Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I disagree....I think moving around is fun. I can't stand it when someone who has lived in the same place their whole life apply the "running from something" crap. I always retort that they stay in the same place because they are HIDING from the unknown. They like the control of being one place and having everything happen as it does and should. The need the peace of monotony because they are too insecure within to deal with chaos.

Home is where my feet are to me. Everything else is scenery...And whats wrong with stimulating a bit of change. Change is life. Static is death. Arrested development.
Oh yeah moving is fun. I think it is good to experience different things in life. No question. Changing is good and evolving is good. I do it all the time. I am always looking for new challenges. And also as time goes by what may have been important at 20, is not as important at 30 and totally irrelevant at 40.

But if you are moving to escape your problems, you can't. If you are a mental case on the west coast you'll be a mental case on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

CD is filled with people posting threads looking for that geographic cure. If you are unhappy as a person in Vermont, you'll be unhappy in Colorado or Florida or wherever.
Good post.

I agree, this point got drilled home to me a couple of years ago. I was with the same company for 15 yrs and finally got fed up with all of the BS and left to another company within the same industry doing pretty much the same job. I have to deal with the same crap, just answer the cell with a different company name.

So the point is you need to look within for change not some much on the outside. Obviously this isn't alway true but generally speaking it is.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It depends on who they are as a person. There are some people that having a simple job, starting a family young and living in their hometown works for them. That never would have worked for me because I'm not a simple person with 9 to 5 desires.

So that is thing is being in touch with yourself and living a life you can be happy with. There are a lot of people that enjoy traveling and moving and there is nothing wrong with that. But if they are moving or traveling to escape themselves, they never will. Because they are always there.

CD is filled with people posting threads looking for that geographic cure. If you are unhappy as a person in Vermont, you'll be unhappy in Colorado or Florida or wherever.
I agree that one size doesn't fit all. Also, just to be clear, I would never got back to the slummy L.A. suburbs I was born in. And while my life has been stable relationship-wise, I have yearned for more too. I went to school thousands of miles from home in the coolest city of them all in the 90s -- Seattle. I studied English lit. and wanted to be a writer -- spent many long, dedicated hours to honing the craft. After college, I decided to join the Army to see the world while I figured out what I really wanted to do my life. I work public affairs -- as Army jobs go, it's kind of a glamour job. I've met dozens of high profile celebrities and politicians, and I've done cool military things .. hanging out of helicopters and stuff. It's been way more adventerous than my other viable options after college: mid level management or teaching, but still I think more people would be happier if they focused on growing where they're planted. The most rewarding part of my life is the one I've stuck with for 18 years. My job is fun, and I've been stationed some cool places, but the more I taste new things, the more I want. It's like salt. Simple appetites make for contented stomachs, I think.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 PM

378 posts, read 772,383 times
It sounds like you don't like them (can't blame you from your description), so be happy they're gone. Personally, I don't presume why people do the things they do, I'm too imperfect to judge.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
It sounds like you don't like them (can't blame you from your description), so be happy they're gone. Personally, I don't presume why people do the things they do, I'm too imperfect to judge.
I used them as an example of people running from their issues rather than facing them and doing the hard work it takes to work through the imperfections... I could take them or leave them...I don't dislike them.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Do you have a crush on the husband or something???

Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,436 times
Default An exception to every rule...

The only time I would not advise a person to stay and face their problem(s) is if they happen to live in the Deep South or say Northern Idaho, and they are an interracial family!

Those kinds of "problems" are better off left behind IMO.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
The only time I would not advise a person to stay and face their problem(s) is if they happen to live in the Deep South or say Northern Idaho, and they are an interracial family!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post

They are neither of these things...they just can't seem to deal with themselves and keep having the same issues wherever they go...I can't believe they are trying to sell in this economy!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I've Loved Living heer in the forest of my mountains fer over 4 lustrums Happily..............................

When i was a youngster i loved traveling to different states every year or two as an Army brat......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships