Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Not at all. It is quite obvious that the subtleties of Nietzsche's philosophy escape you. And I won't waste my time explaining it to you. You won't get it. Anyway, if you've read "The Genealogy of Morals","Beyond Good and Evil" or "Thus Spake Zarathustra" You would understand my name. There's nothing embarrassing about it.

Now, back to the discussion. What do you have against the YouTube video? It simply explains the origins of the holiday that falls on Dec.25th.
Actually, I'm fully aware of the subject. Personally, I think Christmas probably fell in Summertime, when the shepherds actually tended flocks in the hills, as opposed to winter, when shepherds tended flocks down in the lowlands. Do you actually have a point besides the one that is atop your head, you pretentious little git?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,313,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Philosophical. LOL Knowledge without wisdom is useless.

. You really have nothing to offer, do you?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Now, back to the discussion. What do you have against the YouTube video? It simply explains the origins of the holiday that falls on Dec.25th.
LOL Why do people always use that wet dishrag of an argument to try to put a damper on Christmas? It would probably irk you to know it doesn't phase us. Our faith isn't going to crumble just b'c Christmas is set on a date that coincides with paganism. And the date coinciding with pagan beliefs doesn't change the true meaning of Christmas. It doesn't change the meaning for those who celebrate it as it was intended. Nice try but when are you going to get it?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:56 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
The true meaning is to be good all year just to get presents and if you are not then lucifer will unleash his wrath on thee!

Merry Christmas mother fu*****!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, look back at CPG's post - he named some good examples for you
I don't go by the example of the sanctimonous brigade who tick the list of what the "perfect" family does at christmas because it's the thing to do and it looks good. Sure it goes a long way to help, but then they go back to their "Ozzie and Harriet" way of life until the next Christmas, when they roll out the kids and make their next trip down to the soup kitchen or Salvation army.

How many of you here have taken the time out to sit on a park bench with a homeless person, even a crack addicted prostitute and just talked. You know really talk. Talk enough to find out that the crack addicted prostitute had aspirations at one time, even went to college. Has an ex husband, some where with their kid she hasn't seen in years.

I'm not going to be serving up food or working in a shelter this year, but I've done it in the past. I am a fosterer for an animal shelter and have been one both in the USA and UK which means I constantly have the odd dog or two in my home until they are adopted. I adopted one of them since I've been back. Giving is a year round thing and I don't do it because Hallmark or some sanctimonius church tells me it's what I should do. I've done it since I was a little girl because I spent some of my formative years in third world countries where we were surrounded by abject poverty and was lucky to have the most generous loving mother who gave and gave and reminded us how luck were where.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,660 times
Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
. You really have nothing to offer, do you?
Oh I have a lot to offer--if you have the wisdom to ask the right questions.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I don't go by the example of the sanctimonous brigade who tick the list of what the "perfect" family does at christmas because it's the thing to do and it looks good. Sure it goes a long way to help, but then they go back to their "Ozzie and Harriet" way of life until the next Christmas, when they roll out the kids and make their next trip down to the soup kitchen or Salvation army.

How many of you here have taken the time out to sit on a park bench with a homeless person, even a crack addicted prostitute and just talked. You know really talk. Talk enough to find out that the crack addicted prostitute had aspirations at one time, even went to college. Has an ex husband, some where with their kid she hasn't seen in years.

I'm not going to be serving up food or working in a shelter this year, but I've done it in the past. I am a fosterer for an animal shelter and have been one both in the USA and UK which means I constantly have the odd dog or two in my home until they are adopted. I adopted one of them since I've been back. Giving is a year round thing and I don't do it because Hallmark or some sanctimonius church tells me it's what I should do. I've done it since I was a little girl because I spent some of my formative years in third world countries where we were surrounded by abject poverty and was lucky to have the most generous loving mother who gave and gave and reminded us how luck were where.
He only listed what his family does because YOU ASKED. I didn't list what my family does because I knew you'd turn around and write exactly what you wrote above and so I would be wasting my time.

Christians are not perfect people, we know we are sinners and we aren't claiming to be any better than someone who is not a Christian. HOW DO YOU KNOW CPG DOESN'T LIVE THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS ALL YEAR LONG??? Many of us do you know. So your accusations are just rude and uncalled for. Too bad you didn't really start this thread with the intention of actually having some meaningful discussion. I really do feel sorry for you.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,313,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I'm fully aware of the subject. Personally, I think Christmas probably fell in Summertime, when the shepherds actually tended flocks in the hills, as opposed to winter, when shepherds tended flocks down in the lowlands. Do you actually have a point besides the one that is atop your head, you pretentious little git?
This thread started off asking about how people celebrate Christmas. And then--true to form--the Christians came on with their ignorant bluster and mind numbing arrogance stating that everyone who doesn't acknowledge "Jesus as the reason for the season" is wrong and therefore worthy of contempt. I just simply challenged their position. And what I received as replies were post like yours.

You have nothing to offer, because you have no idea what you're talking about. And when presented with evidence that shows your position to be exceptionally uninformed, you engage in silly ad hominem attacks.

So I'll ask you again: What is your disagreement with that YouTube video I posted?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Funny but I watched "A Fish called Wanda" again over the weekend....

Now everytime I see this posters name "Nietzschean Gangsta" I'm reminded of Kevin Kline.

As you were people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships