Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:02 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Youve got to be kidding. My son got laid-off and behind $700.00 on support. He went to court and got 150 days in jail.

Jersgrl
I know exactly what you are talking about. Family court is a joke here too. My son finially got a court order filed to lower his cs. It cost $75 to file the order then there will be court costs on top of that. I hope they dont lock him back up when he goes to court. He is like, crap if I had that $$ I'd just give it to her for support.

Meanwhile she acts like the kids are starving, but she has a nice section 8 appartment, a nice car, manicured nails, highlights, 3 cell phones, about 15 piercings (those are the ones I can see), a purse full of prescription drugs, has defrauded the state over 9,000 in food stamps and owns money all over 3 counties.
What do piercings have to do with this?
As for your son, if you have time, look up your state online like I did for NJ to make sure he covered his butt and filed right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
Well, that's the way things are supposed to be, but everyone knows a lot of CP's don't spend every last cent on the child, or else you'd never hear stories like the poster who said she was paying support and when she saw her kids they were dressed in raggy, too-small clothes. Maybe courts should make CP's account for every cent spent of child support-then they wouldn't do these things.
My friend (the guy) is behind about 12,000 dollars (yes really.) As far as staying in touch with court regarding changes in income, he just went to court yesterday for a c.s. hearing for non-payment and when he tried showing his paystubs to the hearing officer, they wouldn't even look at them. He went from making around $ 350 a week to $50, no kidding, and he filed for a reduction and they turned him down! He's supposed to pay $86 a week plus $20 in arrears (this is for ONE kid, mind you) and when he gets his $50 paycheck they take out $30 for support and leave $20 for him. This guy also has a wife and two other kids to support. His job seriously cut back hours and he can't find another job because (1) he doesn't have a driver's license, which seriously hurts you job-wise; (2) he has a criminal record. About the only thing he could do at this point is maybe pump gas for $7 an hour, but where he lives all the gas stations are family owned and operated. The only skills he has are as a driver, and unfortunately he lost his license for non-payment of municipal court fines (he was in jail and couldn't pay them.) He has asked his ex (whom he was never married to, BTW) over and over to give him a break-she knows his situation but obviously is a vindictive b***h who's pissed off because he left her for his current wife and she wants to make his life miserable. I told him he needs to move out of NJ because as anyone in this state knows, the family court system is a joke here. Like I said before, all they care about is money, and I guess if you get sick or lose your job you're supposed to go sell your a** to pay your support. His ex knows what his limitations are as far as employment goes, yet still insists on dogging him for support, which tells me she's just a b***h looking for revenge.
I also don't think his other children should have to be on welfare because all his pay goes to his ex. What about their "best interests"? I guess it's OK if taxpayers support his other two kids?? The whole thing stinks.
My opinion; he probably did something wrong, paperwork wise.
I've been to court for one thing and thought that a few things could be included, not. Even though they were related, if it wasn't in the motion, they wouldn't talk about it.

I can't say enough times to go to the links, look at the packet, then look into a paralegal. I bet the paralegal can tell him exactly what was wrong during that court date.

NJ Paralegals
NJ Paralegal service (http://www.newjerseyparalegalservices.com/?gclid=CJS_0PeXxZcCFQQrFQodTBIgTA - broken link)

Switchboard.com paralegal (http://www.switchboard.com/home.htm?CID=1796&KW=Paralegal+Services - broken link) - just select the town/state you need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
What do piercings have to do with this?
Piercings arent free. If you have money to get your eybrows, nose and tounge pierced dont cry I dont have money to feed my kids.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Piercings arent free. If you have money to get your eybrows, nose and tounge pierced dont cry I dont have money to feed my kids.
Some people pierce themselves.
I do agree with what you're saying though.. she has the money for things other then supporting the kids.

My kids always come first, unfortunately, some people don't think like that

Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Ladies there is something you're not getting. The NCP owes child support to his child. The CP could be the wealthist person on the planet, it doesn't take away the fact that the NCP must support his child.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 AM

542 posts, read 1,684,650 times
If he is $12,000 behind, he stopped paying a while ago and should have filed for a reduction then instead of stopping. That coupled with a record is not making him look too favorable with the court no doubt.

Really..at some point after continually falling behind I would think getting married to someone with two kids or having two kids was not a great idea! Goodness!

Your friend needs an attorney and due to lack of income, may get help from Legal Aid. He needs to get off his butt and find a few jobs though! I doubt he is going to get much sympathy on this board or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 AM

542 posts, read 1,684,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Ladies there is something you're not getting. The NCP owes child support to his child. The CP could be the wealthist person on the planet, it doesn't take away the fact that the NCP must support his child.
Agreed.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post

Yes, but the CP's income should be taken into consideration when the court figures out the support amount. All I ever see is NCP's having to show proof of income-never CP's. They should make CP's account for the support money, then maybe more kids would get what they need instead of mom spending it on drugs/alcohol/cigarettes/lottery tickets/goodies for her new man, etc. which happens a lot, sadly.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 785 times
Why should someone have to write down when they call, or carry a notebook around to record every instance that the other parent break the ruless orrr everytime they do something invoving their child. To me that is ridiculous. If a non custodial parent has court ordered visitation rights signed by a judge and the custodial parent refuses to abide by those set agreements he/she should be arrested or fined because technically they are breaking the law. A person should not have to pay for an attorney to have their court ordered rights protected, especially since they ALREADY paid thousands to get the court order in the first place. There must be a loop hole or a law somewhere because it sounds awfully unconstitutional. Also for all the dads out there, it seems very unfair and discriminating when a woman can go to the courthouse or the police and report a father who doesn't pay support and that father will be arrested for non compliance... just seems awful ****ed up to me.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:52 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Agreed, but what you don't understand is how they determine child support. The courts look at your income history. So if in the past you worked a steady 40 hr./week job, grossed 50K/yr. but now you lost your job and are making barely making 20K the court still requires you to pay based on what you could be earning (50K for example).

You can only file for a change of CS so often (I cant remember exactly how many times in a certain amount of time). You have to pay $75 and fill out a form for a court date which can take up to 3 months in which time you are still required to pay the original amount of CS. Now the state takes up the case for the custodial parent for free and in that 3 month period while you wait for a hearing the custodial parent can have you arrested for non payment if you have fallen behind.

If the custodial parent loses a job and his/her income is greatly reduced they are automatically eligible for government assistance. If you are still married and lose an income you are eligible for government assistance. If you are a non-custodial parent and lose an income you may go to jail.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Threads like this **** me off.

My ex tells everyone I wont let him see our son.

What he does not tell them is that he is on court ordered supervised visitation and can schedule visits. He chooses to not participate. That is squarely on him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships