Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 PM

102 posts, read 255,488 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know how people get trust back into their relationship once it's lost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
To me, it's kind of like a glass vase. You can drop it and put it back together, but it will never be the same. Once, I've lost trust it's really hard to get it back, and it just doesn't work out.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Thats a tough one! I guess if you want it bad enough, all you can do is try, but the other person has to be willing to give you a reason.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:02 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
It would take time to build the trust again. And it depends on the circumstances that led up to the cheating, why he was attracted to her, how long the affair lasted and I would have to feel for certain that he wouldn't be tempted to stray again... ever.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:32 PM

102 posts, read 255,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It would take time to build the trust again. And it depends on the circumstances that led up to the cheating, why he was attracted to her, how long the affair lasted and I would have to feel for certain that he wouldn't be tempted to stray again... ever.

oh he didnt cheat! he lied to me...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,046 times
I think the person who has broken the trust must accept that they will be under question for a long time and be willing to put up with suspicion without getting angry or upset about it. It takes a great deal of understanding and talking to get any semblance of trust back, there are no quick fixes and more often than not it will never come back completely.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Whatever the reason, your trust for him has been broken.
You can either forgive him, and let it go, or hold resentment, and be miserable.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:44 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I don't know if you can. I've never had much luck at recovering from that.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:25 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie_downs View Post
oh he didnt cheat! he lied to me...
So what did he lie to you about? And why did he lie to you? Then did he own up to his lie or did you find him out? Every breach of trust issue is different...

Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I caught my wife in a lie early in our relationship. It was just something she mentioned that I knew wasn't true. I let it slide for awhile but tried to get her to fess-up later. When she stuck with the story, I told her I knew it was a lie. She stuck with the lie -- said that was her story and she was sticking to it.

It wasn't a huge lie, but it was blatant, and the fact she lied bothered me a great deal. If she'd have admitted it when I questioned her on it, I'd have asked her to marry me right then, but because she stuck with it I waited two more years before I asked.

I haven't forgotten it, and I feel like if I had to ask her a tough question, I wouldn't be able to put much stock in her answer. As a result, I don't ask tough questions.

I don't dwell on it, and I forgive her for it, but it did result in less trust from me. That was nine years ago. We'd have a stronger marriage had it never happened, but we still have a good marriage.

It's not uncommon at all for people to lie, especially to those we love. We want them to be happy and love us, so it's very tempting to give the answer we know they want to hear instead of being truthful and hurting them -- and possibly us. That's not all bad, but when they get caught with that first lie, it's harder to believe anything that's said. Is she telling me she loves me because she really means it or because she knows it's what I want to hear?

My late wife would tell me little fibs too. I caught her in lots of them -- usually about former friends and lovers. She'd blush a little and compliment me on remembering everything she ever said to me -- so I'd catch the fibbing. They never bothered me. We'd both laugh about it. Lots of couples refuse to discuss former lovers at all, so the fact that she would share most of it with me was a bonus. She was very open with me, but she'd just say, for example, that so-and-so in her past (nobody I knew) was strictly a friend, and then a year later let it slip that they'd had sex a time or two.

I think because my late wife was so open with me, because she never denied the lie when I'd catch her, and because she was so loving, trust was never an issue whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships