Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, answer me this...if they do not realize they are doing it why don't they let everyone around them know what they are doing? If there is no shame in it, since it is an "abnormality" why don't they chat it up at the neighborhood barbecues?? Because they know they are wrong!

Inmates don't tell the truth but it is not because they don't know it...they don't tell the truth because they are liars!
They know the actions are wrong but justified. They just don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
You and I will just have to agree to disagree...they know what they are doing...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
You and I will just have to agree to disagree...they know what they are doing...
They know what they are doing. They are justifying it by saying that the person being abused asked for it, provoked them and therefore deserved it. They deflect the act on the person being abused. What they do is to NOT acknowledge that it IS abuse.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM

I'm not talking about just the physical abuse, but the psychological warfare that takes place. It's not as easy to identify as doing something wrong. That's what they don't see.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Nevermind...I have more to say...

If they have mental abnormalities, I would like to see spousal abuse/murder cases in which a man has pled insanity and got off...just one will do the job...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
They know what they are doing. They are justifying it by saying that the person being abused asked for it, provoked them and therefore deserved it. They deflect the act on the person being abused. What they do is to NOT acknowledge that it IS abuse.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. They think that they are justified and in thinking that, they do not see that it's truly wrong.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm talking about. They think that they are justified and in thinking that, they do not see that it's truly wrong.
JUSTIFICATION IS NOT MENTAL ABNORMALITIES!!

I want to see some medical proof that abusers have mental abnormalities because right now it sounds like you are justifying it by making excuses.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
I agree that they are all those things, but they don't see that what they're doing is wrong.

If you asked any inmate why they are in prison, they will not tell you that they did anything wrong. Instead, they will all advocate that they were themselves victimized and driven to it.
The fact that they deny responsibilty and try to justify their actions doesn't mean that they believe it to be true or don't understand that what they've done is wrong.

They know that they're guilty but they don't want to accept responsibility for their actions and pay the penalty.

It's about manipulation. It's a game.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Nevermind...I have more to say...

If they have mental abnormalities, I would like to see spousal abuse/murder cases in which a man has pled insanity and got off...just one will do the job...
I'm not saying that they're insane. I get what you're trying to say and I think we essentially agree that they know they're actions are wrong, but they substantiate it over and over in their heads till they convince themselves that they were justified. Otherwise, they would see themselves as the horrible people they really were and they won't do that.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that they're insane. I get what you're trying to say and I think we essentially agree that they know they're actions are wrong, but they substantiate it over and over in their heads till they convince themselves that they were justified. Otherwise, they would see themselves as the horrible people they really were and they won't do that.
MommyV - you assume these people have a conscience, enough to see themselves as horrible people. They don't have a conscience and will never be repentant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships