Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I told my kids the truth when they asked. In fact, with my oldest, it was presented as fantasy from the beginning. My youngest believed until she was about 7 or 8 at which point she decided that IF santa were real, he would have given her and her sister coal by then
Bahahahahaha. Sounds like my childhood.

Why not share the story. Also the stories and imagination. Imagination is a great thing to cultivate in a young mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:37 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times
No. Heck, I'm 43 and still believe in Santa Claus. You have to have some kind of fun in life!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Sadly (depending on how you see it) fewer kids will probably have that fantasy about Santa these days...kinds are more cynical and worldly these days. I myself never remember fully believing in Santa; I think I half-believed in Santa like I did in fairies and stuff till I was 8 or 9 because I couldn't fully distinguish reality from fantasy (it's amazing when you look back). I still knew, deep down, it wasn't true. I think I figured it was impossible to deliver presents to billions of children in one night on a sleigh pulled by reindeer! lol

Personally, though, I wouldn't tell my kids about Santa as if he was true. How many parents tell their kids the earth is flat?

But more importantly, I don't want some fat old man taking the credit for making my kid's Christmas wishes come true, lol.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Or just let them live the fantasy. My son is 8 and he figured it out at the age of 4.
I miss seeing Mr. Cat around here like he used to be. Sure hope he's well and enjoying life wherever he's purring these days

Old 12-18-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I think children should be allowed to be children for as long as they can. Like I have been telling my kids "you are only a kid for 18 years and if you are lucky you will be an adult for a good 70+ years, so don't be in such a hurry to grow up, you'll be a grown up a lot longer than you'll be a kid."

So do I care that my 12 year old still believes in Santa? (I think she may have figured out that there is no Santa, but is still wanting to hold on to her childhood) The answer is NO!!! I see her as someone who is enjoying every aspect of being a child for as long as she can. I see her as someone who wants to hold on to the magic and believe that there is some good in this world. For if she sees good for as long as she can while she is a child, she will hopefully spread the good as an adult.

I think when the magic is lost at early ages it makes them more likely to be cynical as they age.
No offence, but how a 12 year old can still believe in Santa is beyond me.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
My parents "lied" to me about Santa and I'm not scarred by it. One day I just stopped believing and that was that. It was fun keeping the secret a little longer for my little brother's sake. I once had him convinced the Easter Bunny ran our dishwasher. LOL

Santa is fun and magical. Christmas Eve was the best time of the year, with the excitement and anticipation, leaving cookies and carrots out and listening for sleigh bells. It's still with me today and why I love Christmas so much. What's wrong with that? What's wrong with letting kids be kids and believe in magic for a little while? They have the rest of their lives to face this jacked up world we live in.

Oh, and the people so up in arms about lying to kids should get over themselves. My mom once told my brother that my sister was allergic to strawberry twinkies, because she didn't want to hear him whine and beg. When he was bad, she threatened to call the "store man." I'm not a parent, but I realize that sometimes you just do what you've gotta do!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 AM

I've yet to meet a parent who truly never lies to their kids. And knowing how kids can be, I totally understand why.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
My kids believed in Santa and when kids on the school bus told them there was no Santa, They asked me and I told them that as long as you believe there will be a Santa. They were satisfied and while I am sure they did not believe after that they liked the idea of Santa leaving presents for them.

I am hoping that Santa finds my house this year. LOL

Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
No we never had it growing up so i wouldn't. Then again i most likely will not have kids so that's telling you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships