Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyPoohFan317 View Post
So, what are your favorite/tried and true methods to deal with a break-up or a mutual choice to end a relationship? My fiance and I JUST (this morning) broke up and I decided to deal with it by:
1 going for a long run
2. using my punching bag
3 eating chocolate chips and
4.watching Friends.

What about y'all???
Good luck to you and I am sorry about the break up. It sounds like you did a good mix of things to get you through the day. Just keep moving foward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 AM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,660 times
Oh in case you were wondering it ended cuz he got another chick preggers! If you're going to cheat at least be smart and safe about it!!! UGH! The sad thing is, at this point I'm somewhat jealous of that chick!!! I so want to say things (I have, early this morning I was telling my cat exactly what I thought of him! She's a good listener!) that the censors would probably delete!

I have GREAT friends and I plan to use them. I fly to my parents' place soon and my best friend will be there, so that'll be great. In the mean time I'm thinking the going out and having a few drinks does sound good (though I don't like to get drunk, I'd rather other people look like idiots, that and I'm WAY to willing to do stupid stuff when drunk, so I try not to). I have some friends coming over for lunch (a reg. Sunday thing).

It happens for a reason, and eventually I'll be glad that things came up before marriage and not after, but DARN IT...if it doesn't suck!

Oh well, I need to focus on the positive things in life...friends, family, and where I'll be... A WHITE CHRISTMAS!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Get a dog. After doing this a few times and you have 5+ dogs, you won't have time to chase the crazy women that want to be 'just friends'.

Best Ways to Deal With A Break-Up.-untitled.jpg

Old 12-14-2008, 08:18 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
The best way to get over someone is a good rebound ! Haa ! Ok, seriously though ...

As hard as it is, you have to focus forward and move on- Make a list of pros and cons why you aren't together anymore and look at it everytime you start thinking of that person. Additionally remember they may not be thinking about you, so why give them the satisfaction of thinking about them ... Keep yourself busy- self improvements- new hobbies, activities, or even a class at night (Cooking, skiing, etc).

Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Oh in case you were wondering it ended cuz he got another chick preggers!
Army, you're better off -- I hope you know that. I'm a soldier, and I hate calling out my comrades, but I've seen waaaay to much to want my daughter to marry a soldier. Soldiers, guys and girls, get around. Marriage isn't compatible with Army life for the most part. Of course, some Army marriages are strong, but fewer than in civilian life I'm sure. On a few different occasions, girls (soldiers) have come onto me and seemed a little shocked when I told them... thanks but no thanks, I'm married. They're just not used to hearing that. "Of course you're married .. we're all married... so what is the problem again?" You're better off staying away from this drama.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 AM

I probably am better off staying away from it. But it is also the culture I was raised in (though that was NAVY) and my Dad was a stand-up guy (he and Mom have been married for 30+ years now) though all my other military relatives have had multiple marriages and multiple relationships during those marriages. Though on the flip side, I've also seen how the military can strengthen marriages and teach the couple to really communicate. It all depends on how dedicated the couple is to the relationship. A lot of the military people that cheat do it because it is EASY, and they think they can get away with it.

But for now at least I'm done...though I have considered joining the military as a chaplain (I'm praying about that one). It would probably be through the NAVY if I do join. That is something for another day, when I'm closer to finishing seminary.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Army, good for your dad -- I hope my daughter will one day say the same about me, but still ... he's kind of rare. Service members can be great people, and they have a lot of good qualities, but it's just not a good lifestyle for married people. Was this girl he got pregnant a soldier?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
I think it would depend on if you are the dumpee or the dumper.

If the dumper, I'd chill for a while and try to make it a point to be as nice & polite to your ex and her (his) friends as possible so as not to look like a jerk. It's always best to try and remain friends.

If you're the dumpee, I say to hand with close friends for a while before jumping back into the fire. Jumping in again too soon is an easy way to get burned again. And burn oinment can get spendy.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Army, good for your dad -- I hope my daughter will one day say the same about me, but still ... he's kind of rare. Service members can be great people, and they have a lot of good qualities, but it's just not a good lifestyle for married people. Was this girl he got pregnant a soldier?

No, just a local girl from where he is stationed. If I can trust what he has told me about previous relationships, than he doesn't go for girls in uniform (thinks we belong at home not carrying a gun, and certainly not as officers). But who knows how much I can really trust??? But I figure he is being honest when he said that she is a civilian, why lie about that?

Service members can be great. The majority of my friends are in the military or are milspouses. Its harder on a relationship, but not impossible. Good job on being a stand-up member, and THANKS for all that you and your family do for us!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
I probably am better off staying away from it. But it is also the culture I was raised in (though that was NAVY) and my Dad was a stand-up guy (he and Mom have been married for 30+ years now) though all my other military relatives have had multiple marriages and multiple relationships during those marriages. Though on the flip side, I've also seen how the military can strengthen marriages and teach the couple to really communicate. It all depends on how dedicated the couple is to the relationship. A lot of the military people that cheat do it because it is EASY, and they think they can get away with it.
That's what I found as a military brat growing up. The military and the temporary separation that sometimes goes with it either strengthened the bonds of marriage between two people or it just fell apart in disaster. It was never in the middle, it always went either way in a big way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships