ever said a mother is the only option or only person capable of raising children?
My son stays home to care for my newborn grandson. It was a decision he and his wife made. I don't question why as I'm just SO relieved the child isn't in daycare. My son is a wonderful,caring,devoted father. He's not a bum. No one who is a stay at home parent has the luxury of being lazy!!! It's a full time job and no job is more important. Let me repeat that-NO job is more important than the care of one's child.
I suggest that unless one is a parent- a loving,caring parent; then you have NO idea what it's like so stop judging others who ARE parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
gman, I'm surprised more people didn't vote "unacceptable". I wonder how many of the women who voted "acceptable" would be happy to support a man. My guess is not many. Theoritically, I think what other couples do is none of my business -- if they're happy with the man staying home, then more power to them -- but I bet most men who would accept this arrangement are lazy freeloaders with little self respect. I just have to wonder about a man who think it's ok for a woman to support him. These are probably also the types who expect women to pay on dates. I'm actually a very liberal guy, but I totally wonder about men who don't have a strong sense of needing to provide. To me, men who don't want to provide for others (and not just women, but their community in general) are as odd to me as women who hate babies. Sure, they exist ... and that's fine .. people are free to be themselves ... but still..really? A woman who hates babies? A man who doesn't take pride in providing for others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I've noticed the trend of really nasty and overly competitive women. It is acceptable and normal these days. Although I find it revolting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
major source of marital failure is that the woman has no respect for the guy.
this finishes the job. where romance is concerned, she finds a 120k CPA kind of sexy but doing it with a house daddy, please. women will advocate for house daddy all day long but when its time, primal instincts rule not logic, mr rogers does not cut it. even for a 6 figure female exec, her head may call him a house daddy but her heart will always say an unemployed male lazy bum, laying around my house doing nothing.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,337 times
[quote=Huckleberry3911948;6849959 even for a 6 figure female exec, her head may call him a house daddy but her heart will always say an unemployed male lazy bum, laying around my house doing nothing.[/quote]

Have you ever cared for a child full time?- it makes a day at the office seem like a breeze! Lazy bums, doing nothing? Don't think so.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Have you ever cared for a child full time?- it makes a day at the office seem like a breeze! Lazy bums, doing nothing? Don't think so.
yes 2. didnt say he did not merit respect the issue was getting it.
issues of respect, this is rich fertile ground for denial, which is not a river in egypt. present company excepted of course.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-05-2009 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Well, I'm pretty much anti stay at home parent. It leaves one parent shouldering the entire burden of supporting the family alone and I don't think adults should expect other adults to pay their bills for them without good reason. (Just my opoinion as I would not ask my husband to take on that burden and I don't want him to ask me to either).

However, people are free to do as they wish. Just don't cry to me when you don't have enough to retire on or can't afford milk. (A pet peeve of mine is women who use things like WIC rather than get a job) I really don't care what you do and you really shouldn't care if I care.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Yes, I have a daughter who is about to turn seven -- thanks for asking. Dream, if your son and his wife are happy, more power to them. I stated in my last post it's none of my business to dictate how other people should live. However, in my experience, I have just never met a man whom I respect who would be happy to let a woman take care of him. Likewise, I have never met a woman who has good self esteem who would be cool with taking care of a man.

I'm not saying exceptions don't exist .. maybe your son is the exception. But I do think there are generally some differences between men and women. Women usually are more nurturing and like children just a tad more than men do. How many male day care workers or nannies or kindergarten teachers do you know? Again, not saying they're not out there, and if I ran into a man who was a kindergarten teacher, I wouldn't judge him without seeing how he does and how his students respond to him, but still ... they're kind of rare. If your son keeps a mean house, clips coupons and is a diligent grocery shopper, picks out some really nice curtains and cooks up something tasty for the wife for dinner after she has a hard day at the office .. cool. She's a lucky woman. I've just never seen this kind of arrangement. I have known some women who have lazy freeloaders sitting on their couches in a pile of unwashed laundry though. They didn't seem too happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
How close minded and old fashioned in your thinking are you?
Do you have children?
No one really wants their kids in daycare. Either parent should be suitable to be the care giver--if not then there is a whole other issue.
Who the hell ever said a mother is the only option or only person capable of raising children?
My son stays home to care for my newborn grandson. It was a decision he and his wife made. I don't question why as I'm just SO relieved the child isn't in daycare. My son is a wonderful,caring,devoted father. He's not a bum. No one who is a stay at home parent has the luxury of being lazy!!! It's a full time job and no job is more important. Let me repeat that-NO job is more important than the care of one's child.
I suggest that unless one is a parent- a loving,caring parent; then you have NO idea what it's like so stop judging others who ARE parents.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,337 times
[quote=Ivorytickler;6852341]Well, I'm pretty much anti stay at home parent. It leaves one parent shouldering the entire burden of supporting the family alone and I don't think adults should expect other adults to pay their bills for them without good reason.

Not staying home now, but have in the past. I do see your point about one parent shouldering the financial burden, but in our case he would rather deal with the pressure of that than have someone else raise our child. I may not have had a paycheck, but made an investment in our future.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Does it make him feel less manly. Once again maybe its just because i'm old fashioned but i would feel inatequate if i wasnt supporting the family.

G Rizzle
So would I. That's why both my husband and I work.

Seriously, I think PARENTS have an obligation to support their kids not just dads.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:51 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yes, I have a daughter who is about to turn seven -- thanks for asking. Dream, if your son and his wife are happy, more power to them. I stated in my last post it's none of my business to dictate how other people should live. However, in my experience, I have just never met a man whom I respect who would be happy to let a woman take care of him. Likewise, I have never met a woman who has good self esteem who would be cool with taking care of a man.

I'm not saying exceptions don't exist .. maybe your son is the exception. But I do think there are generally some differences between men and women. Women usually are more nurturing and like children just a tad more than men do. How many male day care workers or nannies or kindergarten teachers do you know? Again, not saying they're not out there, and if I ran into a man who was a kindergarten teacher, I wouldn't judge him without seeing how he does and how his students respond to him, but still ... they're kind of rare. If your son keeps a mean house, clips coupons and is a diligent grocery shopper, picks out some really nice curtains and cooks up something tasty for the wife for dinner after she has a hard day at the office .. cool. She's a lucky woman. I've just never seen this kind of arrangement. I have known some women who have lazy freeloaders sitting on their couches in a pile of unwashed laundry though. They didn't seem too happy.

My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
I've said once and I'll say it again. Not everything is for everyone. And while there is no such thing as "normal" anymore, there is such a thing called "tradition" and most people are more comfortable with the traditional way of doing things. Yes it's cool and "modern" to say "let the man stay home and raise the kids", and if that works for you, great. But doesn't make those us who prefer tradition wrong, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships