Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 31,881 times

Advertisements

I need some serious opinions! I have been with my fiance for almost four years now. I love him more than anything, and would LOVE to spend the rest of my life with him. We've been through many ups and downs, and I know he'd be a great man to be with forever. He's been my strength at my weakest times, and has helped me grow into a woman i've always wanted to be.
Problem is..the ex. We've been friends for almost ten years. He's one of those people that life just keeps bringing back to you. We'll fall out of touch or fight about something and stop speaking for a while, but then, fate just seems to bring us back together. I honestly at this point, would love to be with him, and I really believe he is my soul mate.
This is the part where it gets hard(er!)
Now, I'm a recent college grad, with the debt to go with it. My fiance is starting law school. It would behoove me financially to stay with him. Please keep in mind I love him, and want to be with him. We've been together before law school ideas, so its not why I'm with him.

I've always been one to follow my heart, but I feel like its a no win situation. Do i settle for a man i can live with and have financial security and happiness? Or do i forfeit security and go for it with someone i know will satisfy my every need?

In short...in similar or comparable circumstances, do you vote love or security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 01:03 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwouldyoudo View Post
I need some serious opinions! I have been with my fiance for almost four years now. I love him more than anything, and would LOVE to spend the rest of my life with him. We've been through many ups and downs, and I know he'd be a great man to be with forever. He's been my strength at my weakest times, and has helped me grow into a woman i've always wanted to be.
Problem is..the ex. We've been friends for almost ten years. He's one of those people that life just keeps bringing back to you. We'll fall out of touch or fight about something and stop speaking for a while, but then, fate just seems to bring us back together. I honestly at this point, would love to be with him, and I really believe he is my soul mate.
Now, I'm a recent college grad, with the debt to go with it. My fiance is starting law school. It would behoove me financially to stay with him. Please keep in mind I love him, and want to be with him. We've been together before law school ideas, so its not why I'm with him.

I've always been one to follow my heart, but I feel like its a no win situation. Do i settle for a man i can live with and have financial security and happiness? Or do i forfeit security and go for it with someone i know will satisfy my every need?

In short...in similar or comparable circumstances, do you vote love or security?
Really, you love him? Because I thought he was the "or security" guy. But it was nice of you to throw that in after making it very clear you are with him because of the money.

My advice to you is to go with the guy "fate" keeps bringing back into your life, the guy you really love. Let your fiance find someone worthy to spend the rest of his life with.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:08 PM

Trust me, there is no money now, nor was there the past 4 years we've been together. Its 5 years down the line I'm talking about. But I guess I didn't make that very clear. And I wasn't asking for you to determine my worth, just an opinion of what you would do.

Like I said, I do love him, and he's a great guy. If he stayed at his job now and made the same money, I'd still say he's a great guy. Haven't you ever just been stuck between two really great guys? I guess its just hard for some to grasp.

If you don't understand, save the bashing please.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:13 PM

607 posts, read 1,333,758 times
How do you know the ex will satisfy your every need? Is he reliable to stick with you for the long term? Or would you be satisfied with him in and out of your life forever? Just some thoughts...

Old 12-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar311 View Post
How do you know the ex will satisfy your every need? Is he reliable to stick with you for the long term? Or would you be satisfied with him in and out of your life forever? Just some thoughts...
He is reliable to stick with me, we've had this talk many, many times. I know he's capable of satisfying my needs because he already does as a friend...and has as a previous lover.

I don't know how i'd feel about him coming in and out of my life. Its hard, I used to think if he just went away, it might be easier. It might.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times
Why did you and your ex break up? Seems to me, he must be an ex for a reason. I wouldn't throw away love for someone who might just not be there for you during those ups and downs you mentioned.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:27 PM

We were in high school...i went away one weekend on a church retreat, came back, and he went back to his ex. Ironic, huh?

But HS was a long time ago, and we both know what a mistake it was. But now other people are involved.

And as for the ex being supportive during those downs, you're right. i don't know. i just think i know.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwouldyoudo View Post

I do not see the problem. Marry the fiancé. Do the X for fun when he "pops in".

Old 12-25-2008, 01:36 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
It seems you just want to be with your ex and your bf is just a "security blanket", and he probably doesn't deserve that. Too much doubts when you are supposed to be in love.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:37 PM

188 posts, read 474,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do not see the problem. Marry the fiancé. Do the X for fun when he "pops in".
I think that's exactly what will happen if she marries the fiance. I think that she should back away from both of them and figure out what it is that she really wants, and then go for that. The way she is going now someone or all of the individuals involved are going to get hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships