Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times

Advertisements

A brief story- I sat next to the same guy at the sports bar all this football season, we sort of "flirted" off and on, although nothing really serious. So, last weekend, I actually took the plunge and gave him my number. He gave me his. We've been texting back and forth, and he asked me out to get food and drinks this weekend. So, now my question is, how do I overcome any uncomfortable silences that may occur? I feel there will be more pressure because now we are on an actual "date", where as before, we just talked back and forth at the bar.
Any tips? does this happen to any of you guys? where you're nervous because it's an actual date now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
A brief story- I sat next to the same guy at the sports bar all this football season, we sort of "flirted" off and on, although nothing really serious. So, last weekend, I actually took the plunge and gave him my number. He gave me his. We've been texting back and forth, and he asked me out to get food and drinks this weekend. So, now my question is, how do I overcome any uncomfortable silences that may occur? I feel there will be more pressure because now we are on an actual "date", where as before, we just talked back and forth at the bar.
Any tips? does this happen to any of you guys? where you're nervous because it's an actual date now?
People do not always need to be talking every second your with one another, if there is silence, go with it, look around, but for goodness sakes, don't feel you have to talk the guys ear off, every second your with him. Go with it...and if there is silence, and there will be, take a moment to excuse yourself and go to the ladies room, give him a chance to feel comfortable...or, look around the room, maybe point out something which interests you...but allow silence, now and then. It's ok.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Honestly, I go into "dates" like they are going to turn out to be no big deal, therefore, I do not become nervous with anticipation. I do not build the guys up in my head to be bigger than they really are. I let them surprise me. Just be yourself and be casual. Obviously that is what he finds most appealing about you.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
Just let it flow. I think now that your interaction is more "formal", both parties may feel a little more self conscious. If football was the basis of you meeting, then you can start there, unless you are a Lions fan, and there's really nothing to say. LOL It doesn't hurt to have a few topics in your back pocket to keep things moving if that happens. Who knows, you might have a lot to talk about, and this won't be an issue.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM

ok, good tip! Because now I also have the added pressure of "what do I wear, etc"!! It's not like he's a stranger or a blind date, we've been sitting next to each other for 3 months!! I guess I'm just nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
People do not always need to be talking every second your with one another, if there is silence, go with it, look around, but for goodness sakes, don't feel you have to talk the guys ear off, every second your with him. Go with it...and if there is silence, and there will be, take a moment to excuse yourself and go to the ladies room, give him a chance to feel comfortable...or, look around the room, maybe point out something which interests you...but allow silence, now and then. It's ok.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 AM

another good tip, thanks! "jeepgirl", I wil have to try and not talk too much, also! Hopefully he will do most of the talking!
But you're right, be casual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Honestly, I go into "dates" like they are going to turn out to be no big deal, therefore, I do not become nervous with anticipation. I do not build the guys up in my head to be bigger than they really are. I let them surprise me. Just be yourself and be casual. Obviously that is what he finds most appealing about you.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 AM

Ha! Ha! well, both our teams got knocked out of the playoffs last weekend, so we've been consoling ourselves over that already!
I'm trying to think of some topics now to be prepared! I know very little about him since we only really talk sports.
Good idea! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Just let it flow. I think now that your interaction is more "formal", both parties may feel a little more self conscious. If football was the basis of you meeting, then you can start there, unless you are a Lions fan, and there's really nothing to say. LOL It doesn't hurt to have a few topics in your back pocket to keep things moving if that happens. Who knows, you might have a lot to talk about, and this won't be an issue.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
Quote:
Find out his teams and bring them up in conversations as if you were a fan . You may now relax, as I just turned you into his "dream girl"!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 AM

well, I couldn't jump ship on my own team, but I do mention things about his team. He could already be impressed that i like football as much as I do.
I want to talk about other things, but I'm nervous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Find out his teams and bring them up in conversations as if you were a fan . You may now relax, as I just turned you into his "dream girl"!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Ha! Ha! well, both our teams got knocked out of the playoffs last weekend, so we've been consoling ourselves over that already!
I'm trying to think of some topics now to be prepared! I know very little about him since we only really talk sports.
Good idea! thanks!

Bring a notebook with topics to discuss. I'm sure he'll be very impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships