Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM

648 posts, read 1,641,539 times

Advertisements

How do you know it is the right time to tell someone that you love them? Just wondering because I don't want him to think that I am trying to make him feel something he is just not ready to feel. You know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
If you have to ask..Its not the time

Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 PM

648 posts, read 1,641,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
If you have to ask..Its not the time
Yeah, I guess your right. I'm just new to this relationship thing. I was married for 6 years and now I'm not so clearly I was doing something wrong... Just really like this guy and don't want to mess it up. That's why I was asking. But thanks.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
You know what? There comes a point where you just have to put yourself out there. Just make sure it isn't within the first three weeks of knowing the guy, or you'll come off looking like a loon.

Simply say, "Okay. I'm going to say this. I don't know how this is going to come across, but I want to let you know how I feel about things. You don't need to feel obligated to tell me how you feel right away, but I think you should know what's going on with me." Then you tell him.

Yeah, some more cynical posters or the gameplayers might be horrorstruck by the above paragraph. But I just believe it's more important to speak from the heart. If he feels that way about you, he'll tell you. If he's interested in you in a more long-term way, he'll keep pursuing the relationship. If he bolts like a scalded dog, then you have your answer, too. But nothing, and I mean nothing, is worse than just pining away and playing the guessing game with somebody whom you feel is the right person for you. When you love somebody, you really want to get on with it, rather than sit in some limbo for ever and ever. In that sense, bravery is the best course you can take.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
Yeah, I guess your right. I'm just new to this relationship thing. I was married for 6 years and now I'm not so clearly I was doing something wrong... Just really like this guy and don't want to mess it up. That's why I was asking. But thanks.
If it was meant to be, you cant mess it up. I don't know your situation personally but just because your marriage failed doesn't mean its 100% your fault most of the time. There are two people in a relationship ya know!

Personally I always liked to know people long enough to find something I hate about them. If I can't find that, I really don't know them as a whole person. SO after you find those annoying things about him and STILL like him. I would say then..whenever that is.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,088 times
IMO, the woman should never be the first one to say it. It just freaks men out. I'm all for putting yourself out there but let him say it first. If you want him to know, show him with your actions.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,972 times
I agree that the guy should be the first person to say it.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
How do you know it is the right time to tell someone that you love them? Just wondering because I don't want him to think that I am trying to make him feel something he is just not ready to feel. You know what I mean?
How long have you been dating him? From what I've seen, it's the women that usually feel that they are in love first during the relationship. I think that as long as he is affection towards you and showing you respect and consideration, don't rush into telling him that you love him. I feel that actions speak louder than words, plus I prefer having the man say the L word first. It just means so much more. In addition, I prefer having the man bring up the topic of marriage too. I see way too many couples out there where the woman is champing at the bit to get married, and her boyfriend is just not ready to. And that just makes the woman look desperate.

If you say the L word first, don't you only want to say it as long as you know that he's feeling love for you too? And if he's not in love with you yet, he's going to feel terrible that he doesn't. He may even lie and say the L word back to you to be nice and not hurt your feelings. If you have to say it, tell it to a picture of him, but not to his face.

Be patient, trust your instincts about him and let your man take the lead on this.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:50 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyPoohFan317 View Post
I agree that the guy should be the first person to say it.
WTF??? Why in the world should one gender be the one who should say it first?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
WTF??? Why in the world should one gender be the one who should say it first?
'cause you're more used to rejection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships