U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,545,005 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm about to complete my undergraduate career & go for my M.A.T. (Master of Arts in Teaching). I have four graduate school options that are limited to these cities:

Austin, TX
Chapel Hill, NC
Boston, MA
Providence, RI

This is a little off the wayside but which city do you think has the best options for a single, open-minded black woman who is 21, single & ready to mingle? I have spent four years in a small college town in Texas & I am ready to venture out. Thanks for your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 01:25 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,899,225 times
If I were you, I would pick Austin. Austin is a fun, great city.

Boston is good, a great second choice, but I still pick Austin over it.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks JeepGirl118! My soon-to-be alma mater is about an hr & a half away from Austin, I've been there a few times but the graduate program that I applied to there is supposed to be excellent!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,899,225 times
The guys are pretty hot looking in Austin too.

But if you are interested in REALLY only studying, pick RI.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 PM

^^^haha, even better! Keep 'em comin' y'all!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:33 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,020,625 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. The info I have is all second hand, so take it for what its worth, but here goes.

If you are looking for a "traditional" big-city/urban type atmosphere, I'd vote for Boston. Its a big eastern city, with lots of opportunities in terms of bars, clubs, culture, and historical stuff. And its population of course runs the gamut, with plenty of young professionals, students, and others in your age group.

Austin, TX is also highly rated for young people. It is (I think) a smaller city though, with probably a BIT more of a "student town" feel than a big city like Boston. Lots of people love it though.

Providence I know less about - but I'd think it is somewhat Bostonish on a smaller scale.

And Chapel Hill, while a nice college town, does not in my mind have the variety of the others. Of course, you are near Raleigh-Durham, which is a major metro area. But in my mind, the area is not as attractive as the others on the list. Its more of a typical "southern suburban city" - which is fine - and there's lots of gorgeous areas nearby - but as a young professional I'd gravitate to somewhere more urban.

Of course the other issue is climate. Boston and Providence will have 4 distinct seasons, with cold, relatively snowy winters, and pretty nice, occasionally hot summers. Austin is much warmer, with mild winters, and long fairly hot summers.

Overall, as a young professional, from that list, I'd pick Boston. I like the urban style, the history, and the climate.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM

3,916 posts, read 7,178,660 times
I would suggest in the following order:

1) Austin
2) Boston
3) Chapel Hill
4) Providence

Austin is a great city, just like the other poster said. Probably the best choice for diversity, friendliness, cultural attractions, cost of living. (my #1 pick!)

Boston definately bigger, a great city, but expensive and not as racially tolerant. Wonderful schools/education environment.

Chapel Hill a small, quaint college town, which can get boring, but lots of young people ready to mingle right along with you!

Providence, a beautiful city, expensive, not as racially tolerant/diverse. Close to Boston, however.

I've spent time in all these cities and these are just my opinions and observations as a black woman myself.
Good luck and congrats!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanks again for the replies everyone! I know that eventually I will have to make a decision, I have one semester off to make the final decision(s). I was born in Oklahoma & raised in Texas so I have a small desire to leave TX but because of the current state of the economy, I'm somewhat hesitant. One reason why I came here to get a second opinion about the singles scenes in these cities.

A bit about myself:
-majored in English & Professional Writing, wanting to teach at the Secondary level
-not a HUGE partier, not big into drinking but I LOVE to dance!
-personality: somewhat traditional with a modern twist, very friendly, animal lover, love traveling, hanging out w/ friends & family & I love to volunteer!
-always wanted to venture out of TX eventually (born in Oklahoma, raised in Texas)
-finances are not a HUGE issue for me
-not EXTREMELY picky about dating (ie-as long as they have a university education & goals, open to dating men of diff. backgrounds, etc.)

Old 12-26-2008, 01:47 PM

168 posts, read 751,417 times
Austin, definitely. Have fun!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:52 PM

3,916 posts, read 7,178,660 times
well, any of these cities would have those things and are pretty lively for singles. I think Providence may be the only one that may fall a little short only because it's pretty small. Providence and Boston will be the 2 most expensive places, with Chapel Hill then Austin rounding out your list.
From what you describe yourself as and looking for, my vote is Austin #1, then Boston #2. I am in Boston now for work, and there's never a shortage of things to do, plus Providence is less than an hour and a half away. I think you'd have more dating options in Austin and CHapel Hill, IMO-these 2 cities are more racially diverse/tolerant.
Boston is bigger, more expensive, more to do.
Don't know if you've been to Austin but a joke I heard a while ago is: "the only thing wrong with Austin is that it's in Texas"! so, not to bust on TX, it's a joke I heard.
Have you tried the other boards to each of your city choices and ask them? you could write your preferences to each city's thread and get direct feedback from them, might be a good idea to try that, also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Thanks again for the replies everyone! I know that eventually I will have to make a decision, I have one semester off to make the final decision(s). I was born in Oklahoma & raised in Texas so I have a small desire to leave TX but because of the current state of the economy, I'm somewhat hesitant. One reason why I came here to get a second opinion about the singles scenes in these cities.

A bit about myself:
-majored in English & Professional Writing, wanting to teach at the Secondary level
-not a HUGE partier, not big into drinking but I LOVE to dance!
-personality: somewhat traditional with a modern twist, very friendly, animal lover, love traveling, hanging out w/ friends & family & I love to volunteer!
-always wanted to venture out of TX eventually (born in Oklahoma, raised in Texas)
-finances are not a HUGE issue for me
-not EXTREMELY picky about dating (ie-as long as they have a university education & goals, open to dating men of diff. backgrounds, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships