Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,862,680 times

Advertisements

No surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,242,895 times
Yep, ask Bristol Palin about that approach...

Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yep, ask Bristol Palin about that approach...
Oh yea, lets not forget to congratulate Bristol Palin - Newest unwed teen mom on the block

Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM

I sort of feel bad for her but her mother did not want sex ed taught in the schools at all...didn't help out too much, eh?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
and sex ed failed britney's younger sister and a host of others. The form of education didn't fail, the person's choice was the failure. Back before sex ed there weren't nearly as many kids having kids. The problem of kids having kids is much more complex than what is taught in school. After all, how much of what kids learn in school sticks in their head? It involves their home life, their parents or lack of, trauma they may have gone through, their enviroment (TV, movies, video games, surrounding culture), and so on. It isn't wrong to tell kids abstenance is the only 100% effective form of birth control and STD prevention. It isn't wrong to tell them they should wait until they're married or an adult before having sex. But after telling them this, they should (and some abstenance education programs do this) tell them about condoms and other forms of birth control. Teenagers know about sex and condoms from movies, tv, and the internet so don't blame abstenance only education. They're just too dumb, lazy, or selfish to consider getting a cheap condom before having sex. And why bring in someone's daughter on this topic? Do you hate her so much that you have to constantly insultingly bring her up on message board topics outside the politics boards?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I sort of feel bad for her but her mother did not want sex ed taught in the schools at all...didn't help out too much, eh?
Mom also wanted rape victims to pay for their own rape test kits at a cost of $1200 each, which prevented numerous victims from coming forward and reporting these crimes.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
and sex ed failed britney's younger sister and a host of others. The form of education didn't fail, the person's choice was the failure. Back before sex ed there weren't nearly as many kids having kids. The problem of kids having kids is much more complex than what is taught in school. After all, how much of what kids learn in school sticks in their head? It involves their home life, their parents or lack of, trauma they may have gone through, their enviroment (TV, movies, video games, surrounding culture), and so on. It isn't wrong to tell kids abstenance is the only 100% effective form of birth control and STD prevention. It isn't wrong to tell them they should wait until they're married or an adult before having sex. But after telling them this, they should (and some abstenance education programs do this) tell them about condoms and other forms of birth control. Teenagers know about sex and condoms from movies, tv, and the internet so don't blame abstenance only education. They're just too dumb, lazy, or selfish to consider getting a cheap condom before having sex. And why bring in someone's daughter on this topic? Do you hate her so much that you have to constantly insultingly bring her up on message board topics outside the politics boards?
I brought her up and have never brought her up before...it was an example, for goodness sake...a valid one, if I might add.

The Spears girl also had a baby as a teen but the Palin baby was last week so that is a little fresher on the mind...since we do not live in the same community, her situation was a good reference that we would all know...not picking on her. Poor thing has alot on her plate and I truly wish her well.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Oh, and the rate of teen pregnancies went down in the 80s not because of sex education. It went down due to the fear of AIDs. Today's young people have never seen someone die from aids and see people living with aids like Magic Johnson.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Oh, and the rate of teen pregnancies went down in the 80s not because of sex education. It went down due to the fear of AIDs. Today's young people have never seen someone die from aids and see people living with aids like Magic Johnson.
I can vouch for the AIDS scare...I was but a wee teen in the 80's and it was a very scary time...hell, I'm lucky I ever had sex Pssst, don't tell my dad

Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Can't disagree with that one.

Quote:
I can vouch for the AIDS scare...I was but a wee teen in the 80's and it was a very scary time...hell, I'm lucky I ever had sexPssst, don't tell my dad
That is it young man! I am telling your father that you had sex when you were only 17! Outrageous, I can't believe that a 17 year old full of testosterone would ever do such a thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships