Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 AM

3,973 posts, read 7,677,878 times

Advertisements

good points! I learned alot from that, too! I had a gf that bought expensive (jewelry, cell phones, camcorders) items for the guys she dated. Unfortunately they were only using her for sex and expensive gifts.
I felt soooo bad for her, but she wouldn't listen to me when I told her to stop. I don't think she's done that for a long time now, thank goodness.
But watching that, I NEVER bought my bf's items like that, no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
When I was in high school, my father gave me the wise words of "Stay away from boys. You don't want to have to deal with that crap now." I'm so glad I never got involved in "relationships" or was sexually active in my teen years.

My husband has taught me A LOT...as a partner and as a friend. From a relationship standpoint, when we were dating, but exclusive, he told me there were no "breaks". Either we communicate and work it out together or we split for good.

Otherwise I learned what not to do by observing others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM

943 posts, read 3,329,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I've learned that life's too short to worry about guys. Especially when it somes to guys not calling, breaking dates, cheating, etc.
I don't put up with that behavior. When I was younger, I held on to this guy I thought was my bf, he didn't treat me well at all, making no effort at all in the "relationship", so finally I "ended" it, even though it didn't feel like anything anyway! and after that and a few losers I let get close to me, I just decided, you know what? I am no longer going to accept this behavior. I am going to empower myself by not caring about these losers, not calling them, etc. Now I have adaopted a "don't give a s**t" attitude, meaning if the guy doesn't call me, just want to have sex, etc, I stop contact immediately (don't give a s**t). I forget his name and number, and move on.
then when they call 2 -3 months later (which most of them do) I have already forgotten who they were!
Sooo true, my cousin told me that men are like handbags..if it doesn't match up then put it away and pick out a new one.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM

yes, new ones always come along. but unlike a Coach bag, the guys don't last!! ha! ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Sooo true, my cousin told me that men are like handbags..if it doesn't match up then put it away and pick out a new one.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,102,413 times
Men have taught me not to trust what they say, but to watch them and make my decisions based on what they do.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM

another good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Men have taught me not to trust what they say, but to watch them and make my decisions based on what they do.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 AM

Yes actions speak louder than words..always!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
yes, new ones always come along. but unlike a Coach bag, the guys don't last!! ha! ha!
LOL..I learned that when I met 4 interesting guys over the weekend..men really are a dime a dozen

Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM

yep, I met 2 myself! but it's the quality ones that are few and far between!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
LOL..I learned that when I met 4 interesting guys over the weekend..men really are a dime a dozen

Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,102,413 times
And sometimes even the quality ones require a bit of patience (and I *do* know the door swings both ways!).

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,636,566 times
Men have taught me strength, patience, tolerance and to trust my intuition.

I have no beefs with men as a whole where I would blanket statement. Being jaded (or not) is an individual decision and I choose to not be. Being jaded is way too restrictive of a way for me to live. I've been lied to, cheated on, been through hell and back, blah-bloo-dee-blah. . . umm, sooo what? Boo-hoo-wah for me. Only one man was a part for that very small 20 years of my life VS what I hope to have ahead of me. What I have learned from that is just that - one man was a part of it. I cannot relate with the "once bitten, twice shy" train of thought that I see some other women possess. I prefer to make lemonade with my lemons. My absolute fave saying is, "if you keep one foot on yesterday and one foot on tomorrow - you will p*ss all over today." It's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships