Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:51 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times

Advertisements

I'm getting close to hitting the big 4-0 and having been thinking alot about life and how we grow and change and how our opinions of things change as we get older. It seems like I'm in a whole different place at 39 as opposed to 22.

I know it is basic getting older and wiser type of stuff, yet I still find it interesting how we change, yet stay the same.

Odd isn't it.

When I was 22, I thought 39 was old, yet at 39 I know it isn't old.

Age is one of the things in life that is relative.

Share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:12 PM

754 posts, read 1,448,848 times
That's the best part about growing up! Remember when you were 22 and a girl rejected you, you thought your life was over? Or any number of other things that were all important to us then that barely registers as a blip on the radar now. Think about all the unneccessary drama of youth. Getting older and more importantly life experiences teaches us what's important.

When I hear one of my 20 something female friends become distraught over something I consider trivial, I am proud that I am no longer that person. Life is much easier when you learn not to sweat the small stuff and you learn to truly appreciate your blessings. That's the good stuff! The best part now is sitting back and watching the 20 year olds make the same mistakes even though we tried to tell them LOL. It only gets better from there, because when you're 60 you'll be shaking your head at the 40 year olds.

Besides, I just turned 36 so you're still a baby in my eyes Besides, doesn't it seem like the older you get the less important birthday's are?

Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,277 times
I am 39 and 6 months Excatly .

Frankly we are in the same age and thoughts.

When I was 27 years old ,I look at people in 37 as very old people, and now I am 39 .So according to my thoughts I suppose to die .

Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,742 times
Now, I guess i'm still a youngin cuz I'm only 25 but one thing I've learned is to learn from everything, good and bad and use my mistakes and the things I do well to become a more mature, wiser woman.

I've also learned that one of the only things that is constant in life is change.

Oh and to always let my friends and family know that I love them and settle disagreements quickly, because you never when a conversation you've had with someone is going to be your last one.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,657,993 times
I notice this age thing going on, more than I ever used too.
I feel that time is flying by, where it used to seem like a day lasted forever.
I have learned to try to enjoy everyday.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Ahhh, to be 40 again!

Seriously, as yankeegirl says, the days, they go by faster and faster. It seems to me it was about three years ago when I was 35.

I'm now 63.

It's been a busy three years, but still.... How did I age so much in that short time?

I remember my dad's 40th birthday. We had a huge party. He had become and old man.

My son, the new-born baby that I drove home from the hospital when he was two days old.... He'll turn 39 next year.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
I've learned that the only person's actions and reactions I can control are my own.

I cannot make someone change - they will only change if they want to, and not always in the way that you wanted.

I have learned that, next to my daughter, the person who matters most in my life is me.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:40 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
That's the best part about growing up! Remember when you were 22 and a girl rejected you, you thought your life was over? Or any number of other things that were all important to us then that barely registers as a blip on the radar now. Think about all the unneccessary drama of youth. Getting older and more importantly life experiences teaches us what's important.

When I hear one of my 20 something female friends become distraught over something I consider trivial, I am proud that I am no longer that person. Life is much easier when you learn not to sweat the small stuff and you learn to truly appreciate your blessings. That's the good stuff! The best part now is sitting back and watching the 20 year olds make the same mistakes even though we tried to tell them LOL. It only gets better from there, because when you're 60 you'll be shaking your head at the 40 year olds.

Besides, I just turned 36 so you're still a baby in my eyes Besides, doesn't it seem like the older you get the less important birthday's are?
LovelyinLa I couldn't agree more
As you get older you just learn not to let the little things bother you any more
I'm also 39 years old and after my parents have long gone you really do start
to realise that life's to short.I'm happier now than I have ever been

My only problem now getting older is waking up an looking into that mirror every morning
I tell you I get the same expression on my face as that little guy below

Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Ooooooh boy, here goes:

*Disclaimer: These views are not going to be popular, but they have been proven to be true.

- Shut up. I've told myself this increasingly over the years. There is so much that just doesn't need to be said out loud.

- Don't expect compromise. Even if you know your views are right in a given situation, there will be those who fight you tooth and nail; count on it.

- Frugality rules. Always. I've become a miser.

- Blood is not thicker than water. Family will ********* quicker than you can imagine, and then act like the victim.

- Fly under the radar. Protect what little privacy you've got left.

There are more, but I'm still working on compiling them all for a book.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 AM

42 posts, read 141,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Ooooooh boy, here goes:

*Disclaimer: These views are not going to be popular, but they have been proven to be true.

- Shut up. I've told myself this increasingly over the years. There is so much that just doesn't need to be said out loud.

- Don't expect compromise. Even if you know your views are right in a given situation, there will be those who fight you tooth and nail; count on it.

- Frugality rules. Always. I've become a miser.

- Blood is not thicker than water. Family will ********* quicker than you can imagine, and then act like the victim.

- Fly under the radar. Protect what little privacy you've got left.

There are more, but I'm still working on compiling them all for a book.
I hear ya on all those! Another thing I've learned and I'm past the 4-0 mark, is to have fun, don't go broke over it, because if it's too expensive to do, it's not fun to begin with.

Generations change only because the one before it tried to make life easier for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships