Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Big age differences are typical of such arrangements.

That doesn't really answer my question. Upon arrival in the States she became a secretary and started making more money than he did in his established business? That's some secretary. Again, I don't understand why someone with that skill set could not simply take advantage of H1B or L1 and avoid the danger and humiliation involved in mail-order marriage arrangements.
Do you actually read people's posts? Go back and read my posts, you got the facts wrong for the second time. She was not a secretary upon arriving in the states, I clearly stated that, twice in fact, just for you. She has a degree and got a job in accounting here.

And also just to clarify, you made some statement yesterday about mail-order brides in their underwear on the internet, but since this was 12+ years ago, they didn't go through the internet. She placed a classified ad in the newspaper.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Do you actually read people's posts? Go back and read my posts, you got the facts wrong for the second time. She was not a secretary upon arriving in the states, I clearly stated that, twice in fact, just for you. She has a degree and got a job in accounting here.
Oh, I did read what you wrote. To retrace: First you stated that she got a "good corporate job" where she made more than the husband -- which prompted my question why she didn't just use a safer and easier route to come to the United States, such as getting an H1B visa (which is commonly how skilled professionals immigrate). You then stated that she was a secretary (i.e., not a skilled professional), then when I questioned what kind of secretary she was to have a starting salary greater than her husband's earnings, you stated she was in accounting. Which brings me back to my question -- if someone is such an accomplished accountant as to get a "good corporate job" immediately upon arrival in a different country, why didn't that person just go the usual route of simply getting a job in the United States, without the entanglements of an arranged marriage. You have no call to get snippy with me, it's you who keeps changing the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
And also just to clarify, you made some statement yesterday about mail-order brides in their underwear on the internet, but since this was 12+ years ago, they didn't go through the internet. She placed a classified ad in the newspaper.
Well, I don't know exactly what that particular woman offered, but it's common for mail-order brides (whether in paper catalogues or on the Internet) to post pictures of themselves in underwear (many brokers, in fact, require it).

Last edited by Redisca; 12-30-2008 at 05:47 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
Face it Redisca, you're bashing men
Face it Dean, you can't read.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 PM

486 posts, read 2,112,931 times
I can honestly say I didn't read all the posts, but I just have to tell you about my brother...

He comes back from serving in Iraq a few years ago. First thing he does is goes on the computer looking up Russian Brides. Gets on plane to Russia to meet a girl. He ran out of money in 2 weeks and the girl ran out on him. Left him with nothing.

He had no money to get back home. My brother was so taken advantage, so bad. He went to the US Embassy, they somehow helped him get back home to the US. He still continues to check out Russian Brides on line.....he will never learn that one.

Served his country well......but it did something to his brain!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Oh, I did read what you wrote. To retrace: First you stated that she got a "good corporate job" where she made more than the husband -- which prompted my question why she didn't just use a safer and easier route to come to the United States, such as getting an H1B visa (which is commonly how skilled professionals immigrate). You then stated that she was a secretary (i.e., not a skilled professional), then when I questioned what kind of secretary she was to have a starting salary greater than her husband's earnings, you stated she was in accounting. Which brings me back to my question -- if someone is such an accomplished accountant as to get a "good corporate job" immediately upon arrival in a different country, why didn't that person just go the usual route of simply getting a job in the United States, without the entanglements of an arranged marriage. You have no call to get snippy with me, it's you who keeps changing the story..
I have never changed the story. I said she was a secretary in the Phillipines, and then got a corporate job upon arrival in the U.S. When you then questioned her secretarial job in the U.S. I again explained that she got a job in accounting upon arrival, and it was a secretarial job in the Phillipines that she'd had. And I also explained that she had some kind of degree. And again, I don't know the specifics of why she chose the route she did--it's none of my business.

I really am sorry I can't be more simple than that, it's not complicated. Perhaps you are just spending too much time on your agenda here, and that's why you are confused. I'm not sure why you are nit-picking.

Actually come to think of it though, why do you say a secretarial job isn't a "skilled professional"? Nowadays they are called "Administrative Assistants", and they usually do have some kind of training.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM

283 posts, read 759,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Like most of those men are really looking for true love :0

The vast majority of men are looking for hot. And they are more than willing to pay for it. Read the paper, watch the news.
yeah i'm not saying anything against those guys. they're buying a service and everyone wins, right? i'm talking about the guys that actually believe these girls are going to be in love with them because they rescued them from a life of poverty, and then get heart broken when it doesn't happen. i've seen that happen and am just amazed by the silliness.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
It's reeeally interesting to me when I see a long list of posts by US women saying how bad and stupid US men are for exercising their option to choose a NON US woman. Men are so bad, naive, stupid for looking out of the US. SO many US women Put THE MEN DOWN FOR LOOKING ELSEWHERE.. SO MANY US WOMEN PUT THE MEN DOWN FOR LOOKING ELSEWHERE... I WONDER WHY??!!!
i'm a half Russian and half Australian woman. my post was not intended to bag out those men who look elsewhere to get brides, actually i think that the girls win hands down in those situations. what i am saying is that these men should not expect true love from these girls. some men are naive about the motives of women who agree to be married as long as they are taken into a wealthier country.
i understand the attractiveness of an exotic woman and the differences in culture and upbringing are exciting. for instance, i prefer not to date Russian or Australian men - too boring since I know them too well. just dont expect love, if you're paying for her to be with you.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So when he ditches the Asian wife to replace her with the Eastern European wife, does the Asian wife stay here or does she have to return home? If she stays here, who provides the financial support of her?
oh she has a visa now and a good job so i dont think she's in any need of support, she's just like everyone else here now.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM

525 posts, read 948,103 times
Quote:
Face it Dean, you can't read.

Right.. I can't read.. you win

Old 12-31-2008, 01:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Do men really think that they are going to find true love with a mail order bride?

Don't think men who mail order a woman are looking for true love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships