Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I don't really consider it ok, I'm just saying that he was responsible at work, but apparently not at home. But we can never really know what goes on in the dark heart of another human being
Well, yeah, the world today is full of kids who have mortgages and car keys and the whole nine yards. If some women feel like being nannies, more power to them. I'd imagine he wasn't any different before they got married. That's not something hidden usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
I just don't understand grown men who play video games. I would never marry a woman who plays with barbies, but if I did, I wouldn't complain about her immaturity after we had kids.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,398 times
You're right, it was the same routine before they had the kid.

But let's be fair--it could just as easily have been a woman playing the game as a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, yeah, the world today is full of kids who have mortgages and car keys and the whole nine yards. If some women feel like being nannies, more power to them. I'd imagine he wasn't any different before they got married. That's not something hidden usually.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
You're right, it was the same routine before they had the kid.

But let's be fair--it could just as easily have been a woman playing the game as a man.
I'm not arguing gender here. As it was said above, I'd feel the same about being married to somebody who plays with Barbies. Somehow I haven't heard of any women playing games in their evenings, though.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
Meh, there are games aimed at kids and games aimed at adults. At the end of the day it's a recreational activity. If video games are interfering with the marriage then you really need to talk about it with him.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Meh, there are games aimed at kids and games aimed at adults.
You probably mean "adults" who also think poking holes in condoms is funny.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You probably mean "adults" who also think poking holes in condoms is funny.
Maturity has nothing to do with technophobia and I also think that attacking other people's character isn't very mature either.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,434 times
I am turning 34 in a few months and I completely empathize with you. My wife and I went through it for a few years when my daughter, at the time, was 1-2 years old. I played video games and she knew that going in, but I wasn't out of control or anything. I would play until late in the evening and sometimes until morning and had to call in sick from work. After awhile it was affecting my work, my time with my daughter and the wife, etc. until I finally said enough was enough and stopped.

Now my brother in law has it really bad. I played games that are typically short on the Playstation or Xbox, but my brother in law is a die hard RPG online gamer. His daughter just turned three and the guy doesn't go to work or school. His wife continues to make up excuses for him on why it's acceptable to not take care of his daughter, go to work, or even earn a single paycheck. He gets mad when she comes home late and not able to cook him dinner and wonders why there's never any food around the house. Her response is always the same when we yell at him, "but he is under so much streess this is his way of coping!" Right. It's hard because he wants to have sex and give birth to two kids so he copes by playing with more video games?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I just don't understand grown men who play video games. I would never marry a woman who plays with barbies, but if I did, I wouldn't complain about her immaturity after we had kids.
I don't understand the opposite view. It's not like every game is made for children. To keep with your comparison is like saying that keeping replica
models of trains is as childish as owning a chu chu train.

Do they compare?

I'd say no unless you are unfairly generalizing them and not really looking at the variety available.

I see no one complain about a guy sitting down with his friends and having a beer while watching a game of football so why is it so different when they do the exact same thing but they are controlling the players instead? Would you rather he be with you at home with you than going off every day to the pub(tavern)?

I think this is just a case of peer pressure. You'd think you were past that after college but it turns out that now it's not mature to play games because kids, teenagers and young adults also play them. Well phooey, when I was a teenager It was the best way I could connect with my dad. We'd sit on the conservatory playing Rainbow six(a game about special ops thwarting terrorist) and talk.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Your friend is a slug. She should stomp that game into tiny pieces next time he leaves the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships