Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:16 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,698,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I used to work with someone years ago. His wife had a baby (their first child), but instead of helping out with the baby he continued with his old behaviour, coming home every night from work and playing PlayStation, while his wife did all the work. Has anyone here experienced a similar situation?
Before my daughter was born, I played video games. However, after she was born, I was playing video games for a short while (2-3 weeks). I started to taper off to the point that I gave up my system and never upgraded the video game system until she was 6 years old (Nintendo Wii). I still have little interest in playing it by myself. I love playing with and against her on the system.

When our daughter was born, I realized the shift in responsibility had to be taken. Unfortunately, there are many people who continue the life as an adolescent - into adulthood - and have problems between the priorities of life and fantasy (i.e. video games).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM

22,186 posts, read 29,156,590 times
I would throw the video game system in the garbage and/or tell him to get out. Grow the eff up!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,747,250 times
I know/have heard of guys who play online games 30 hours or more a week.
Cant be good for the marriage!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,948,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Maturity has nothing to do with technophobia and I also think that attacking other people's character isn't very mature either.
No. Maturity is about putting down the game console to pay attention to supposedly the most important person in his life. Maturity is saying to oneself, "Gosh, I'm being awfully self-centered here by sitting here playing a video game all night while my wife is doing all the cotton-picking work."

Old 12-15-2008, 12:48 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,075,105 times
These people are addicts. They deserve the same sympathy we give to the alcoholic--not shaming and victim-blaming. It's out of their control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
I am turning 34 in a few months and I completely empathize with you. My wife and I went through it for a few years when my daughter, at the time, was 1-2 years old. I played video games and she knew that going in, but I wasn't out of control or anything. I would play until late in the evening and sometimes until morning and had to call in sick from work. After awhile it was affecting my work, my time with my daughter and the wife, etc. until I finally said enough was enough and stopped.

Now my brother in law has it really bad. I played games that are typically short on the Playstation or Xbox, but my brother in law is a die hard RPG online gamer. His daughter just turned three and the guy doesn't go to work or school. His wife continues to make up excuses for him on why it's acceptable to not take care of his daughter, go to work, or even earn a single paycheck. He gets mad when she comes home late and not able to cook him dinner and wonders why there's never any food around the house. Her response is always the same when we yell at him, "but he is under so much streess this is his way of coping!" Right. It's hard because he wants to have sex and give birth to two kids so he copes by playing with more video games?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, yeah, the world today is full of kids who have mortgages and car keys and the whole nine yards. If some women feel like being nannies, more power to them. I'd imagine he wasn't any different before they got married. That's not something hidden usually.
Oh get over it, just because someone works hard all day and uses games to unwind doesn't make him a child.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Maturity has nothing to do with technophobia and I also think that attacking other people's character isn't very mature either.
exactly

Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,047,434 times
My ex was hooked on video games and wouldn't help me clean up. So, I started playing strip-video games and intentionally losing. After a while, I told him that I was too busy cleaing up after the kids went to bed and didn't have time to do it any more, so he quickly got a clue and started helping me so I could play with him again. Needless to say, the games didn't last very long and he wasn't addicted to them as much any more.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I used to work with someone years ago. His wife had a baby (their first child), but instead of helping out with the baby he continued with his old behaviour, coming home every night from work and playing PlayStation, while his wife did all the work. Has anyone here experienced a similar situation?
Wait wait wait, was she a stay at home mom while he earned all the money? SORRY but im tired of all this politically correct BS, if he earned the money working a hard job he earned time off. SO what does she want him to do? Work an actual job AND come home to take care of household duties? So he doesn't deserve any time to unwind? If this is the case how about she gets a job and with the extra money they both can take some time off and hire a baby sitter.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,075,105 times
Yes, it was a traditional marriage. I don't know whether she objected to his game playing or not--maybe she was ok with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Wait wait wait, was she a stay at home mom while he earned all the money? SORRY but im tired of all this politically correct BS, if he earned the money working a hard job he earned time off. SO what does she want him to do? Work an actual job AND come home to take care of household duties? So he doesn't deserve any time to unwind? If this is the case how about she gets a job and with the extra money they both can take some time off and hire a baby sitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships