Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, God. There's nothing worse than a fear-based decision maker. You have my absolute sympathies.

All my in-laws are like that. When we first couched our sailing idea, they were horrified. What if the boat sank? What if this? What if that?
Life is one big what if. Robert Pelton had some interesting stats in one of his "Worlds most dangerous places" books. He calculated you were safer traveling than being at home. 5000 people die a year in the USA falling down the stairs, 300 die slipping in their bathtub, 120 die from their toasters, 150 die from getting hit by deer while driving, etc.

Sailing is one of those things you better know what the hell you are doing. If you are well trained you'll minimize the risk. Who knows you might die sailing, but you also could get blown away in an armed robbery or get run over while checking the mail. God knows. Nobody gets out of this alive I do know that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Anyone else around who feels like selling it all, quitting your job and taking off to another life? My husband and I talk about it all the time...just taking the kids out of school and living a slower paced life without all of the distractions...

What would have to happen for you to do it?
I would have never expected a post like this from you. You always seem cheery and upbeat about your life.

Hence the name "Polly"

I think about this all of the time. I've been in the same line of work for a long time now and I'm finally realizing that most of my stress comes from work.

I need a major change. I'd love to sell my home and move to a cheaper location, downscale everything, and get a job that doesn't stress me so much.

I know that my personality is such that I tend to stress easily, but still I do know that a great deal of the stress I have is real.

I've often thought about selling the house and going and checking out all of the Mediterranean countries for about 4 or 5 months.

Don't know if I have the stones to do that.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I am upbeat about our life but I want to experience more with them than the rat race of life...it is hard to verbalize. I start to wonder what is this all for anyway?? We all end up dying in the end and I hate the thought of not doing what we dream of doing! That is my biggest fear...to lay on my death bed and wish I had done this or that...

But making it happen is another story. Getting rid of the practice and business, finding a way to school the kids, dragging my grannie with us, unloading this high maintenance house and finding a new way to exist is overwhelming.

I cannot tell you how nice it would be to live a weekend without a patient calling my house...it is terrible. They call at all hours and make no apologies for it.

I better stop. For those who do not know me it sounds like I am whining...I'm not. It just gets old to be a hostage to so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would have never expected a post like this from you. You always seem cheery and upbeat about your life.

Hence the name "Polly"

I think about this all of the time. I've been in the same line of work for a long time now and I'm finally realizing that most of my stress comes from work.

I need a major change. I'd love to sell my home and move to a cheaper location, downscale everything, and get a job that doesn't stress me so much.

I know that my personality is such that I tend to stress easily, but still I do know that a great deal of the stress I have is real.

I've often thought about selling the house and going and checking out all of the Mediterranean countries for about 4 or 5 months.

Don't know if I have the stones to do that.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:25 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
once school is over and done with I am going on the open road

You do not need millions to follow your dreams for those who keep saying they need to win the lotto. Just be creative.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:26 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
But making it happen is another story. Getting rid of the practice and business, finding a way to school the kids, dragging my grannie with us, unloading this high maintenance house and finding a new way to exist is overwhelming.

I cannot tell you how nice it would be to live a weekend without a patient calling my house...it is terrible. They call at all hours and make no apologies for it.
Making it happen does seem overwhelming. Thinking about all of the logistics and dealing with probably not having as much money or the luxuries that money buys etc. makes it seem impossible.

I'm on call every 6 weeks and I absolutely hate it. I usually don't have any calls but just knowing that you have to be available sucks.

I couldn't imagine getting calls direct to your home.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Making it happen does seem overwhelming. Thinking about all of the logistics and dealing with probably not having as much money or the luxuries that money buys etc. makes it seem impossible.

I'm on call every 6 weeks and I absolutely hate it. I usually don't have any calls but just knowing that you have to be available sucks.

I couldn't imagine getting calls direct to your home.
Yes, it is a crappy situation...they call when he is not even on call...ridiculous... they say "Well, he grew up down the street from me and I figured I could call" on and on and on...

The tasks seem overwhelming but we would just need to put one foot in front of the other and do it...

Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
That is all it would take for me as well...I could leave in a minute...
Quote:
I'm thinking more along the lines of Fiji...MRStewart is not a camper!
LOL, I had some questions along the lines below...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Why do you think I take so many vacations now!!
That's what I'd like to know! C'mon, don't be selfish - share the SECRET!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's what I'd like to know! C'mon, don't be selfish - share the SECRET!

Dave Ramsey baby! LOL

Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Dave Ramsey, still working on step 1

If I could I would see the US via RV I would have to have a dog or two with me though for company

Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Dave Ramsey baby! LOL
When did he start running the lottery and how did you get him to draw your numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships