Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, there's always some pious know-it-all who thinks telling kids about Santa is tantamount to child abuse. These are typically very unhappy, friendless people who cannot abide any fun at all in other people, and they live to ruin other people's fun in the pursuit of "truth," or whatever they perceive it to be. As if sharing a harmless little legend will mentally scar the child for life upon the discovery that it's not so. To people like that, I offer that they should get a life.

Now, all that being said, my nine-year-old daughter came to me a few holidays ago, looked me straight in the eye, and said, "There's no Santa Claus, right?" To which I shook my head and said, "No, sweetie, there isn't. It's just a pleasant story." She nodded her head sagely, said, "Cool," and moved on. No trauma, no scarring, no latent resentment. Same thing for my older son. My youngest is nine, and he is dubious, but he's still pretending to believe. I'm fairly sure he'll shake it off by the time next Christmas rolls around. After all, a ten- or eleven-year-old who still believes in Santa is bordering on mental retardation.
I was five when my playmate told me there was no Santa. I went directly to my mom and asked. She said "Do you want the truth?" I said "Yes" and she gave it to me straight. I immediately told my friend that there was no Easter Bunny. He was devistated....I think I felt a bit superior to him after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:15 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I think anyone who thinks it's wrong to let them have their little childhood magic just forgot what it's like to be young. Never forget, that's when you become old.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:15 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I was five when my playmate told me there was no Santa. I went directly to my mom and asked. She said "Do you want the truth?" I said "Yes" and she gave it to me straight. I immediately told my friend that there was no Easter Bunny. He was devistated....I think I felt a bit superior to him after that.
Exactly. If the child asks for the truth, you give it to him. At the same time, as I cautioned both my daughter and son, if you spoil the fun for some other child, then woe be unto you if I find out.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I think anyone who thinks it's wrong to let them have their little childhood magic just forgot what it's like to be young. Never forget, that's when you become old.
I'll have to agree. Why have our kids grow up so fast?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
From the beginning, teach them that Santa is an attitude, a spirit, and a shared feeling amongst community members. That way they can always believe in Santa and will still enjoy and get excited at seeing the jolly man at the mall.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
From the beginning, teach them that Santa is an attitude, a spirit, and a shared feeling amongst community members. That way they can always believe in Santa and will still enjoy and get excited at seeing the jolly man at the mall.
It's a nice sentiment, but you're asking a two- or four-year-old to absorb a really, really abstract concept. Even the brightest of children at that age are very concrete thinkers and aren't going to get that. Now, that being said, a supersonic Elf handing out free swag is a concept every child can grasp.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
IMany felt that lying to a child in this way was horrible. I am one who believes that kids see too much "reality" too soon in life.
Absolutely. Some folks have this notion that kids should be presented with every piece of reality, as soon as possible. Dolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, there's always some pious know-it-all who thinks telling kids about Santa is tantamount to child abuse. These are typically very unhappy, friendless people who cannot abide any fun at all in other people, and they live to ruin other people's fun in the pursuit of "truth," or whatever they perceive it to be. As if sharing a harmless little legend will mentally scar the child for life upon the discovery that it's not so. To people like that, I offer that they should get a life.
Totally agree. Sometimes I wonder if this is because of their own unhappy childhood.

Quote:
No. Childhood fantasy is a wonderful thing, especially one as joyful and fun as the big guy in red. My son loved the whole Santa thing...cookies, and reindeer food...it was a wonderful part of his childhood. When he matured, he figured it out just fine on his own, with absolutely no trauma. Imagine that.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,846 times
Quote:

Ahhhhh ha! The guy who went to see Baby Genius's 3 and liked it! I knew he existed! People kept saying he wasn't real, but I had faith!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 AM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,972 times
My sis and I always suspected that Mom and Dad were Santa (as were Grandma and Grandpa when we would get to see them). My lil bro lived with the fantasy longer.

I have a nephew who will be 4 on the 29th and when I was visiting my sis and nephew for Thanksgiving we were out to dinner a couple nights before and one of her friends happened to say that "Santa's dead". The comment in context was kinda funny, except that my nephew had just come up to the table (he had been playing Pac-Man or something with his Dad who was dropping him off with Sis and I)! The poor kid, he started crying and then wanted to know if it was true, because he was already planning on making cookies for the guy!!

So, I told him "No honey he is still alive and well. Mommy's friend was just kidding."

I think he believed me!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
I think children should be allowed to be children for as long as they can. Like I have been telling my kids "you are only a kid for 18 years and if you are lucky you will be an adult for a good 70+ years, so don't be in such a hurry to grow up, you'll be a grown up a lot longer than you'll be a kid."

So do I care that my 12 year old still believes in Santa? (I think she may have figured out that there is no Santa, but is still wanting to hold on to her childhood) The answer is NO!!! I see her as someone who is enjoying every aspect of being a child for as long as she can. I see her as someone who wants to hold on to the magic and believe that there is some good in this world. For if she sees good for as long as she can while she is a child, she will hopefully spread the good as an adult.

I think when the magic is lost at early ages it makes them more likely to be cynical as they age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships