Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,545 times

Advertisements

I have had pregnant friends... close friends and I would always ask them if it was ok if I touched their tummy...
I would never dream of touching a random strangers tummy...male or female

Old 12-16-2008, 02:18 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,891 times
asking permission is ok, but I think some strangers just oblige to be nice. They may not really like it. If they openly say "feel! he's kicking!" or something to that effect, then it's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
I have had pregnant friends... close friends and I would always ask them if it was ok if I touched their tummy...

Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Mrs. CPG always faced strange men wanting to touch her pregnant tummy. Grocery stores, the office, wherever. It was like she was some fertility symbol or something.

She finally learned to recognize the dreamy look men got when they began to reach out and touch her stomach. "Touch me and die," was all she said.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,283 times
My family growing up was very huggy kissy. I raised my children the same way. I also think it is great when men can show their feelings, with hugs. It seems like for years were not supposed to show their feeling openly. I enjoy seeing men give each other a hug.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
When my wife was pregnant with twins, people kept running up to her and touching or petting her belly. Too many of them did not ask. Sometimes they would stand there and discuss her as if she was not even there. Several people would come up and touch her and bless the babies. Nice gesture, but ask permission first.

She did look unusual becuase she is tiny and carried them all in the front, but the way people treated her was appalling. I am sorry to admit that I was not always polite about telling such people to bugger off. One lady was so demeaning that she made my wife cry in the groscery store. I was so mad that I flipped her cart over. I am a bit embarrassed about that (my wife still does nto know about it I did it after she went out ot the car). Still I think that she deserved it.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,842 times
I was with my sis when she was beginning her 3rd trimester and we were in the grocery store and this total stranger (some lady who old looked to be about 90) comes up and just put her hand on my sis' belly and the old lady got really mad when my sis politely asked her to leave. "Well, if you didn't want us touching you, why did you get pregnant?" was the lady's response! Finally after my nephew kicked a couple of times she moved on, but she was determined to feel him kick.

I understand that it is a new life and all, but why do people think that if a woman is pregnant the "hands-off" rule is suspended?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:28 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,891 times
well, you were defending your wife. which is an admiral thing to do. As long as the shopping cart lady didn't get hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When my wife was pregnant with twins, people kept running up to her and touching or petting her belly. Too many of them did not ask. Sometimes they would stand there and discuss her as if she was not even there. Several people would come up and touch her and bless the babies. Nice gesture, but ask permission first.

She did look unusual becuase she is tiny and carried them all in the front, but the way people treated her was appalling. I am sorry to admit that I was not always polite about telling such people to bugger off. One lady was so demeaning that she made my wife cry in the groscery store. I was so mad that I flipped her cart over. I am a bit embarrassed about that (my wife still does nto know about it I did it after she went out ot the car). Still I think that she deserved it.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,247,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Mrs. CPG always faced strange men wanting to touch her pregnant tummy. Grocery stores, the office, wherever. It was like she was some fertility symbol or something.

She finally learned to recognize the dreamy look men got when they began to reach out and touch her stomach. "Touch me and die," was all she said.
UGH!! That always drove me crazy!! I was at the grocery once and a woman came up to me and just started rubbing my stomach! Then she said "Your stomach is getting so big" and I replied "My breasts are too, but please tell me you are not going to rub them!"

People need boundaries!!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,637 times
I hate feet... touching them or having mine touched. Ick.

I also can't stand someone touching the front of my neck - I guess it makes me feel like I'm getting ready to be strangled. I don't even wear turtlenecks for that matter.

I'm not the touchy-feely type, and I'm pretty good at putting that vibe out there. But I once had a co-worker who would come up behind me in my cubicle and start massaging my shoulders and neck. It made me want to crawl out of my skin. Especially since I had only been working there a week or two when that started.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
well, you were defending your wife. which is an admiral thing to do. As long as the shopping cart lady didn't get hurt!
No only some of the groceries. Still it was pretty childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships