Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,219,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Nope, I'm not offended. Like I said, it's not my duty to prove otherwise

But I see why you're offended. The guilty speak first. guess my theory is true, lmao
Those that are offended are usually ones that insult entire groups of people based on their own insecurities. Maybe those people have difficulty getting men in general. Maybe they had bad experiences with military men, who are likely out of their league.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 AM

877 posts, read 1,315,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Those that are offended are usually ones that insult entire groups of people based on their own insecurities. Maybe those people have difficulty getting men in general. Maybe they had bad experiences with military men, who are likely out of their league.
Nope, would never settle for a military men. I want a man who has lived the same standard of living as I have, including socioeconomic status.

And I have a boyfriend, thanks. Ooooh, and we're an interracial couple

But the military guys settling for women they can't hold conversations with sure do struggle to pull American women. I guess that's what happens when you have to go for your second choice, huh?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,414,963 times
Quote:
Attacking specific groups of people.

What's it to you?
Specific groups of people? The military isn't a race, ethic group, religion, gender, nationality, of any specific sexual orientation, or anything else besides a military.

It's like saying democrats suck. What are you going to do about it?

If you're going to report her for breaking the TOS, you'll have to do better than that.

What's it to me? You're attacking someone regarding their personal beliefs. Perhaps I should report you?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,604,221 times
In my experience, guys who travel overseas specifically to find a wife typically end up in bad marriages.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 AM

128 posts, read 203,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
In my experience, guys who travel overseas specifically to find a wife typically end up in bad marriages.
According to this report from Center for Immigration Studies, marriages with mail-order brides have an 80 percent success rate.

"Again, based largely on data supplied by the agencies themselves (along with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas report), marriages arranged through the mail-order services would appear to have a lower divorce rate than the nation as a whole, fully 80 percent of these marriages having lasted over the years for which reports are available."

How Many Mail-Order Brides? | Center for Immigration Studies

That's interesting and ironic if marriages through mail-order bride services actually have less than half the divorce rate of the typical American marriage. The study specifically said mail-order brides, not American military men or others going overseas to bring home a wife or move abroad for starting a family.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,604,221 times
I don't believe it. I have never seen a successful mail-order bride relationship. From other sources, sure (military, expats, business travellers, etc) but not guys who go for mail order brides.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 AM

6,378 posts, read 6,266,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
Eastern European women are actually some of the most intellectual and cultured women in the world, moreso than Western European women. It's one of the few parts of the world where you can talk with a beautiful woman about philosophy, classical music, history, culture, languages, literature, etc.

American women can be very beautiful and sweet, but I would never bring up any of the above topics with one because that would be the instant death of our relationship and possibly friendship. Even if you meet an attractive English major, you're better off talking about the Jersey Shore cast, Ke$ha, the latest Fast and Furious movie, or whatever other annoying pop culture is out there.
This may be true to some extent. But I think this applies mostly to western "girls" not "women." (Defined by age and or maturity.)

As an attractive western female, i rarely find guys wanting to discuss what you mention. Most who approach me would rather talk about sports or politics. It's a bummer actually.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:56 AM

6,378 posts, read 6,266,389 times
Quote:
Rejects get what they can buy

Guys in the military aren't winners, so the foreign girls can have them

It's a control issue for the guys. They like women who are easy to manipulate and control, especially if she'll play deaf, dumb and stupid.

I come into contact with the military guys who marry foreign women and the way they treat them is beyond disrespectful
Quote:
You do realize that these men that "aren't winners" have allowed your freedom over the years, right?

Sounds like you don't know your place.
Both of you need to chillax. I have many military in my family as well and have known many more. They are NOT all winners and NOT all losers. Depends on a lot of factors just like real life.

But umm... "know your place." Not cool dude. Military members are in general no better than anyone else. Police, teachers, etc are also a great benefit to society.

Unless you meant the place of women in general. If so, that quickly moves you to the "loser" side of things.

Actually, either way, very uncool. Know YOUR place, which is NOT putting others in their place. (At least not on any message board that you don't moderate.)

Old 10-28-2014, 04:45 AM

39,175 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:

Guys in the military aren't winners,
Quote:
uh, it's a fact that my father, grandfathers, BIL and nephew are in the military. try again boo
Quote:
Nope, would never settle for a military men. I want a man who has lived the same standard of living as I have, including socioeconomic status.

And I have a boyfriend, thanks. Ooooh, and we're an interracial couple
First of all, Just because you have an interracial relationship, doesn't make everything you posted here less offensive.

Secondly, it looks like you don't think very highly of your father, grandfathers, BIL and nephew. That doesn't mean ALL military men are not winners.

Have you thought about when do generalizations move into stereotypes? Stereotypes are overgeneralizations; they often involve assuming a person has certain characteristics based on unfounded assumptions.

We stereotype people based on what we assume about particular categories of identity and what other characteristics are associated with those categories. It is sad that there are still people today assume that those look "homosexual" are sexual predators as if there is a specific "homosexual" look. Some people still assume all women are gold diggers and all men are violent; Some still assume women or men date outside their race must have weird fetishes.

These are not generalizations, they are stereotypes. They are assumptions based on unfounded ideas about these groups, not identifying particular characteristics of a group of people. They signify a gap or lack in understanding. We typically stereotype those whom we do not understand or about whom we have no knowledge.

As we move through life, if we see one individual who seems to fit the stereotype, it reinforces those ideas, while we tend to ignore others in that same group who do not fit that stereotype, as well as others in different groups that do fit that stereotype. We assume, usually because we don’t know many people like them, that they are all strangers and that they are the “them” to our “us”.

These stereotypes can easily lead to prejudice and result in some forms of discrimination. While generalizing helps us navigate our lives, stereotyping puts us in a dangerous place in which societal members are limited from their true potential and face barriers to contributing their talents and assets to the societal mix.

Having said all that, I personally do not understand the concept of "mail order bride". Just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean people who use mail order bride to find love should be looked down upon.

EVERY human being (well almost EVERY) has right to look for love. They may look for love in all the wrong places, it is NOT your place to judge.

You perhaps heard about what others say about "opinion", well, opinion is like, %$#&, everyone has one. But opinion may or may not be truth. If you don't want to "settle for a military man", don't. You really don't need to make a public announcement in order to insult a large group of people. Doing so only makes you look a bit weird. If you want to give an advice to help somebody, remember that you can only make a suggestion, people have the right to take it or not. You don't have to be a holly judge Judy impersonator in order to get your point across. At the end of the day, humans relate to each other through respect, mutual understanding, not through insults.

Last but not least. You say you have an interracial relationship. I am a product of an interracial relationship. I have people told me, "I don't want to date outside my race, because I don't want an interracial baby. I want my future child to have my skin color." Then they realized that they have a big Oops moment because they are talking to a woman (me) who is an interracial child.

Although I grew some thick skin because I kind of have to. Hearing "I don't want an interracial child" still hurts because at the end of the day, I would like to assume we all at least deserve to be treated as an equal human being. Nobody is a substandard human being. no?

Just my .02.

p.s. When I was an arrogant teenager, I made a very childish, offensive remark behind closed doors. I told my brother (A Marine by the way) "I will never date a short guy eeeewwww.." My brother said, "What makes you think the short guy wants to date you with that nasty little attitude of yours young lady?" Lesson learned in a hard way. When you judge others, others are judging you as well.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-28-2014 at 05:06 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 05:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
According to this report from Center for Immigration Studies, marriages with mail-order brides have an 80 percent success rate.

"Again, based largely on data supplied by the agencies themselves (along with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas report), marriages arranged through the mail-order services would appear to have a lower divorce rate than the nation as a whole, fully 80 percent of these marriages having lasted over the years for which reports are available."

How Many Mail-Order Brides? | Center for Immigration Studies

That's interesting and ironic if marriages through mail-order bride services actually have less than half the divorce rate of the typical American marriage. The study specifically said mail-order brides, not American military men or others going overseas to bring home a wife or move abroad for starting a family.
In the thread asking whether there are any happily married men in their 40s, long-lasting marriages were disregarded because apparently most of the married people are miserable and financially trapped. I suppose if that's true it could be even more so for women who come here with no family or friends or even the ability to speak English. Where are they going to go?

There is a difference between meeting someone while overseas and going to www.filipinavirgins.com to pick out your new housemaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.