Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:29 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yes, dinner is a great time to be a family...Every night we have dinner together and on the weekends breakfast is added as our sacred time.

There was a woman in our former neighborhood who prepared a separate dinner for her kids and fed them before her husband came home. They would put the kids to bed and then the parents would have dinner together, alone...I always hated that...every night!
I really don't get some parents, as a friend of mine says and he's kidding, but "You should have to take a test before becoming a parent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
This is why my kids don't bounce from one activity to the next. The family dinner table is a sacred tradition. We talk to our kids at this time. We talk politics, drugs, sex, our own past experience, EVERYTHING. This is when we impart our own wisdom to our kids. Sometimes there are topics on which my husband and I do not agree, and these are the best talks! That way the kids get two sides of a topic.

This was missing from my own childhood. We had ballet, gymnastics, swimming, piano, baton twirling, and softball going on. We rarely ate together and never had great talks with our parents about life. I'm not bashing my parents, they did the best they could. But I wish they had passed on more wisdom to us.
Nothing gets in the way of the dinner hour. It's when you know what's going on with your kids. It also cements a belief that the family takes precedent over activities, friends, etc.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Dinner hour at my house growing up, too. Well, I don't know if it was an hour or 45 minutes or whatever, but it was dinner together on the table. On weekends, it was also breakfast together on the table.

I like this part of what you said the best, cpg:

1) You don't need a man to make you happy. Happiness comes from within, not without.

Omg. If people just realized that one simple fact, how different would this world be?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nothing gets in the way of the dinner hour. It's when you know what's going on with your kids. It also cements a belief that the family takes precedent over activities, friends, etc.
Good post, tried to rep ya but gotta spread the love.

My SO's brothers families no one cooks or has a set time together to sit down and eat as a family.

Sad if you ask me.

When I was growing up we sat down for dinner at the same time most nights. There were the occasional pizza nights or that kind of thing.

Same with my SO's family which is surprising why no one in her family doesn't do it.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I really don't get some parents, as a friend of mine says and he's kidding, but "You should have to take a test before becoming a parent".
I tend to agree with your friend But I am being serious

Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Default You're Missing Context

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
In reading another thread, someone wrote, that while in high school, all the girls talked about was getting married and having babies.
This was very much a class issue when I was growing up:

Lower Class - all the girls talked about was having babies.

Working Class - all the girls talked about was getting married and having babies.

Middle Class - all the girls talked about was getting married to an upper class guy and making their friends envious.

Upper Class - all the girls talked about was running off and getting married to a low class stud and pissing off their parents.

And the guys.............

Lower Class - find the girls who want a baby and then live with another while she is pregnant. After that switch between whoever is not forcing you to sleep on the couch.

Working Class - drop out of school on June 9th, your 16th birthday / two weeks before grade 7 would be complete / your "parole" date. Get a job, buy a car and find someone who wants to get married and have babies. Hope she looks good in a maternity wedding dress.

Middle Class - Hope that your law degree or MD plus 5 years of hard work will make you look prosperous enough that middle class females will think you are upper class.

Upper Class - drop out of school and start enjoying the attention of all the middle class girls who are after you. Make a weekly trip to the VD clinic. (I'm dating myself - this was pre-AIDS)

Old 01-03-2009, 02:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This was very much a class issue when I was growing up:

Lower Class - all the girls talked about was having babies.

Working Class - all the girls talked about was getting married and having babies.

Middle Class - all the girls talked about was getting married to an upper class guy and making their friends envious.

Upper Class - all the girls talked about was running off and getting married to a low class stud and pissing off their parents.

And the guys.............

Lower Class - find the girls who want a baby and then live with another while she is pregnant. After that switch between whoever is not forcing you to sleep on the couch.

Working Class - drop out of school on June 9th, your 16th birthday / two weeks before grade 7 would be complete / your "parole" date. Get a job, buy a car and find someone who wants to get married and have babies. Hope she looks good in a maternity wedding dress.

Middle Class - Hope that your law degree or MD plus 5 years of hard work will make you look prosperous enough that middle class females will think you are upper class.

Upper Class - drop out of school and start enjoying the attention of all the middle class girls who are after you. Make a weekly trip to the VD clinic. (I'm dating myself - this was pre-AIDS)
FINALLY, a post that covers all possibilities. Now this thread can be closed.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times
It all starts in the home. A home where respect for God and his laws and principles are instilled in children. That's the best way to give them a fighting chance at all other outside forces.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
It all starts in the home. A home where respect for God and his laws and principles are instilled in children. That's the best way to give them a fighting chance at all other outside forces.
I've seen way to many parents, push God on their children, and sometimes it works, sometimes it causes them to rebel, big time....God is good in all life experiences...but...as in everything else, within reason...and moderation, discussing all issues openly with children meaning, drugs, sex, etc...is also good. God is not going to keep children from making bad choices...but children watching parents set examples living their lives by example is another story. God doesn't wave any magic wands and make children listen...he gives them free will, to make choice...that is what the gift of life is, free will and choice...so, again, it all comes back to the parents...and teaching children manners, respect for themselves...and guidelines...children must learn to respect the space and property of others, they must learn that life is not a fairy tail...and also, know, they must work hard for what they want...strive to be the best that they can be, and it be made known to them, that they have so much potential to do and be anything they so choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships