Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times

Advertisements

This happened to my grandmother a few years back. She had a number of strokes, one large stroke and several 'mini-strokes'. Anyhow, she had to go to pt and speech therapy and the pt and speech therapist dropped her after 6 months for not cooperating. So for another year or so we all just kind of sat and did not know what to do and then finally, one of her in-home care nurses was fired and the next thing you know, a whole new woman emerged from my grandmother. She was willing to do just about anything to recover and she has been doing very well ever since. We later found out that one of the medications that my grandmother was taking was causing her to be this way and the nurse was overdosing her on it so that my grandmother would just sleep all of the time. I'm not suggesting that this is what is going on with you, but if she is taking any medication, it may be altering her mood in ways that no one can really understand. It may be altering her personality, behavior and mental state. Check her medications out, if she is taking any, and talk to her primary care doctor if you think this could be a contributor to her behavior.
Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you other than to hang in there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is a PT? And have you had a two way discussion with her? Did you set rules with her like you would a child? Schedule activities and quality time with her? Or maybe she flat out doesn't like you and living with you and is being rightfully passive aggressive....
Physical Therapy. I can't believe you are so obtuse, Artsy!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Mrs. Stewart, just tell Nana that you are at your wits end with her behavior and you fear for her well-being and that she leaves you no choice but to put her in a home. That ought to snap her old *ss out of the funk she's in.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
MRstewart, I think you need to change the two first letters of your name to uppercase, so everyone really knows who you are...

Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As many of you know my grandmother lives with me and my family. She did not go to live with her children because my father is almost completely deaf from artillery ear and my aunt, is well, a loser.

So Grannie is here, had Lymes Disease this summer, went through physical therapy and was doing great. Well, now she had to start PT again because she refuses to get up and out of her suite. She sits and watched tv. This woman was a book editor and she just prefers to rot.

Her doctor has her on antidepressants which seem to help some. Her PT said we should not request she do her exercises because she needs to do it herself.

Her doctor has instructed us not to take her meals to her but she can come out and eat with the family...well, when we do this, she will stay in there for 2 days at a time and will not eat and then when she comes out she will pretend to fall...we have seen her pretend to fall

Now her PT and doc are telling us to put her in a nursing home...not assisted living, but a nursing home if she is not compliant. She was fired from her PT this morning for non compliance...

Anyone have any tips?? She is such a great lady but very stubborn...I wonder where I get it
No matter what these doctors have said, bring her food to her from now on. And make her do her excercise. She has to be treated like a child, she is after all an old lady and apparently a stubborn one too . Does your grandmother have interests in arts and crafts or any other activites? What else does she do all day?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
MRstewart, I think you need to change the two first letters of your name to uppercase, so everyone really knows who you are...
Can I do that??? I was even thinking M.R.Stewart...that might be better, huh?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
No matter what these doctors have said, bring her food to her from now on. And make her do her excercise. She has to be treated like a child, she is after all an old lady and apprently a stubborn one too . Does your grandmother have interests in arts and crafts or any other activites? What else does she do all day?
She was VERY active in a VERY sketchy church that bilked her of her savings and my grandfathers life insurance policy...another story...

I was thinking about taking her to a Senior Citizens type daycare place...they hang out with other people their own age, read the paper, go to lunch, do crafts, etc.

Any thoughts about that? I have little kids and have not dealt with the elderly much at all...I guess I am getting a crash course

Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Bless you for having her in your home and trying to do the right thing in the first place. This can be a very frustrating time in any family's life - you want to treat grandma with the respect she deserves but she is acting more and more like a child. Have you looked into any support groups nearby to have folks to talk to in similar situations?
Now you've got it...I want to treat her like an adult and give her choices about her care but she does not want to take part in it. She wants to be free of all decisions and I have a hard time making decisions for her when her mind is still so sharp...this is just as much about my inability to deal with the role change as it is her inability...

Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
She was VERY active in a VERY sketchy church that bilked her of her savings and my grandfathers life insurance policy...another story...

I was thinking about taking her to a Senior Citizens type daycare place...they hang out with other people their own age, read the paper, go to lunch, do crafts, etc.

Any thoughts about that? I have little kids and have not dealt with the elderly much at all...I guess I am getting a crash course
If she enjoys spending time with your kids, get her to teach them something fun and interesting that only she can. Like knitting or drawing. I can tell you right now she is not going to like going to a senior center. The experience will be like dropping a frightened child off to pre-school for the first time when they are used to being with mom all day. She'll throw a fit and it may be harder for her to get over it because she is an adult but she is also dependent (and stubborn ). You can look into having someone come and take care of her a bit more to free up your time. Are all of your children in school?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
If she enjoys spending time with your kids, get her to teach them something fun and interesting that only she can. Like knitting or drawing. I can tell you right now she is not going to like going to a senior center. The experience will be like dropping a frightened child off to pre-school for the first time when they are used to being with mom all day. She'll throw a fit and it may be harder for her to get over it because she is an adult but she is also dependent (and stubborn ). You can look into having someone come and take care of her a bit more to free up your time. Are all of your children in school?
She has a home health care worker that comes all day and she loves her...but grannie is still stubborn...

I have 2 little ones at home and 4 in school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships